Syncing hardware to DAW?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
william

Syncing hardware to DAW?

Post by william » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi,
New here.
In the past few years, I've been recording using primarily soft synths only (aside from some recordings of vintage hardware - no MIDI, etc.)

I'm just buying some new hardware: Korgasm - Radias, Nord - Lead 1...

Will the MIDI input to these devices (or USB in case of the Korg) from my DAW, sync with the BPM (in Logic Pro X) automatically, for arpeggiators, etc.?

Excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for your insights.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Syncing hardware to DAW?

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:51 pm

You need to set clock as external probably for syncing. There may also be a delay, which Logic has compensation for.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm not in front of my music computer right now, but short answer yes.
You can sync Logic to external Midi so that your hardware sequencer or drum machine is the master.
Or going the other way you can make Logic the master and have the other boxes receive their tempo from Logic.
I actually run my analog drum machine's DIN sync to a X0Xbox, which is then the 'master' for all midi units downstream, including Logic.

Anther way of going about it is to just track your stuff 'wild' into Logic, then conform the timing of Logic to those midi events or audio tracks.
The idea being you record with default project settings, lets say 120bpm. Then after the fact you use beat detection to figure out what the tempo is. For example if it detects 77bpm it changes project tempo to that.
Many drum machines and sequencers drift a bit in timing. So then you get into tempo mapping. Lets say it starts at 77bpm, but goes up to 80bpm by the middle of the song, and then back down to 77bpm. You would have a curve or inverted V for your tempo map. (or more often a glitchy staircase).
I used to do this quite often in Sonar before I switched to Logic. I know Logic can do this, I just haven't gotten around to learning to do it that way.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

william

Post by william » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 pm

thanks, I appreciate your time/insights

2manydrummachines

Post by 2manydrummachines » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:03 am

Which hardware are you planning to sync to it. Old Roland TR drum machines seem to work fine with Logic Pro 9. The newer hardware from Elektron does well too. I set them to receive the clock from Logic. What I plan on trying and it was my whole point in buying Logic was to see if it could receive MIDI DUMP (which means accept a transfer of MIDI information from a channel on a workstation like an MPC, sampling workstation or even a Groovebox) not dump everything hardware and go soley to software based everything. Why would someone want to try that in addition to syncing? Because the software is different when compared to the hardware machine.

Have you ever thought of routing your soft-synths out of your DAW to a hard d**k recorder or tape machine? You could always fly them back into the DAW after they get some attention outside of it.