V Synth question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
william

V Synth question

Post by william » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am

I'm sitting here, trying to make some decisions on changing up my gear.

I live in the middle of NowHere, (remote mountains in Canada) and I don't have the ability to go to a store and play with hardware to compare. I get a lot of insight here, and on YTube.
One of the pieces of kit up for consideration is the V Synth.

Question:
With a V Synth, is it possible to get digi AUDIO out through the USB port?
I see that the units have S/PDF & Coaxial ports, but I don't understand how I would get that digital audio signal into my DAW?

Thanks

:0)

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Re: V Synth question

Post by _seph » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 am

if you're considering the newer V-Synth GT, then yes the USB port apparently does work as a USB audio interface.

if you're looking at the original V-Synth then no, its USB port only supports MIDI and file transfers. although it looks as though its rack mount counterpart the V-Synth XT does stream audio via USB

otherwise to get sound into your DAW you will need an audio interface of some kind and as we're talking of Roland, here's an affordable model that they make~

so this gives you two analog ins (via 1/4"/XLR combo jacks) and two digital ins (via S/PDIF) so you could choose to connect the V-Synth with either.

as for your consideration of the V-Synth, I give it my highest recommendation. of all of the synths ever made it is my favorite and I've said this before but, personally I feel that the V-Synth represents a pinnacle of synth/sampler evolution and that it is the culmination and ultimate expression of what is great about Roland, it is their masterpiece. enjoy.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 am

You'll need OS 2 for the USB audio, but it never worked for me on a Mac with Pro Tools. I didn't try very hard though, I was happy to use SPDIF.

Any audio interface with Spdif optical or coaxial will allow you to record the V Synth digitally. If you've a modern Mac with audio in it probably supports optical digital audio as well, in that case all you'd need is an optical cable with the right plugs at each end.

It's a great sounding synth, and it does a lot of stuff for one box- Variphrase is great fun, the VA is good, it can be used as an effects unit with the classic Roland and Boss effects in it, the D50 is excellent and the vocoder is pretty good.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am

Just get one. You won't be disappointed :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 pm

I recommend it as well, coolest synth ever made.