VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Re: VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Post by Swayze » Thu May 15, 2014 5:01 am

So is this competition restricted to synthesizers for all parts or can we use other instruments for added flavor?

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 15, 2014 5:05 am

Swayze wrote:So is this competition restricted to synthesizers for all parts or can we use other instruments for added flavor?
Ooh good one! I do have one of those bass geetars.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
Swayze wrote:So is this competition restricted to synthesizers for all parts or can we use other instruments for added flavor?
Ooh good one! I do have one of those bass geetars.
Exactly, so far I've written a bass guitar line and I don't think the funk would fully translate over to keys.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:01 am

Dudes, read the op 8-)
Infinity Curve wrote:No rules really. Make a disco song using whatever you want, however you want.
Bass on! :guitar:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:48 am

How's everyone doing with their entries? I'm usually a fast worker, but a sampler broke early in the month, and now construction is underway on an addition next to my synth room and I'm left with many days with no power/ unworkable noise. Going to be a crunch! Also spending some time doing research beyond the odd disco records I've come across in bargain bins. A lot of variety, and stuff beyond the 70's!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm doing good. Mine is definitely more in the italo disco/synth pop vein(think Koto), but I've got most of the parts done, just need to record and mix. Didn't want to have to scramble at the end and do everything last minute again.

Looking forward to hearing people's entries. I will probably setup the soundcloud account next weekend so hit me up for the log-in info after that.

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 pm

So less than a week to go. Hope everybody is having fun on this and ideally have your tracks ready to go by end of day Sunday.

Soundcloud account is up and ready, so once you have your track ready to go, shoot me a PM and I will give you the login info so you can upload your track.

Excited to hear what everyone has come up with.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Wed May 28, 2014 12:48 am

Man, I really wanted to submit something, but I've had one of the busiest months on record. I've only had a couple days off all month, super exhausted. Oh well, looking forward to hearing what everyone did.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:14 am

Infinity Curve wrote:So less than a week to go. Hope everybody is having fun on this and ideally have your tracks ready to go by end of day Sunday.

Soundcloud account is up and ready, so once you have your track ready to go, shoot me a PM and I will give you the login info so you can upload your track.

Excited to hear what everyone has come up with.
Can you please post a link to the SC page so that everyone can listen to the submissions as they come in? Thanks!

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I would prefer to wait until all of them are up so we have an even playing field for voting once I put up the poll thread, but I'm sure you would be able to find it on soundcloud if you looked.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed May 28, 2014 4:02 pm

I wish I still had my Mirage for this one. Unless I magically find spare time this weekend, this one isn't happening for me.

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I wish I still had my Mirage for this one. Unless I magically find spare time this weekend, this one isn't happening for me.
That sucks. I was looking forward to hearing what you would do on this one.

How is everybody else looking? Already had a couple people PM for the log-in info.

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Wed May 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I wish I still had my Mirage for this one. Unless I magically find spare time this weekend, this one isn't happening for me.

How is everybody else looking? Already had a couple people PM for the log-in info.
56 bars of four-on-the-floor and a bouncy bass is all I've got.

I'm not gonna' make it...

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 28, 2014 8:31 pm

waveform:blue wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:

56 bars of four-on-the-floor and a bouncy bass is all I've got.

I'm not gonna' make it...
Don't be like that. Put it up, it's all in fun. Even if all you have is a bassline and a beat, edit it a bit and put in some variations and call it a day, you still have 4 or 5 days. It can be a 30 second snippet if you want. Doesn't matter.

_dan

Post by _dan » Wed May 28, 2014 11:30 pm

I've only had four "sittings" to put on this one, and I'm not confident in what's materialized so far. Its been a challenge partially due to a few things: disco is new to me, I haven't written anything in a year, general lack of talent... But its been an awesome excuse to get back on. I'm using boogie fever, car wash, and disco inferno as inspiration, I really like the funk/groove that happens there. So far I have a decent drum pallet and a few options for melodies. I'm gonna take another crack at it this Friday and Saturday. The results might not be truly competitive, but I'm happy to play along. Cheers.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================