Sync an old Roland arpeggiator with CV?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Sync an old Roland arpeggiator with CV?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:56 am

No worries, happy to share it! I've used it to clock my modular and to sync the monotribe I used to have, both worked fine. It is basically the same as that korg app, although I made it so you could change the clock division too. It just sends the output high and then low again after a period of time, I think it was about 10ms but not sure off the top of my head.

Regarding panning, it only sends on output one which is the left output if you're sending it to a stereo pair, but I always just assigned it to a mono out. Not sure if your interface has output volume control but if so it should be set to full, and +4 rather than -10 if you have that option.

I used to use it with my motu traveler which had DC coupled outputs, but it should work fine with AC coupled outs too swing as it's just a low frequency square wave really. Maybe because it's only the rising edge of the waveform some interfaces might have an issue with it, but I would be surprised if that was the case. I'll try it out on my RME when I get some time in the next couple of days, see if it works fine on the gate input of my Minibrute.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:00 am

Also are you using an unbalanced cable on the output? Not sure if the outs on your interface are balanced, but that could mess with things too maybe.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:04 am

If anybody else wants to download this and try it out on their system then please do and report back here, I'd be keen to hear how it works for other people. If it's not working reliably for everyone I could try changing the pulse time to see if that improves it for people.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 am

I'll try ASAP stabs, thanks for the download. I'd guess that either it has to do with DC coupled outputs on the interface in JHatzia's case or too low levels...

You could also try loading this sampled sync pulse here and just "draw" the clock yourself in the DAW (thanks to Make Noise for the upload): http://www.makenoisemusic.com/manuals/modular-pulse.WAV

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:59 am

I used to do a similar thing to that with a pulse I drew by hand in Tools and then loaded into my MPC2500, worked totally fine even though the outputs are AC coupled. Was fun using note repeat to clock stuff.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:38 am

OK, so I checked out the M4L device with my RME Fireface UFX and my Minibrute, here are the results:

With the Fireface outputs set to +4dBu it worked perfectly fine, and kept working fine as I lowered the level in the Live mixer until I got to -8.9dBFS.
With the Fireface outputs set to -10dBV it worked fine, but stopped working when I turned the level in Live down to -0.1dBFS. This suggests to me that an interface which outputs at -10dBV would be marginal for clocking the Minibrute, and I would guess any other synth.

I tried lengthening time the gate signal was high but it didn't seem to change the effectiveness, that is to make the gate respond at a lower output level. That makes me think that the pulse time is not the issue in your case.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Hey Stab, I tried using both mono and stereo balanced cables as the outputs on the Scarlett 18i20 are balanced. I just got the Arturia Beatstep yesterday and I'm in love. It triggers the JU-60 perfectly. However, I'm glad you posted about your Max for Live app. If someone can get it to trigger the JU-60 properly, it's going to save a lot of headaches out there. I've been trying to properly trigger my JU-60 for almost two years with various different methods.