Synths that didn't impress you

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chipaudette

Re: Synths that didn't impress you

Post by chipaudette » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote: Korg Polysix was also a bit of a let-down.
Stephen
I was a little let down by the Polysix at first, too. But it turned out to be a pretty good platform for modifications!

http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03 ... -demo.html

Chip

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Ninja: cool sounds with your M1R ! Image
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Push-Pull wrote:Ninja: cool sounds with your M1R ! Image
Thanks! :)
vinyl_junkie wrote:Very nice, I got that pad sound from the third example sampled in my Blofeld as a OSC :-D

The last track is great, I can hear the M1 doing the melodic bit but what are the other parts from? It's very reminiscent to ealy FSOL and the kind of stuff played on Sasha's & Digweed's Northern Exposure Vol1 mix CD
Wow, that's quite a compliment! Cascade is a masterpiece imo, especially the version on NE 1.

Now as to the rest of what's going on in that clip, I think there's some 727, clips from earth final conflict, a sample of birds from my back yard, and then all of the harmonic and melodic stuff: the lead, a background pad, and the bubbles are all M1. I was experimenting with layering, so some of those sounds are like 4 or 5 layers: a dry layer, a layer of reverb from the radias, and 2 or three effects either from the radias or a Yamaha sdx50D. It's one piece of a much larger work that's basically a sequence of smaller pieces, not unlike something like a dj mix. I think it's from spring 2011.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:04 am

ninja6485 wrote:
HUBA wrote:
Pro5 wrote:The 'deal' with the D-50 is that it's a very warm, thick sounding digital synth
Do you have a D50 card on your V-synth, or have you tried one before? If so, would you describe it with the same words, or is it worth having an original D50 for that? I have a V-synth and would like to try a D50, but would prefer to avoid another keyboard in my room.
I would say you're in the perfect position to try the D50 card.
Yeah will do. Probably. Still would like to know if I'll miss much of the D-50 character. The VC cart isn't free, the original hardware version is somewhat low priced, and the thing making me hesitate getting the original over the card is the space it takes, something I could maybe manage to live with if it turns out that I really like it..

So would it be a mistake ruling out the original D-50 if I find that I'm not thrilled by the VC card? You know old D/A converters etc.. Pro5 described the D-50 as very warm and thick sounding, and it made me think of the DX7 vs FM8. Though I must admit that I have limited experience with it myself, I haven't heard anything from FM8 that sounds warm and thick, yet I've heard such things from the DX7 many times. Maybe there's a similar difference between VC1 and D-50..? Surely many here have heard both.

I love the thick sounds I can get with my Virus, and I'm interested in any flavour of gear where this ability is noticable. Would prefer a small card over a huge keyboard, but not if I'd be missing out on the warm and thick.

Sorry for the off topic. Well, as I said, FM8 didn't impress me :)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:11 am

The D-50 is the frozen yogurt to the DX7's orange dreamsicle, is how I'd sum it up.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 am

The VC1 sounds spot on exactly like an original D50.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Roland JX-8P: Maybe I was just prejudiced about its looks, it looks like a wannabe DX7 despite being analog. If you're going analog, you better have knobs, damnit!

Any synth made by Kawai: I really tried to like them, but...meh.

Akai AX-60 and AX-80: Also tried to like them, but they were trying REAL hard to be something they weren't.

Oberheim OB-12: Not what they used to be.

Korg King Korg: Laaaaaame.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:52 pm

elsongs wrote:Roland JX-8P: Maybe I was just prejudiced about its looks, it looks like a wannabe DX7 despite being analog. If you're going analog, you better have knobs, damnit!
Funny you should say that. When my Juno 60 was stolen (I got it back) back in 1987, I got a JX-8P with PG-800 for a decent price. It sounded thin in comparison.
GC

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:02 pm

gcoudert wrote:
elsongs wrote:Roland JX-8P: Maybe I was just prejudiced about its looks, it looks like a wannabe DX7 despite being analog. If you're going analog, you better have knobs, damnit!
Funny you should say that. When my Juno 60 was stolen (I got it back) back in 1987, I got a JX-8P with PG-800 for a decent price. It sounded thin in comparison.
As long as we are baggin on Roland I'd also mention the JX3p.
Several underground darkwave/noise acts that I've played on the bill with did very well with these. However I have never been happy with how they sound. I suppose some of that is how it sounds in a mix vs how it sounds on its own.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 pm

I keep wanting to like the pro 1, but each time I try one, I'm never blown away by it. Feels cheaper and more plasticy than I immagined.(maybe SSS can will win me over at some point with on eof his ;) ) That, and the little phatty just aren't impressive to me. I was more impressed with the sub phatty, probably due to a better UI. Seen several XoX boxes, but I've never walked away thinking "that sounds exactly like my 303!" And finally, I have yet to be wowed by an electron box. They sound a bit bland, but they're so damn expensive, and again I don't jive with the UI. It feels small and congested to me. I would love to try an octotrack for an extended period of time, but again too expensive to go out on a limb for when so many other devices offer great sampling capabilities for so much cheaper.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:19 pm

pflosi wrote:The VC1 sounds spot on exactly like an original D50.
Thank you pflosi! :)

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:50 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote: Korg Polysix was also a bit of a let-down.
Stephen
Agreed. It was one of those synths I'd been trying to get my hands on forever, but once I finally had it, I have to say I was pretty disappointed. It is quite capable and I was able to make some nice sounds on it, but to my ears, the sweet spot was pretty small, and it really needed external effects to shine; the raw tone didn't appeal to me much and the internal effects were a bit too subtle and didn't offer much in way of parameter control on them.

Oh well, sold it on this weekend for a tidy profit.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:21 am

HUBA wrote:
Pro5 wrote:The 'deal' with the D-50 is that it's a very warm, thick sounding digital synth
Do you have a D50 card on your V-synth, or have you tried one before? If so, would you describe it with the same words, or is it worth having an original D50 for that? I have a V-synth and would like to try a D50, but would prefer to avoid another keyboard in my room.
Although pflosi already gave you his opinion, and there's a few around here (inc myself for a while) who felt it was an exact emulation (using the D-50 output mode), I have to say for me, no. It did not feel the same as D-50. Whether that came down to even MORE noise on a real D-50 (as earlier ones had more noise than later ones, so which did Roland Model for the card? :mrgreen: ) and maybe because the keybed of the D-50 is so nice (softer than the V-synth's which in my testing has been known to bias opinion towards/against a synth's sound, based on feel of the keys)...

but well, I say yes you can get every sound the D-50 does, easily - and it's a joy to program it from the V-Synth (esp the keyboard) as all the multitude of knobs and touchscreen are all laid out for live edits (even the filter updates in realtime without needing a key press retrigger to hear your new setting; on a real D-50 it doesn't).

But I have to say imo the VC-1 card sounded quite a bit 'flatter' and less dimensional. In a mix it probably wouldn't matter one bit and it'll give you the D-50 sounds you need, but I didn't connect with emotionally like I always have with the real D-50 keyboards (I now have two here btw - I sold my VC card after 2 months or so as I just preferred to use the V-synth as a V-Synth anyway, cos it's such an amazing machine - my favourite synth!) - also I had samples in my V from my D-50 that I had previously made and many of these sounded more epic/warm than the VC-1 card - again to my ears, and I can only speak for my ears :)

You can get them both together and A/B them, maybe even try a null test :lol: but my gut feeling is I was drawn to play the D-50 and react to it's 'alive' sound as I play, often losing myself for ten minutes just noodling, I never got that with the VC-1 card at all. In fact I had MORE of that from FM8 vsti which I programmed to emulate some of my 'warm' custom D-50 patches (when I sold my 2nd D-50 and didn't have a V-synth to get the card for). I don't know... while the D-50 is indeed just software through some old op-amps, the card is software emulating those quirks and faults and I didn't feel it at all.

sorry for the essay and I will prob be in the minority so try it for yourself, but my advice is if you don't 'feel' the VC-1 card then don't write off a real D-50 as it's a different experience, not just because imo the sound is a bit thicker and more alive, but the fact the keybed is nice, the design is beautiful, it feels like the classic it is.

I also had the VC-2 card that many rave about, maybe was overkill for my needs (as I rarely use vocoders etc) and I again felt the V-synths best function was as a pure V-synth, because when you dig into a V you really find gold. It has kick started so many new songs for me now, from completely unheard of textures and tricks with it's spacey sounding overtones combined with it's tempo synced LFOs....... sorry, I should save that for the V-Synth thread. :)

And sorry for muddying the waters re D-50 v VC-1, can only say what I felt as a big D-50 fan and owner of multiple units of varying ages of them, 6 and counting... I wasn't fully convinced by the VC-1 card (in either output mode).

Having said that if I found another card cheap and didn't have a real one around I'd certainly snap it up again for another try... (did that with the AN1x, sold my first as was 'unconvinced', rebought one and it's now my 2nd fave synth - love it) D-50 would probably be my 3rd favourite (after V-synth and AN1x) but the need for a D-50 is more specific than with a V or AN1x which are universes to explore, amazing workhorse tools while D-50 etc are for the character.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Wow, great answer! :hi: Thanks a bunch! I totally see what you're saying. Found a thread on gearslutz where this was discussed. The general opinion seemed to be that they were not identical sounding.

I'll keep your advise in mind if I somehow don't "feel it" with the VC1. At least I'll get an impression of what the D-50 is about. I guess it's like a good software emulation, like the OP-X, only maybe closer to the original.

Not being able to tweak the filter cutoff in realtime with the original D-50 seems like a huge bummer..

Yeah the V-synth is something else. :thumbright:

Thanks again!