Reminder: it is still about the player not the gear ....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mute

Re: Reminder: it is still about the player not the gear ....

Post by mute » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Spacemen 3 and all related things from Peter or Jason since then = gold. Recurring is lost on a deserted island listening for me. Though the video used in the OP as an example probably wasn't the best choice :) ...
Reminder: only one band i've heard can actually make playing only two or three sustained chords throughout an entire song work:
I'd beg to differ.. and I'm sure Stereolab would disagree with you, seeing as most these bands/people reveled in it and are some of the most copied acts in all of rock/electronic/etc.

Jesus and Mary Chain
Velvet Underground
Sonic Youth
Silver Apples
Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized / Spectrum
Mazzy Star
Portishead
Blonde Redhead
Frank Black
Bob Mould
MBV
Seefeel
...and so on.

But hey, this kind of listening just like anything else... isn't for everyone.
Last edited by mute on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 pm

Can you argue against the list of bands he's heard - unless you can be sure he's heard of all those bands?
Yes, it's a silly night on the internets. :shock:

But we should do a challenge.
What can you bring to completion with your most rudimentary piece?

I've observed that western culture seems to obsessed with doing the least with most.
And eastern seems to be doing the most with the least.

We have modulars making bleeps and bloops and somewhere there's a guy playing the Blues on a Kaoss pad.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

mute

Post by mute » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 pm

If he's citing Stereolab theres no doubt he's heard most if not every one of those bands.

I like the idea of a challenge.. and I'd be down for some shoegazey electronic droney lyrical stuff for the next comp if anyone wants to take that on. Been years since I've taken a stab at that.

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:47 am

griffin avid wrote: I've observed that western culture seems to obsessed with doing the least with most.

We have modulars making bleeps and bloops and somewhere there's a guy playing the Blues on a Kaoss pad.
:thumbsup:

gs

Post by gs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 pm

griffin avid wrote:I've observed that western culture seems to obsessed with doing the least with most.
I think it has less to do with the cultures themselves... This is likely because there is simply more $MONEY$ in the West than the East, thus the West can afford to be more wasteful. Of course this is changing with China now becoming a global superpower... but China is also a production nation, while USA is mostly a consumption nation (along with Britain and most of western Europe).
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Currently the worst thread on VSE.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Reminder:
KBD_TRACKER wrote:
griffin avid wrote: I've observed that western culture seems to obsessed with doing the least with most.

:thumbsup:
Your observation sounds exaggerated and dubious. Your example leaves much to be desired. Taking the claim seriously for a moment, one only has to reflect on the highly complex and ritualistic elements of traditional Japanese culture to see that it is quite outstanding. Outstanding claims require outstanding evidence, and with the burden of proof squarely on your shoulders, refuting this requires little more than stating its opposite, or even simply: no.
sequentialsoftshock wrote:This was a dumb thread to read.
Did you try to watch the video that it started from again? My god...
gs wrote:Learning a whole new synth architecture every 6 months just so I can have bragging rights that I own the latest gear... NOT for me.
Griffin has indeed slayed this idea with his excellent clothes analogy, but it is still worthy to note that once you learn how the basic filter controls work, how envelopes behave, and how to navigate around basic modulation sources like LFOs, or an s&h circuit, there's really not a whole lot that goes into becoming familiar with operating a new synth. And what's left is not really an obstacle: it's fun! It's like travailing to a new country. Yes, you can do everything you need to do to survive in the hometown that you know like the back of your hand, but that fact is hardly a reason not to explore new horizons. Many paths lead to the source; and if you're having fun, you're doing something right. When I see people with a whole line up of synths, I don't make up what I think they do with them, and without investigating, assume that that is actually what they do with them, and then judge that this fantasy would probably negatively impact their ability to make music.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

gs

Post by gs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:21 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
gs wrote:Learning a whole new synth architecture every 6 months just so I can have bragging rights that I own the latest gear... NOT for me.
Griffin has indeed slayed this idea with his excellent clothes analogy, but it is still worthy to note that once you learn how the basic filter controls work, how envelopes behave, and how to navigate around basic modulation sources like LFOs, or an s&h circuit, there's really not a whole lot that goes into becoming familiar with operating a new synth.
Perhaps I should have used the phrase "navigation method" instead of the word "architecture"... because once you get beyond a basic 2-osc, filter, LFO, etc. synthesizer... and get into workstation territory... you are indeed in a whole new ballpark with regard to the way you navigate it.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Jaytee wrote:Currently the worst thread on VSE.
thanks for this fine contribution. :facepalm: