Synths that didn't impress you

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Re: Synths that didn't impress you

Post by Kenneth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Solderman wrote:Most ROMplers(kinda liked the Roland JV/XP expansions though)
MicroKorg
Waldorf Q
Ion, Micron/MiniAk
AN1X
ElectroComp EML-101
SH-7, MKS-80
Evolver, Prophet 8 & 12
SCI Six-Trak
Future Retro XS
Oberheim OB-Mx
Jesus, really? What don't you like about the DSI stuff? Specifically the P12. I spent about an hour with one and loved it.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Kenneth wrote:
Solderman wrote:Most ROMplers(kinda liked the Roland JV/XP expansions though)
MicroKorg
Waldorf Q
Ion, Micron/MiniAk
AN1X
ElectroComp EML-101
SH-7, MKS-80
Evolver, Prophet 8 & 12
SCI Six-Trak
Future Retro XS
Oberheim OB-Mx
Jesus, really? What don't you like about the DSI stuff? Specifically the P12. I spent about an hour with one and loved it.
Having owned (and adored) the Q, Ion, EML-101, Evolver, XS, OB-Mx, I couldn't agree less. :D Certainly no offence. I found that the amount of depth in the OB-Mx and it's sound was so vastly different from anything else that it was immediately golden.

But... Hmm. I'd have to say that the only synths I've owned that I wasn't impressed with were in small numbers.

Quasimidi Sirius & Polymorph -- it was quite the fun machine, but in using it I always felt predisposed to make a certain kind of music that wasn't to my liking.

Moog Opus-3 -- This one is likely all my fault for placing higher regard for a stringer of any type (it's not the stringer, it's certainly me) and when playing one, I was completely underwhelmed in 3,2,1...

Nord Wave -- No thanks, I have kontakt, I'm good. A really expensive sample machine that didn't seem to have much else going on beyond the idea that it was hardware. Not particularly good sounding (my opinion only).

Oberheim OB-8 -- A large wave of blah came over me when playing it. The interface was great, the core sound of the machine wasn't to my liking.

Radikal Spectralis -- This thing oozes lovely sound. Having an interface that immediately made me prefer a roundhouse kick to the face, we soon parted ways... And this machine too, likely a personality fault of my own and less about the machine. I was wanting relatively instant gratification, and it wanted lots of foreplay.

Moog Minimoog D -- just kidding. I f**k love this machine. I died a little when I had to sell it. It and my Voyager were the best of buddies, and we'd spend nights and weekends together; hours and hours and...
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Let's see.....

DSI Prophet '08
DSI Mopho

I mean, at first glance they were impressive, but really only in the features department. Couldn't warm up to them soundwise. And that's even trying the Prophet '08 THREE times. I did however, enjoy the sound of the Poly Evolver.

Roland D50
Yamaha DX7

Yeah. This era of digital stuff I just don't get.

SCI Pro One
SCI Sixtrak

I loved my Prophet 5 and Prophet 600, but these two....meh. The Pro One felt like it was going to fall apart under my paws, and the Sixtrak had the most ridiculous programming interface.

Nord Lead 2x
BOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Kenneth wrote:Jesus, really? What don't you like about the DSI stuff? Specifically the P12. I spent about an hour with one and loved it.
Dunno. Just wasn't impressed. I have no reasoning other than being one man's opinion in a boneyard of useless subjectivity. :dontknow:
silikon wrote:Having owned (and adored) the Q, Ion, EML-101, Evolver, XS, OB-Mx, I couldn't agree less.
Ok. Great. I saw alot of dissing of the ESQ-1 and TB303 and I like those, myself. No biggie.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Also, there wasn't really such a thing as a "pad" until the M1.
captain picard would disagree

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:34 am

JX3p. A few bands I like get pretty good sound out of theirs, but for me it was just thin, wheezy and buzzy.
Nord anything is pretty underwhelming to me, but I get why touring acts rely on these synths. They may not work for me soundwise, but they get 90% there I guess.
X0Xbox-about the most limited, dated and cliched sounding synth out there.
The only thing good about it is that I can sync my Din sync gear to midi and it has cv gate so I can sequence my Dark Energies with it. But god that 'acid' sound is such a hackneyed overdone thing. Probably how we will feel about dubstep in ...a week.
Radias-I know some folks think it is the best thing since the JD800, but I for one could never get it to do anything that sounded remotely good. I like how they look though.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:58 am

calaverasgrande wrote:But god that 'acid' sound is such a hackneyed overdone thing. Probably how we will feel about dubstep in ...a week.
Try "right now."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote: I remember my first experience with the M1... it was the point at which synthesizers really started to have sounds that (to our ears) sounded real. None of us could get over the sax sound on the M1... I actually remember a group of friends sitting around it and just playing that sound and marveling at it. Also, there wasn't really such a thing as a "pad" until the M1. Synth chords, even with evolving filtering, just sounded kind of meh. The M1 created pads that changed over time in really cool ways.

My wish is that people could experience a 303 or 808 right now, somehow without any knowledge of their past or the music they've been used in.
The D50 and a few other 'pad worthy' machines also existed back then.

I do agree about the 808, 303, 101 and 909.

I love me some old roland, but the overuse of those boxes in so much theowaway music has really numbed me to liking those particular boxes. A shame, I actually like the 707, 727 and 909. They have their quirks, but I like how those boxes sound and how they work.
Speaking of, always hated the sound of the old HR16b drum machine, but dang if it isnt still the easiest drum machine I have ever used.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 am

Oh yeah, the JX-3P was another. I had the JX-8P at the same time, and it just sounded dry and harsh in comparison. Not necessarily bad, but I don't see why they're more desirable than the 8P.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Considering all the raving over the ESQ-1 I was very underwhelmed, I don't understand why people go nuts over it.
For me it was the whole package and of course I encountered it when it was first released (1986?).

-- Song based sequencer onboard with FSK to sync with a tape recorder (after I played the factory demo song I was sold)

-- Incredible UI for a knobless synth, huge easy to read display

-- A great mix of factory sounds for the time

-- With a cartridge, 120 patches on board was more than anything else at the time, also the carts needed no battery

-- A really thick manual written in English rather than Rolandese...your joy with expectations may be found well. :roll:

-- Fantastic MIDI implementation for the time (still pretty good today).

By the time I had saved my pennies the SQ80 was out which was even better (disk drive, poly AT, more waveforms) and that was my main squeeze for over 15 years.

To modern ears an ESQ-1 is not going to blow you away. Which is why I bought a Motif ES in 2005 and sold my SQ80.
Ah yes, no doubt it was great back then. I first got my hands on one about eight to ten years ago so my opinion was comparing it to what was available then. People still seem to rave about it now though, which is what I don't get.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:49 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Let's see.....
DSI Prophet '08
DSI Mopho

I mean, at first glance they were impressive, but really only in the features department. Couldn't warm up to them soundwise. And that's even trying the Prophet '08 THREE times. I did however, enjoy the sound of the Poly Evolver.
I have to agree. just the raw sound didn't sound right to me. If I can enjoy playing the raw osc and EG for ages without going near the filter or mod then i'm probably going to like the machine. With these I didn't.
Same with the Radias. I loved it when I got deep but it took a while to get there.
mates Korg 700s sounded pretty flat to me.

I haven't bought and sold a great deal to be honest, mainly samplers/drum machines that I have had a hard time with. I have tried stuff in shops though and Nords just didn't seem to have it for me. And dare I say it? the MS20 didn't seem musical to me but I only had a few minutes.
V synth as well. Probably because of the interface, I'm not into touchscreens.

rbmusic
Gear: Virus TI2
Korg MS20 Mini
Roland D50, JP8000 Custom Whiteout
Roland Aira TR08 & TB-3
Moog Sub 37 _(on order)
Warwick Corvette Bass
Band: Russell Bell Music Ltd

Post by rbmusic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:35 pm

i recall many years ago, whilst in my teens, a lot of synths at the time i held in very big regard and when i came to play them i was miffed at how they didnt sound like the LP i was playing at the time lol. Completely side stepping the fact they were all caked in production, reverb, delays, compression etc.
My mentor back then had a Prophet V and an Emulator II+. Now being a kid who was hard to please at the time, the Prophet did nothing for me at all. Now days?? omg id bite my left arm off for a PV i really would. But alas, show me burping sounds on a EII or dogs barking,cars starting, jets flying, oooh that sound in Thriller is on here blah blah, that was me most impressed hahah
Im so glad my musical taste and appreciation of sound has fermented over the years. I cannot get enough of a lot of classic synths now.
Things i found a little over rated?? The Synclavier. Man i felt completely let down by that one, same with the super DX synths like the DX1,5,7 etc. Again, nowdays i really adore those sounds. So odd how we can totally grow into something we previously hated.
The Jupiter 8 was another one. I found the 6 to be a far more rewarding and slightly obnoxious synth in comparison, but the 8 got itself onto MTV, Top of the pops, all the bands had one so.....a lot is down to trends.
I have a D50 still. i cant seem to part with that. Owned a M1 around the time of release for about a month and flipped it.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:35 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Ah yes, no doubt it was great back then. I first got my hands on one about eight to ten years ago so my opinion was comparing it to what was available then. People still seem to rave about it now though, which is what I don't get.
For me, at least, the appeal of the ESQ-1/SQ-80 is that it has an interesting sound - gritty early digital tempered by analog filtering, like all those early samplers, including Ensoniq's own Mirage - but has nice synthesizer features that those generally don't, like sync and ring mod and plenty of modulation options. The on-board eight-track sequencer, while bare-bones, is also wonderfully straightforward and free of extraneous c**p, and it's nice to be able to just sit down at the keyboard and make music, without having to deal with all the potential distractions that a computer offers; when I first got mine, I sat down and just spent a whole afternoon working on a song without so much as getting up until dinnertime. It sounds interesting on its own, can double in certain limited capacities for anything from the Mirage to the D-50 to the DX-7 to the big analog polys, and can serve even better as the center of a MIDI setup with the real deals, accenting their strengths with its own. Great stuff.
zoomtheline wrote:And dare I say it? the MS20 didn't seem musical to me but I only had a few minutes.
The MS-20 you really do have to take a little time to get used to - once you get down into the filters and start cranking up the resonance, it really doesn't sound like more common monosynths. But it's exactly that weirdness that's its biggest strength.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:11 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:And dare I say it? the MS20 didn't seem musical to me but I only had a few minutes.
The MS-20 you really do have to take a little time to get used to - once you get down into the filters and start cranking up the resonance, it really doesn't sound like more common monosynths. But it's exactly that weirdness that's its biggest strength.
Yeah I got that from it. It certainly made me go "wow" with squinted eyes when I cranked it but apart from that neat trick it did nothing special. Like I say though, I had a few minutes and nothing inspiring coming from my fingers at the time so another day it might be slightly different.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Korg 700s sounded pretty flat to me.
Perhaps you are expecting too much? The 700s has one of the most unique, and characterful sounds of any synth I've owned.