Lack of track solo option on Elektron boxes-opinion?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
breitt

Lack of track solo option on Elektron boxes-opinion?

Post by breitt » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm

I was so absorbed with my new Elektron A4 for the past week that I had just assumed that my inabiltiy to solo a track was the one procedure I couldn't glean on my own without cracking the manual. Lo and behold, after a quick Google search to confirm my fear, it is indeed true that you cannot solo tracks on any of the Elektrons except the Octatrack. I never knew this before, despite having owned the MD and the Mono. I had those over 6 years ago, so I guess my memory failed me there, but I was curious as to the technical (or economical?) reason that such a seemingly basic function would not have been implemented by Elektron. Any ideas or opinions?
Elektron Analog 4

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: Lack of track solo option on Elektron boxes-opinion?

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:27 am

Performance macros enable you to set up track solo and mute groups on the A4. Even with the solo function on the OT, I always used scenes for this type of thing (workflow and effect tails)

I think on all the elektron boxes (md for sure), function plus mutes, holds the mutes until function is released. That way you can drop all the tracks at the same time to pull off a pseudo solo mode.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:02 pm

I stand corrected. I expected someone to chime in and say that you are wrong and indeed it is an included feature and then detail the 15 button presses it takes to make it so. Much like the KORG heads who justify the lack of octave shift buttons (in place of the SW1 and SW2 buttons that should be used for, you know, octave shifting) by programming it in for their own patches.

I find these kinds of (basic) omissions in gear where the designers also make music. If they never use it, it's not really a missing feature.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Dumbest one ever on an elektron box...

The OT master volume knob can only be used to control the headphone volume. To control the master volume you have to go into the mixer page or hold a button while you turn a knob. Doh't!

Hard wired that way and not correctable through an OS update, they say.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 am

Those boxes get held up over my RS7000's head on occasion, so I'm always looking for reasons to knock them down a notch or two. However I don't think this would be a very good one to use as an argument against them in favor of the RS. I rarely to never have used the solo function on my RS. Muting tracks has always worked fine for me, and if you can remote mute without doing some funky sysex hex code thing to swap to an empty output channel on an expansion board that costs almost as much as the unit itself like you have to do with the RS, then I think you are more than good without solos. If I was an OS designer, I'd prob be more inclined to put the effort and using the limited firmware space for something more relevant, like perhaps a volume for the metronome would be a good trade off. I suppose if you are use to using solos though then that would suck, but if not than I am of the opinion that what you don't ever use, you probably won't miss much on it. On the other hand, I don't use the click count on my RS7000 either, let alone needing a volume for it, but it is probably the over all highest want on other owners update wish list that will never happen for the RS7000. If they are still updating the Electron machines, surely there is something else that you could ask them to prioritize before they get to programming solos? Something I could use to tell them why my RS7000 still kicks your Electron a*s?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:07 am

Sir Nose wrote:Dumbest one ever on an elektron box...

The OT master volume knob can only be used to control the headphone volume. To control the master volume you have to go into the mixer page or hold a button while you turn a knob. Doh't!

It's not a master volume knob, it's a headphone volume knob. ;) Headphone levels are something that you would often tweak in a live performance (what the OT is built for) but master output level isn't. So it actually makes perfect sense.

Low Life

Post by Low Life » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 am

Sir Nose wrote:Dumbest one ever on an elektron box...

And here I am wishing it worked that way on the Analog Four instead of controlling both volumes :lol: