Sync an old Roland arpeggiator with CV?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dswo

Sync an old Roland arpeggiator with CV?

Post by dswo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:31 am

Since I got my Juno 6, I've been looking at ways to sync the arpeggiator with my MIDI gear. I've come up with a few so far: the sync signal from a Korg Volca will produce eighth notes; the Korg SyncKontrol app can do the same thing (and produce 16th notes if I double the bpm); so can a drum machine, like the Alesis SR-16, with separate outputs.

I'm wondering, though: is this something the new Arturia Beatstep could do, since it outputs CV? Specifically: "BeatStep has a standard 1 volt per octave CV output as well as a standard 1 volt per octave GATE output." I'm new to both of these -- CV and the Roland arp sync -- so please tell me: if I plug a Beatstep into my Juno, will one of them start smoking?
David Wilson-Okamura

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Sync an old Roland arpeggiator with CV?

Post by Z » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 am

You can use the Beatstep or any other CV step sequencer to control the Juno's VCF via the VCF pedal input. There is no way to control the Juno's pitch externally.

The Juno's arpeggiator requires a 5V pulse signal from a drum machine trigger out or sequencer clock output.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 am

Z wrote:The Juno's arpeggiator requires a 5V pulse signal from a drum machine trigger out or sequencer clock output.
Thank you, Z.
David Wilson-Okamura

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 am

also thats some kind of typo in the arturia copy thats had some of us mildly confused for a bit, since gate signals dont scale. some synths require different voltages for a gate to fire, but that isnt a variable factor within a synth. likely someone just put 1V/oct to describe pitch and gate because theyd seen them written together a lot and were in a hurry; idk for sure but the gate signal probably has a level you can set, say 5 or 10V, to match whatever youre pluggin it into

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:14 am

moremagic wrote:also thats some kind of typo in the arturia copy thats had some of us mildly confused for a bit, since gate signals dont scale. some synths require different voltages for a gate to fire, but that isnt a variable factor within a synth. likely someone just put 1V/oct to describe pitch and gate because theyd seen them written together a lot and were in a hurry; idk for sure but the gate signal probably has a level you can set, say 5 or 10V, to match whatever youre pluggin it into
Ok, here's what the manual says:
These are the electrical signals sent by the BeatStep CV and Gate jacks:
• Control Voltage: 1 Volt/octave, from 0V to 7V
• Gate output: 8 Volts
I've looked through the manual twice, and don't see any way to change the gate voltage.
David Wilson-Okamura

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 am

well, given the reports of the minimum cv output being +2V and whatnot, i wouldnt be surprised either way if it made it into a firmware update. though 8V shd trigger most gear, which is a plus cuz sometimes the odd "+5V" gate needs a little more

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:32 am

I just checked the Juno 6 service manual; if it gives a voltage, I can't find it. The Juno 60 service manual lists it on the first page under specifications: "Arpeggio Clock Input: 1 step/pulse=+2.5V or more." That last part is ambiguous: is 8V "more" or "too much"?
David Wilson-Okamura

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:17 am

8V is totally fine.

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 am

Thank you, pflosi.
David Wilson-Okamura

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:11 pm

one fun thing you can do with a low arp trigger voltage like that is run your synth thru an envelope follower and plug that into the arpeggio trigger
i think it works best with a polysynth with heavy modulated pads so the response is so very erratic

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:32 am

Would it be possibly for someone to make a Max for MSP plugin to trigger the Juno 60? Even the TR-8 triggers the JU-60's arp great... until you try and play chords. I've been trying to master this for a while, and now seeing that the SBX-1 is $500 I'm definitely looking for cheaper options.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:51 am

JHatzia wrote:Would it be possibly for someone to make a Max for MSP plugin to trigger the Juno 60? Even the TR-8 triggers the JU-60's arp great... until you try and play chords. I've been trying to master this for a while, and now seeing that the SBX-1 is $500 I'm definitely looking for cheaper options.
I built a max for live device that did this a few years ago, it took about 20 minutes and is possibly the easiest thing I've ever made.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:41 am

Sharing is caring Stab Frenzy ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 am

JHatzia wrote:Sharing is caring Stab Frenzy ;)
Took a little bit of finding but here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mahq9z37nl7ap ... .amxd?dl=0

I put a little note on it to explain how to use it but it's pretty simple. Just route the output of the Instrument track it's on to an unused output on your soundcard and plug that into whatever you want to sync. :thumbleft:

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:19 am

Wow! Really awesome of you to provide that Stab. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting it to work. I'm sending it out of an output on my Scarlett 18i20 and into my Juno 60 with no luck. I tried a few different cables as well as tried to test it on an Akai AX60 and Volca Beats and for whatever reason it's not triggering any of them. I plugged in headphones to the assigned output and sure enough it's receiving the pulse, but it's not triggering any of my synths. I also played with the volume and panning but no luck. This may sound stupid but have you successfully triggered any synths with this plugin yet? It sounds exactly like that Korg app that syncs the Juno 60 quite well.