The synth used in Toni Braxton's "You're Makin' Me High"?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
frankstuartbrowne

The synth used in Toni Braxton's "You're Makin' Me High"?

Post by frankstuartbrowne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I've been trying to recreate the exact sound used in this song using VSTs. It's the portamento saw wave lead. I am open to the idea of hunting down the original synth, and if it's worth it (and affordable), I may purchase it. Does anyone know exactly what was used?

cgren72

Re: The synth used in Toni Braxton's "You're Makin' Me High"

Post by cgren72 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I am not going to be much help, but just practice with the vsts, or download some saw lead presets. It should be pretty easy to recreate. It sounds like an lfo is set to modulate the oscs pitch and is probably routed to a modwheel. My advice is to stay away from the lpf, and other than that, it should be pretty simple. I think this patch is all about the envelope. Its basically, like you said, just a saw wave. I don't think that you should buy any certain synth to make this sound

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:07 pm

The patch also has a bit of delay on it too. I would totally skip out on the lpf, and make the patch as simple as possible, then just dress it up with a tad of delay.

frankstuartbrowne

Post by frankstuartbrowne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I appreciate it. I have and I've gotten close, but nothing measures up to the quality. So far I've tried the free MiniMogue, Phutura, and also demoed Arturia's Mini V. The Mini V sounds the best, but it still just doesn't have that quality. Are there any other one's you recommend?

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:19 pm

http://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6

This one is nice. Probably one of the best free ones around.

Just use one osc, no unison or anything, and focus on getting the envelope right, and setting up the lfo as you like it. Then slap some delay on it. The delay is key, and it will probably take more tweaking than the synth patch itself.

frankstuartbrowne

Post by frankstuartbrowne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Thank you! I will try this and get back to you.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

This sound is so basic that it's just basic subtractive synthesis applied really. Could be done on anything that has a sawtooth oscillator and envelopes. The producer probably used some generic VST in Protools :)