Octatrack Conspiracy?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Octatrack Conspiracy?

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 am

OK, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this may warrant one. I've been wanting to buy an Elektron Octatrack. But it's been backordered for several weeks, if not months. Seriously, you cannot buy one new anywhere (including Elektron's website).

I'm beginning to think Elektron is intentionally curtailing production of this model in order to push its new products, the Analog Keys and Rytm. Is this possible? Could Elektron be trying to divert customer dollars toward its newer products?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Octatrack Conspiracy?

Post by kuroichi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am

I imagine they aren't bothered which product you buy as long as you buy it really.

Its probably just that they offer six (soon to be seven) machines and can't keep it up with the production during new product development.

There have been periods in the past where they were sold out of all machines (when only the MD, MDUW and MnM existed) for a few weeks at a time.

However, here in the UK, I can get everything other than the RYTM, and if I paid in the next hour or so, it would be here tomorrow morning.

http://www.dv247.com/manufacturer/Elektron/1549
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am

Why not track down a used one?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:42 am

Alex E wrote:Why not track down a used one?
Oh, I've been doing that. But every used one I see on eBay goes for nearly full retail price, which I think is due to the fact that you can't buy new ones right now.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I imagine it's all hands on deck to get the RYTM out. I have toyed with selling my Octa to fund other stuff but know i'd regret it even though I have not spent the time on it I should. It's an amazing machine, just not as instant as the others and needs constant attention to get to grips with it.
It will be still in production as soon as the RYTM storm calms down I imagine.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:50 am

zoomtheline wrote:I imagine it's all hands on deck to get the RYTM out. **** It will still be still in production as soon as the RYTM storm calms down I imagine.
I hope so. Sometimes when a machine is backordered for a long time, it means the company is about to discontinue the item. I hope that Elektron isn't considering this with the Octatrack.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:11 am

Nah, it's a great machine and still relatively new if you consider the age of the MD & Mono.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:27 am

Found one! :)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri May 23, 2014 9:37 am

Nice one. Good luck and don't get disillusioned by the strange file hierarchy. It's the reason why my Octatrack is sat dormant until I am ready to spend the time. It's fairly simple once you get past certain bits but you do need to spend time with it often.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:54 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Nice one. Good luck and don't get disillusioned by the strange file hierarchy. It's the reason why my Octatrack is sat dormant until I am ready to spend the time. It's fairly simple once you get past certain bits but you do need to spend time with it often.
I agree; I think all Elektron products have a steep learning curve, and this may be the steepest of all. Thankfully, though, it's my second Elektron machine (I also have the A4), which I think helps a bunch. Within 30 minutes, I was loading samples, creating beats, and playing around with the retrig function (which is pretty cool). To take my first stab at sampling, I'm going to try to sample some synth loops from my Volcas this weekend. :)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 pm

The scenes are a beautiful thing as well. I'm still unclear on the file system and parts but, to be honest I have barely given it time. Happily still giving the machinedrum plenty of love.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 23, 2014 11:09 pm

I remember seeing a Monomachine in a store, and went to play with it. After 10 minutes I felt like a skinny ballet dancer going up against Hulk Hogan. I had no idea what I was doing.