The Moog Modular was not an April's fool joke

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: The Moog Modular was not an April's fool joke

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:02 am

Well s**t, didn't see that one coming :shock:

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 am

Sir Ruff wrote: But honestly, who cares? It's just another a*s-backwards move from Moog--maintaining a "legacy" by making products for exactly 5 people in the world, using a rock dinosaur (who's been irrelevant for 35+ years, and who's sole contribution to electronic music is bringing cliched synth solos to a rock format) as their spokesperson :roll:

God forbid they highlighted people who actually used Moog modulars to, you know, actually break down musical barriers?
+1
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:16 am

The fact that it doesn't appear on their Products drop down menu says a lot. Undoubtedly a plaything for the rich.
You can't synthesize love

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:53 am

Somehow I think this would've been cooler without the Emerson connection...

Get's me thinking though, perhaps a Model 10 for us common folk? :)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:39 pm

Sounds or it didn't happen

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:56 pm

Brilliant. Instead of releasing some eurorack modules or a semi-modular or something useful to 99.99 % of the population they've released some product that no one will ever be able to buy.

Why do people even care. You'll never use one and it will only get in the hands of the most 'popular' (and thus rich and boring) artists. The thing sounds like it will cost more the a jupiter 8!

P.S. This is coming from someone who does actually buy DSI, Pittsburgh etc.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:04 pm

I don't see the point of a "model 10" for common people either really. There are already plenty of modular systems to pick and choose from, and they're all cheaper than something from Moog would ever be. The Model 10 pictured above is also so limited it's almost no point buying one.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 pm

The price will include Keith coming to your house once a week to do your laundry and cut the grass.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:43 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Rezisehtnys wrote:Ok, no more excuses on not making a new polyphonic synth...
I'm pretty sure this IS their excuse for not making a poly. But honestly, who cares? It's just another a*s-backwards move from Moog--maintaining a "legacy" by making products for exactly 5 people in the world, using a rock dinosaur (who's been irrelevant for 35+ years, and who's sole contribution to electronic music is bringing cliched synth solos to a rock format) as their spokesperson :roll:

God forbid they highlighted people who actually used Moog modulars to, you know, actually break down musical barriers?
*slow clap*
yep tired of companies, esp guitar companies reissuing god awful road worn 'signature' series guitars for the 50 aging investment banker fan with no kids and a room full of reissues. even when they did the mick jones reissue les paul, they did the wrong f**k mick jones...

sure keith emerson 'brought the moog to the world' but he also pidgeon-holed the f**k out of it at the same time....

EDIT: also its hardly 'modular' if you have to buy the whole f**k thing? ima just sit here and wait for them to reissue the micromoog....

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:05 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The price will include Keith coming to your house once a week to do your laundry and cut the grass.
Oh no, elderly people shouldn´t be doing hard work anymore.
Hybrid88 wrote:Somehow I think this would've been cooler without the Emerson connection... [...]
It makes the impression of brown-nosing desperately for attention.

Wendy Carlos´ Moog IIIc would have been a bit more interesting to clone -- especially since the music created with it was a lot more interesting.

I for one would love to see a Chris Franke Moog clone... 13 960 sequencers, plus interfaces, controllers etc., for starters.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:53 am

madmarkmagee wrote:Brilliant. Instead of releasing some eurorack modules or a semi-modular or something useful to 99.99 % of the population they've released some product that no one will ever be able to buy.

Why do people even care. You'll never use one and it will only get in the hands of the most 'popular' (and thus rich and boring) artists. The thing sounds like it will cost more the a jupiter 8!

P.S. This is coming from someone who does actually buy DSI, Pittsburgh etc.
My thoughts exactly.
I am a total Moog Worshipper and this just pisses me off.
Okay maybe they are too cool to make modules for someone elses format. I get that they kind of invented modular. So make bloody moog modular cabinets and bloody modules for individual sale.
For a lot of us the incredily cool thing about modular (and 500 series as well) is that you can start small and put together a monster rig with tiny bites on your pocket book. $100 here, $200 there etc.
This will obviously only be affordable to a few professional studios and musicians , some dot commers and trust fundies. The rest of us that are truly enthusiastic about modular and synths will just have to buy lotto tickets.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Sensory

Post by Sensory » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:33 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Somehow I think this would've been cooler without the Emerson connection...

Get's me thinking though, perhaps a Model 10 for us common folk? :)

Totally possible. I don't think Moog would invest 3 years in r&d only to limit the modules to a small scale production.
The flagship model can create buzz for a future release of a smaller system or systems. This would be a prudent decision for Moog as the modular market is quickly becoming the highest-grossing in sales for analogue.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
I for one would love to see a Chris Franke Moog clone... 13 960 sequencers, plus interfaces, controllers etc., for starters.

Stephen
Stephen - our friend Phil tells me that Chris Franke "GAVE" that modular to Hans Zimmer.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:40 am

c-level wrote: yep tired of companies, esp guitar companies reissuing god awful road worn 'signature' series guitars for the 50 aging investment banker fan with no kids and a room full of reissues. even when they did the mick jones reissue les paul, they did the wrong f**k mick jones....
I've got Mick Jones' Synclavier VP/K keyboard (but not the rest of the system, just the VP/K) sitting in my synthroom.

I'll let you figure out which Mick Jones it belonged to...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 am

seriously, if there is a possibility of individual moog modules in the future then my plan for starting a for reals modular just changed. Or will they be dicks and just sell 'systems''?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave