Synths that didn't impress you

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Synths that didn't impress you

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 am

You know, you can use an M1 like a D50. It has partials, and in its multitimbral mode you can stack 8 sets of 2 on top of each other. And you can control all of the waveforms with the m1's filer, unlike the D50. Not to knock the D of course, I love them both for different reasons, and plan to hold on to them for a while!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:37 am

princefan3 wrote:Ha Ha Pro 5.....that was a bloody steal....£ 60 squid and cards plus...the last owner couldnt have liked it either.

Nice trade in deal also.

I got a card with mine with another 100 sounds on it...some nice obx and a nice pro 5 string on it as well as a depeche mode ahh....yes it is limited.....but you cant beat the house piano sound can you....ride on time black box... or the organ2 preset.... total nightclubers track sound...general strings...velocity and aftertouch to boot.

also guess depends what your into...it seems some like creating bleeps....and some like melodies.

whats the big deal with the D50 then (a lot of likes)...sounds like the res filter thats all..?

just because I don't like the m1 doesn't mean i'm not 'into melodies'. :o

I'm a traditional player (play guitar bass keyboards and also sing) and I'm very melody based, I don't do electronic music as such.... more rock with synths.

Those famous presets you speak of, sadly are extremely dated. I had the M1 piano in an old track I started (simply because it was to hand at the time of writing) and it is the one sound I can't wait to remove and replace with a modern sample library for the final version

The 'deal' with the D-50 is that it's a very warm, thick sounding digital synth that also has the ability to create live waveforms (rather than static samples) to be used as oscillators. It has 6 LFOs, PWM and you can bypass PCM completely (which I typically do - but even if you blend them in it's far more interesting than what the M1 does with it's, higher quality, samples). It's basically how good it sounds, very unique sounding synth, while the M1 defines the word 'homogeneous' and is stuck firmly in it's era of release as far as new sound making ability goes.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 am

ninja6485 wrote:You know, you can use an M1 like a D50. It has partials, and in its multitimbral mode you can stack 8 sets of 2 on top of each other. And you can control all of the waveforms with the m1's filer, unlike the D50. Not to knock the D of course, I love them both for different reasons, and plan to hold on to them for a while!
But it sounds c**p!

There is more to the D-50 than it's amount of partials. The M1 obviously has 'more power' from a numbers perspective (and higher quality samples) but it's pure static dated nonsense. It's filter is akin to a cat breathing into a plastic bag for what use it is. ugh.

And most people who love the D-50 don't even USE PCM, they stick to struct modes 1/2 these days which means 4 oscs WITH filters. Even without filters the basic sound quality of the live saw/square waves in the D-50 sound beautiful next to those pre-canned 'perfect for 88' samples in the M1.

Absolutely no contest in 2014 for which is the real/better SYNTHESIZER. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pro5 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tdack
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW-MKII and anything analog or modular.
Band: drOHM. T.Dack.

Post by tdack » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Korg Poly800. I laugh so hard thinking about it.

My friend brought it over and he had bought it used for 40 bucks and was so excited.

We flipped the power on, fine, then we hit some keys... dead notes. We clean it and they were fine.

We flipped through presets, cheesy fm sounds, not so bad, but neither of us were expecting what we heard and it wasn't what we were looking for.

Half the functions didn't work. Sequencer...a bust. DCO/VCF, broken... we tried to assign values to the stick but couldn't pull anything up.

The keyboard was so out of tune and awful......

We recorded a couple tracks with it for fun and never looked back. It's sitting against a wall and has been for years.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:14 pm

agreed on the M1. I actually have much the same opinion of the D 50 but for what you guys say about its synthesis potential I may pick one up. (after I fill out my Eurorack).
Korg poly 800 has no fm. It's an unusual additive osc where you select various footages, organ style (I think it's an accumulator?) and an analog filter.
The 800 can do a nice gauzy pad and some bleep bloop sounds. everything else sounds like a soundtrack to a low budget slasher flick.
I owned 2, did every mod on them and sold them. they just have no a*s!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Pro5 wrote:The 'deal' with the D-50 is that it's a very warm, thick sounding digital synth
Do you have a D50 card on your V-synth, or have you tried one before? If so, would you describe it with the same words, or is it worth having an original D50 for that? I have a V-synth and would like to try a D50, but would prefer to avoid another keyboard in my room.

tdack
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW-MKII and anything analog or modular.
Band: drOHM. T.Dack.

Post by tdack » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:47 am

calaverasgrande wrote:they just have no a*s!
That's great! I agree. I should turn it on some time again and try and write some pads.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 am

AH...But hows about an M1 playing the newly aquired Blofeld together...quite a combo and the blofeld
sits exactly on the right hand side of the synth panel as if made for each other...and still have the velocity and aftertouch to use through the blofeld to enjoy...

anyway who has the most famous amount of sounds out of a M1 and D50 faceoff...ha ha

the organ2 is still very prominent in todays dance music. when im down my gym anyway.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah this M1 synth...so yesteryear....just seen synth player for John Newman at Glastonbury tonight play one. :lol:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:44 am

HUBA wrote:
Pro5 wrote:The 'deal' with the D-50 is that it's a very warm, thick sounding digital synth
Do you have a D50 card on your V-synth, or have you tried one before? If so, would you describe it with the same words, or is it worth having an original D50 for that? I have a V-synth and would like to try a D50, but would prefer to avoid another keyboard in my room.
I would say you're in the perfect position to try the D50 card.
Pro5 wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:You know, you can use an M1 like a D50. It has partials, and in its multitimbral mode you can stack 8 sets of 2 on top of each other. And you can control all of the waveforms with the m1's filer, unlike the D50. Not to knock the D of course, I love them both for different reasons, and plan to hold on to them for a while!
But it sounds c**p!

There is more to the D-50 than it's amount of partials. The M1 obviously has 'more power' from a numbers perspective (and higher quality samples) but it's pure static dated nonsense. It's filter is akin to a cat breathing into a plastic bag for what use it is. ugh.

And most people who love the D-50 don't even USE PCM, they stick to struct modes 1/2 these days which means 4 oscs WITH filters. Even without filters the basic sound quality of the live saw/square waves in the D-50 sound beautiful next to those pre-canned 'perfect for 88' samples in the M1.

Absolutely no contest in 2014 for which is the real/better SYNTHESIZER. :mrgreen:
I don't agree at all, I think the M1 sounds great. Unless you're in a Black Metal band, I can see why it might not be the tits for a rock outfit, but it excels in an ambient house project. Of course I certainly couldn't agree that the D50 is better overall, or that the M1 isn't a real synth or anything like that. The thing with synths is that so much of their sound comes from the programmer. It doesn't have to sound dated, but the way it can sound dated is actually a positive thing, at least for me. I'm always impressed by what I can coax out of it, and how well the parts work in my mixes. Plus you can actually use it's reverb in the mix, unlike the D :D. Do most people really stick to struct modes 1& 2 these days? Seems unlikely, and a waste of a huge chunk of the D50's capabilities.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:31 am

I wish i had got hold of an M1 years ago..I think it would have been the best starter synth for me.

Perhaps i will try the D50 one day and see how it matches up.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:01 am

Ninja, care to post some examples? And when you say you can still coax so much out of it, is that with the standard ROM i.e. no ROM expansion cards?
I have heard the M1 do some nice sounds but I think the guy had the Valhalla card fitted, which I class as cheating lol

I mean from memory most of the standard waves sounded like GM and you couldn't do a lot with them.. Then that terrible filter.

I have nothing against the M1's sound though, I thought it actually sounded very good and I still prefer it to the Triton but the ROM, filter and everything else was a huge disappointment for me and at the time I couldn't get anything remotely interesting out of it.

Saying that I loved it as a controller keyboard, you can put desktop synths on it too and it looks so nice

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:32 am

Sure, here are a few patches that I have on the m1 now that I seem to return to, other than when I'm looking for the more traditional organ/ dodgy piano /elongated string piece, etc. Mostly ethereal notes, chords, plucky things and the like. I also have selections from jams and demos, which may have some overlap. It's hard to tell what is the m1 since I use a lot of effects and layering, and some of these tracks are a few years old, but I managed to find clips that I remember using the m1 on, and at least liking its contribution!

You can clearly see the type of sounds I gravitate towards on the m1 when it's the featured synth! :D This is by no means a comprehensive collection of great sounds the m1 can do, but rather sounds that I've used and that I like using the m1 for, that happen to have stuck around in its memory bank! I do not have any expansion cards for it sadly. Just a standard M1R I bought from a active member here on VSE :).

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 am

Very nice, I got that pad sound from the third example sampled in my Blofeld as a OSC :-D

The last track is great, I can hear the M1 doing the melodic bit but what are the other parts from? It's very reminiscent to ealy FSOL and the kind of stuff played on Sasha's & Digweed's Northern Exposure Vol1 mix CD

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:51 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Very nice, I got that pad sound from the third example sampled in my Blofeld as a OSC :-D

The last track is great, I can hear the M1 doing the melodic bit but what are the other parts from? It's very reminiscent to ealy FSOL and the kind of stuff played on Sasha's & Digweed's Northern Exposure Vol1 mix CD
+1 that was great :)