VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Re: VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu May 29, 2014 8:32 am

waveform:blue and _dan:

I'd say give us what you've got. It'll be fun. I'm not sure how well my contribution will fit, but I submitted. My compositions always have a tendency to stray from what I originally intended. Outside of mainstream disco classics, I'm not too familiar with disco, so my song may have deviated as well. I think the fun thing about this competition is that disco is probably NOT what most of us normally write. Can't wait to see what everyone submits.
You can't synthesize love

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 pm

I think you actually nailed the vintage disco vibe quite well with your track. Mine is definitely more italo disco/HI NRG/borderline synth pop, but again, this was why I made the rules so loose. The whole idea is to have fun and step outside your normal style and see what comes of it. I think for the next comp we should so a #Selfie cover competition, haha.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Fri May 30, 2014 8:38 am

Y'know, it just occurred to me how little thought was put into the current contest. Looks like you just took the last one and added a couple of letters.

DCO ---> DisCO :lol:

Lame, I know. Sorry. :roll: :P
You can't synthesize love

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:40 pm

So how is everybody looking? Only had 4 people ask for the login info so far. If people need another couple days that fine but please post so I know.

I should have mine done by the end of the day, got drunk in a park yesterday instead of finishing it, lol.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:08 pm

If there was another a couple of days I probably can put sth together - unfortunately didn't managed for today, as I got sidetracked into redesigning schematics and PCBs again ;-).
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:39 pm

I can probably get mine together by tomorrow.
I was almost done, but I screwed up the arrangement with a selection error that I didn't catch until I had made a dozen edits.
So now I have to go back to the safety copy and try and fix the part I goofed up.
It would be an easy fix, but the part that I botched was kind of an odd syncopation, so it isn't an obvious 'just move the clip to the downbeat' kind of thing.
Oh yeah, wish I had a Streichfett for this.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Just uploaded my tune. It's something I started last year and never finished because it started sounding like a disco song :lol: . Dusted it off, touched it up and I think it sounds ok. Not exactly synth driven like the other two but I think it has a disco vibe nonetheless. Hope to see some more submissions!

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:04 pm

I could have mine in by Monday night if you guys don't mind waiting that long. I work long days on the weekends and the last thing I wanna do when I get home is record. I was hoping more people would submit songs for this and maybe that extra day or two could make it happen.

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:31 pm

No problem. Take an extra couple days if you need it.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:15 am

We're still finishing up our track too! Coming soon. :)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 am

Mine's done, although I want to give it one more listen before I submit it. Did the whole thing Thursday, Friday and Saturday since there was no construction going on next to the synth room. Went for an italo disco meets silver convention vibe. Also, I played the Djembe on it. Can't wait to hear what people came up with!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 am

Hey Infinity...

I got the password in your PM. However...there was no SC page to use it on. I tried your page; it didn't work. So I sent my sub to the gmail address in the PM with only a minute to spare! Yeah...there wasn't a lot of time to hit the keys this week.

I got it done even though I broke the ring finger on my left hand last Sunday :o Lemmetellya...playing with a splint sucks.

Please let me know if you received the mp3. It's not very good (can't honestly blame the splint for that)...but its all mine :mrgreen:

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Weird that it wouldn't let you login. I got your track and have uploaded it to the soundcloud page. My track will be done this evening, was far too nice out to be inside this weekend.

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Weird that it wouldn't let you login. I got your track and have uploaded it to the soundcloud page. My track will be done this evening, was far too nice out to be inside this weekend.
Ha...I see what happend ! You didn't send me the link to the SC page :o So I instead followed the link to your SC page, and tried the password there :lol:

When I didn't see my entry on your SC just now, I ran a search and found the correct page. My track was there along with all the others 8-) Thanks for uploading it.

Anyhoo...I hope it's "Disco" enough for the contest...

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:29 am

Infinity Curve wrote:No problem. Take an extra couple days if you need it.
Right on, I'm trying to get 'r done tonight, tomorrow afternoon by the very latest. Thanks for the extra time.