Sequential Madness

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Sequential Madness

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Vintage can be great when it works. I have reduced my setup to about a dozen synths, not including duplicates, mostly 'vintage', mostly 70s-80s... I'd say about half of it is out of action in some way at any given time. Sometimes it's the same kit showing faults over and over, sometimes it's a reliable stalwart that goes temporarily, mysteriously, boz-eyed. But it's unreliability is increasing in a slow, inexorable way that worries me. Gradually, as repair becomes ever more expensive, time-consuming, and perhaps even impractical, I am tempted to sell off a few pieces while they're good and replace 'em with something new. My oldest piece is 39 this year, and never works completely for more than a few weeks. Sigh.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Strangely enough, my oldest synth is the one that works best of the vintage ones I've owned. The Yamaha CS-5.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Bitexion wrote:Strangely enough, my oldest synth is the one that works best of the vintage ones I've owned. The Yamaha CS-5.
As are my KPR77 and Sh09. Though the KPR started making a weird bonk sound last week, power cycling brought it back in line. Lesson learned. Dont turn it on in 'write mode'!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 pm

i dont understand why people knock vintage gear; the repair guys were more unreliable than my polysix, but ive had all kinds of headaches from 90s and newer gear
honestly, i cant think of anything other than my ecler mixer and a couple of pedals that are younger than me that id even wanna think about keepin if i had to get rid of a bunch of stuff.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:40 am

The MULTI-TRAK has landed..

I was like a child receiving a birthday present. You know, one of those presents that wasn't clothing and was actually something you wanted. I feverishly opened the box and pulled the synth out of it!

This is what I found:

Here are some shots alongside my M-Audio Keystation:

My Synth Tech looking it over.. And wondering if I had lost my mind for buying a 29 year old keyboard, that failed to keep Sequential in business.

Included is the original Sequential Power Adapter

The Multi-Trak sequencer section

He seems eager to power it up...

29 years ago this was made.. And now, here it is, in my home.. I have yet to plug it in..

It is strange buying an electronic device that is this old. I was a junior in high school when this was made! I mean I have some devices (no synths) that are older than this, but I'm the original owner of them. Now that I think of it, my refrigerator, in my kitchen, is 32 years old. It came with my house when I bought it over 10 years ago. The fridge is a Whirlpool. I guess they don't make them to last like they used to.. Hopefully this synth is somewhat well made too!

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 am

That Sequential sound is hopefully in there somewhere..

As the sun sets, and night approaches, the Multi-Trak lies in utter silence on the synth/dining room table..

The camera reveals all is not what it seems with this 3 decade old synth!
I am a little apprehensive about firing it up for the first time..

The carnage that resulted from extracting it from the shipping box. In the middle of the living room floor of course. It took forever to get all those packing peanuts off the floor and my back hurt afterwards:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:10 am

My Yamaha CS-5 is from 1977..same year i was born. And everything still works perfectly, no scratching on the filter or warbly VCO when I change pitch. It's quite a wonder actually. Even the face paint is immaculate. It's like it came through a time portal hmmm. :?

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:21 am

my SH09 looks like Danny Trejo on a good day. But it's guts are perfect. Sucker never even flinches.
I almost bought a multitrak a couple years back form a guy I bought an amp from. But I was kind of getting more into 'hard analog' at that moment so I passed.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 am

Come on, plug it in!!!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:10 am

SeventhStar wrote:It is strange buying an electronic device that is this old. I was a junior in high school when this was made! I mean I have some devices (no synths) that are older than this, but I'm the original owner of them.
i find this kinda funny, since ive had all kinds of gear older than i am. my main synths, amp, and guitar are all older than me. i remember seeing the 87 birthday listed on my esq1 a couple months ago and thinkin 'what a kid!'
Now that I think of it, my refrigerator, in my kitchen, is 32 years old. It came with my house when I bought it over 10 years ago. The fridge is a Whirlpool. I guess they don't make them to last like they used to.. Hopefully this synth is somewhat well made too!
one time i moved into a house with a refrigerator not quite two years old
i saw the mfg date sticker as i was cleaning it out because i had to clean a lot of food out of the refrigerator, a lot of food that, according to the expiration dates, was quite a bit older than the refrigerator

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:03 am

IIRC that is the same synth chip as the Doepfer Dark Energy.
6 voices of that has to be fun!

SeventhStar

Post by SeventhStar » Sat May 03, 2014 8:41 am

I fired the Multi-Trak up on Tuesday. I've tested everything out on it except for the cassette interface. Everything else appears to be in working order!

I played with the sequencer and made a loop using all six voices. I did the Assault on Precinct 13 theme. Bass on voice 1, strings on 2 and 3, swelling strings on 4 and 5, and drums on 6. Very cool! 8-) Much cooler than any of the provided default sequences. I just wish there were more voices. Like eight.. The Split-Eight has them, but it is only bi-timbral, with no sequencer.

The bass on this thing can get fat, even with one voice! All six voices, in unison, on bass, can really vibrate the walls if you turn the volume up. I think all six voices on bass, in the mix with the strings and drums, would be too overpowering. I was surprised how good only a single voice sounds on bass, as each voice only has one VCO.

I took the Heavy Bass preset, and modified it, to make it sound more like the Moog Source I heard, from an Assauit cover I like on Youtube.

This is really like a time portal synth. I am amazed how it generally looks as if I just went into a music store this past Monday, bought a new synth, and brought it home. The push buttons are actually white on this unit. A lot of Multi-Trak and Six-Traks, that I see on the Internet, have heavily yellowed buttons. The keys are all white too, which I can't say about my M-Audio. The Keystation is only 5 or 6 years old and its keys have already yellowed.. This thing is 29 years old and the keys are snow white.

The keyboard action is better than I was expecting. A few clicking sounds from some of the keys, that I don't get on the M-Audio, but generally much better than I was expecting it to be. The Arturia Microbrute keyboard is one of the worst I have ever played on. Pre-school, Toys-R-Us, kiddie c**p keys on that one.

When I get time I'll make a recording of my Assault theme and upload it to Sound Cloud.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat May 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Awesome :) Can't wait to hear your demo!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

SeventhStar

Post by SeventhStar » Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 am

Anyone happen to know how to verify the OS Firmware version on a Multi-Trak? It is probably done by pressing and holding the Program/Record button, then pressing one of the parameter matrix buttons..

I can't seem to find how to do it in the PDF manuals, or from searching on the net. It might be the same button combo sequence as a Six-Trak, whatever that may be..

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 am

Man I miss my six trak