Synths that didn't impress you

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Synths that didn't impress you

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Well I've played a lot of synths and let me just say they all have their own specific weaknesses, but I can only think of one that really underwhelmed me and that was the moog voyager.

I can't really say it's a bad synth, but for what it should be, for what it costs, for what it's based on, for all the hype... it is really nothing special. :|

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 08, 2014 2:25 pm

The thing about the Voyager is that for the cost, you really might as well just scrape together another thousand bucks and get the real deal...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:40 pm

^ Which as it turns out is exactly what I did, can't say I've regretted that one bit :)

Hallu

Post by Hallu » Thu May 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Almost every analog synth, to be honest. And the ones that impressed me still didn't leave me impressed enough to want one. A slightly more organic saw versus a wavetable synth's billion plus extra features is hard to pass up for me.

I pushed the idea for the boomstar 700 and they actually made it, and I am excited for it so much ... basically the only analog synth I am blown away by. The other being Buchla, but thats more of a mad scientist tool, and I'm building old 200 series modules but it'll take years before I'm done with it, probably.

Hallu

Post by Hallu » Thu May 08, 2014 9:44 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Damn, I'm going to have to have another go on the 700s, seems I'm in the minority. I must be missing something if people are describing it like "weird little ball", I love weird little balls, errrr.
The Korg 700s is a player's synth for sure. Its not about modulation, the tone of it is truly special but it IS limited. How it sounds is in a league of its own though, up there with CS-80, MiniMoog and the like. A nonlinear diode array 12db LPF/6db HPF that sounds like 70s after school specials. Everything from the oscillator (square core VCO, the saw is stacked pulses) to the envelopes are unique - flawed, simplistic, but unique. You will not find another envelope that pops and sings like that one.

If you want a fancier sounding 700, SE is making a BoomStar with a 700 filter. It loses the oscillator sound, has a cleaner VCA, and doesn't capture any of the vintage mojo (and if there is a synth that has a ghost in the machine, it is the MiniKORG) ... but the Boomie sounds amazing in its own right, has more modulation than most synths excluding modular, and truly sounds "new". Very few synths have a tone that sounds new, just a different copy of an old one

The 700/770 korgs are the only analog synth I like, I tend to get excited ...

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 pm

In relation to the OP, Korg Micro Preset. Just awful....

dr.blitzen
Band: dr.blitzen

Post by dr.blitzen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Roland MC 303 Groovebox. Midi implimentation was just plain weird and once you'd written your tune there was nowhere to save it to once the memory got filled up. Good drums though.

Roland TB 3 - was thinking of getting this then discovered it had no tune dial?? WTF - what happens if I wanna jam along to something not quite in tune like a record??

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:57 pm

The Volcas

What made the Monotrons and monotribe so great is lost on the Volcas.
Adding all those function + _ Key parameters expanded the abilities of the boxes a bit. But they are just not as intuitive to use at all. The monotrons and monotribe are easy, straightforward and intuitive.
The Volcas are kind of a PITA and to be honest you don't really get a lot more ability in terms of sounds with all the multi-key press foolishness.
The worst part is that while they do have ability to save 8 patterns, there is no way to chain these into anything like an A part/B part /chorus.
These would have been tons more fun, and far better as starter gear for kids if they could actually make songs, and not just isolated patterns.

I mean, yeah I'll keep them, but they will get dusty.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Jacob Hunt
Gear: An old Polymoog that's on it's way.

Post by Jacob Hunt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 pm

The Moog Source
The sound was just way smoother and cleaner than what I expected, especially compared to the Prodigy's roughness. I also don't quite get along with the touch panel/data wheel. One more thing was that the parameters just didn't seem wide enough.

super_doraemon
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Micromoog, Arp Odyssey, Roland Juno-106, Alpha Juno 1, Microbrute SE(orange), Rhodes Stage 73, Octatrack, Prophet 6
Band: Coral Bones, Pet Library

Post by super_doraemon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Realistic MG-1
Roland MC-505
Korg Triton Extreme
Alesis Micron
Microkorg XL
Yamaha SK-15

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:31 pm

super_doraemon wrote:Realistic MG-1
Roland MC-505
Korg Triton Extreme
Alesis Micron
Microkorg XL
Yamaha SK-15
Whats not to like about the MG1?
Okay the 'polyphony' kinda sucks, but it is one of the brattiest sounding Moogs I own.
It just sounds...fluorescent?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:07 am

calaverasgrande wrote:What made the Monotrons and monotribe so great is lost on the Volcas.
Like what, trying to play actual melodies on a tiny ribbon? At least membrane keys can be played and they have superior sequencers.

They're classic Korgs...impressive for the price if not impressive overall ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:26 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:What made the Monotrons and monotribe so great is lost on the Volcas.
Like what, trying to play actual melodies on a tiny ribbon? At least membrane keys can be played and they have superior sequencers.

They're classic Korgs...impressive for the price if not impressive overall ;)
Like being fun little cheap toys as opposed to kinda fun boxes you poke with one finger while you RTFM.

super_doraemon
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Micromoog, Arp Odyssey, Roland Juno-106, Alpha Juno 1, Microbrute SE(orange), Rhodes Stage 73, Octatrack, Prophet 6
Band: Coral Bones, Pet Library

Post by super_doraemon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:24 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
super_doraemon wrote:Realistic MG-1
Roland MC-505
Korg Triton Extreme
Alesis Micron
Microkorg XL
Yamaha SK-15
Whats not to like about the MG1?
Okay the 'polyphony' kinda sucks, but it is one of the brattiest sounding Moogs I own.
It just sounds...fluorescent?

I don't really like the tone and it never seemed 'up front' enough to me. The build quality had a lot to be desired. It also lacks pitch and mod wheels (but that's kinda minor). The MG-1s are amazing for the price, though.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:54 pm

The Korg M1 never impressed me from the get-go. But when the SY77 came along, I was blown away (and have never looked back).