Sequential Madness

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Sequential Madness

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:18 am

I broke down this afternoon, and have committed myself to purchase a vintage Sequential analog synthesizer.. My first, vintage analog synthesizer.. God help me!!

I am not too sure what the repercussions will be for what I've done.. I hope, in the end, it will be a positive experience.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Sequential Madness

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:41 am

Well, you're in for it now :D I'm actually in the process of scraping together the funds for a Prophet 600 I've got lined up, myself...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:43 am

Yes, when I said repercussions, I was referring to financial repercussions.. You mean you actually have the funds for yours?? :lol:

I first started looking for a Prophet 600, but decided they were just too expensive..

Then I found a local Six-Trak, which somebody traded a Poly Evolver for, before I even had a chance to look at it. A very bizarre trade, in my opinion, by the Poly Evolver owner.. For some reason he was apparently unhappy with his Poly Evolver and wanted a Six-Trak instead.

My prize is a Multi-Trak, that was blessed by and bought from Wine Country, back in the late 90s. The current owner of my Multi-Trak has a 600 and a T8! He claims he likes the 600 better than the T8, so I guess you've made a good choice. I hope my choice was a decent one.. For me, it was the least expensive way to get some vintage Sequential tone, other then the Arturia Prophet.

Speaking of Wine Country, I had to take a nice drink of Wine after it sunk in just how much this is going to cost me..

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 am

I love my six trak, I like the sound a lot more than my Juno 6. You'd have to be nuts to swap a poly evolver for one though!

Enjoy your Multitrak!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:02 am

Realistically, how much are you spending? A few hundred bucks? That's a pittance in the synth world. It's time to start worrying when you can justify in your mind spending $4k+ on something.
Do you even post on vse bro?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:02 am

SeventhStar wrote:Yes, when I said repercussions, I was referring to financial repercussions.. You mean you actually have the funds for yours?? :lol:

I first started looking for a Prophet 600, but decided they were just too expensive..
Only thanks to good timing, low living expenses, and selling a couple pieces of gear :lol: They are a bit pricey, but I managed to line one up for not too much more than I paid for my JX-10. I actually considered a Six-Trak myself, but I really want two oscillators per voice and one-knob-per-parameter more than I want low cost, multitimbral operation, and velocity sensitivity - I've got the SQ-80 for that.

On the bright side, their priciness means I should be able to get a pretty fair chunk back (or perhaps even turn a Prophet!) when I finally get to the point of wanting to trade up to a JP-6 ;)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

SeventhStar

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:48 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Realistically, how much are you spending? A few hundred bucks? That's a pittance in the synth world. It's time to start worrying when you can justify in your mind spending $4k+ on something.
Money is all relative to the individual and their circumstances. My circumstances right now are terrible.. A sane, financially responsible person, would not have made the purchase that I made at this time. Even though I just made it under the $500 ceiling I had set for my crazy self. I needed the extra debt like I needed a hole in the head. That is the meaning of the "madness" in the title of this thread. Apparently, I wasn't content with my Dark Star. I've been visiting this forum too much, which helped to instigate the purchase.

I kept telling myself, do not buy this synth, you cannot afford it right now, this is crazy.. In a moment of weakness, I bought the synth.. It is like the thing beckoned me to buy it.. I'm probably going to have to end up selling several things in the near future so I can pay my bills. If worse comes to worse I can always sell the synth too, as it is somewhat rare and I wasn't the only one interested in buying it.

At least I didn't spend the money on lap dances or something like that, which leaves you with nothing of any value afterwards.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:57 am

This forum is pure poison if you have GAS tendencies. I know from experience. I started buying vintage synths only after talking and reading about them here. It's a bottomless hole of stupidity.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Honestly, don't fall for the hype and don't buy s**t that affects your quality of life. I just did the same thing, but it was a Pro-One for $500. It's the really good deals that always get me. Messing up your life for full priced synths is a bad idea.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Bitexion wrote:This forum is pure poison if you have GAS tendencies. I know from experience. I started buying vintage synths only after talking and reading about them here. It's a bottomless hole of stupidity.
This. :lol:

I've mostly dug my way out and finally got rid of a lot of vintage synths. There are a few that I just can't bring myself to get rid of though. Now I'm obsessed with modern analogue gear! :ugeek:

SeventhStar

Post by SeventhStar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:28 am

The Multi-Trak is currently in transit and will arrive at my home on Monday!

I found this photo of a Black Cat reviewing programs in the Grimoire of Multi-Trak spells.
It is rumored that this cat had a hand (or a paw) in the creation of the recent Multi-Trak MIDI CC EPROM upgrade/mod, with its otherworldly VCO Envelope Scale Multiplier in Sequential increments. This mod may hold the key to opening portals to other dimensions.. Kind of like the Space Gates in Phantasm.

Maybe there is a higher power at work, in my obtaining this Multi-Trak. Did I really choose it, or did it choose me.. Perhaps, it will somehow help me to get back on Trak with my life.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Being financially responsible is all good and well, maybe even important- but, enjoying life on a day by day basis is also important. We who make music, at whatever level, can sometimes get gear-obsessive, and possibly make an un-wise choice to purchase some piece of gear that we may or may not really need. I always find myself justifying these purchases as "needs", no matter the truth. So, I'll just congratulate you on your recent new acquisition, while I play with my new Tempest, bought with tax refund money that was "supposed" to go in savings.
Bassist, synth junkie

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 pm

The worst thing for me is when I'm in long stretches of NOT making music at all, and still buy synths just because.
It went as far as buying a brand new Motif XF6 a couple years ago, even though i TOTALLY didn't need one in any way.
And that thing cost like £2500. I took to my senses and sold it 2 years later, but only got half price for it, got scammed by a foreigner whom I've never reached again. Needed the money more than the waiting..

Same thing with the Minibrute, I bought it cos it was new and hyped and analog. Hardly used it, been sitting in its box in a closet for over a year now. Guess that's going out the door soon too.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:37 pm

SeventhStar wrote: A sane, financially responsible person, would not have made the purchase that I made at this time.
Welcome to the madness of this board! FEW sane, financially responsible people come here!
Like most of us, you won't seek help until you take out a second mortgage to buy a few $K of vintage!
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Bitexion wrote:The worst thing for me is when I'm in long stretches of NOT making music at all, and still buy synths just because.
even worse, buying gear to try and get out of a creative slump.
Instead I end up in worse shape, burning up a whole weekend RTFM.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave