VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Re: VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 pm

That's an awesome pic!!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 am

my track is basically a fiasco. I completely wrecked it, twice, trying to mess with the tempo and trying to fix the arrangement. But I have always had a hard time passing up a challenge, and disco is pretty far from my usual melee.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 am

I re-uploaded Dirty Disco. I rushed the original submission and in my haste forgot to edit the guitar solo wankering to taste. I didn't touch anything else, just got some of that pesky guitar out of the way. Hope you all don't mind. I think you'll agree less is more.

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:17 am

Swayze wrote:I re-uploaded Dirty Disco. I rushed the original submission and in my haste forgot to edit the guitar solo wankering to taste. I didn't touch anything else, just got some of that pesky guitar out of the way. Hope you all don't mind. I think you'll agree less is more.
Yeah...I saw that :D

I left mine in it's original sucktitude. It was submitted one minute before midnight on 1 July - the original deadline. I should've brought up the levels a bit in Audacity, yet there were only seconds to spare :o

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am

calaverasgrande wrote:my track is basically a fiasco. I completely wrecked it, twice, trying to mess with the tempo and trying to fix the arrangement. But I have always had a hard time passing up a challenge, and disco is pretty far from my usual melee.
Don't feel bad...I tried to make my lead sound "different". The result was like a bad cup of coffee - thin and weak. I flubbed a couple of parts so badly I couldn't quantize my way out of it.

The final insult...I just found out that I don't have one broken finger, but two.
Last edited by waveform:blue on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:59 am

waveform:blue wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:my track is basically a fiasco. I completely wrecked it, twice, trying to mess with the tempo and trying to fix the arrangement. But I have always had a hard time passing up a challenge, and disco is pretty far from my usual melee.
Don't feel bad...I tried to make the lead sound "different". The result was Luke a bad cup of coffee - thin and weak. I flubbed a couple of parts so badly I couldn't quantize my way out of it.

The final insult...I just found out that I don't have one broken finger, but two.
yeah but broken fingers make you play like you really mean it.
I once broke my thumb on tour as a bassist, made me really focus on the notes I played a lot more!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:37 am

Don't even talk to me about broken fingers bruv

_dan

Post by _dan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:31 am

@swayze
I think both versions were excellent, and that's the type of guitar that happens to be one of my favorite elements of most of the disco I've heard. Is there a name for that style of playing (I know I've heard it in non-disco tracks)? I just started learning guitar in Jan 2013. At some point I'm hoping to be able to use it in my tracks.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:38 am

Infinity Curve wrote:Don't even talk to me about broken fingers bruv

AH! now that's a break... My music teacher in elementary school had a similar break. Her pinky would come up in a sort of point when she was showing us the 'do-re-me-fa-so-la-ti-do' hand signals, and everyone would try to bend their pinky to emulate it! I still think it doesn't look right without that bend when I see it...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:50 am

_dan wrote:@swayze
I think both versions were excellent, and that's the type of guitar that happens to be one of my favorite elements of most of the disco I've heard. Is there a name for that style of playing (I know I've heard it in non-disco tracks)? I just started learning guitar in Jan 2013. At some point I'm hoping to be able to use it in my tracks.
Thanks Dan, that's mighty kind of you. That style of fast strumming and muting is called funk skunk, no joke. Good luck on the guitar! I strongly recommend learning your scales and chord building techniques early on in addition to rhythm techniques. It's really rewarding when you can bust solos out by ear. I need to do the same thing on the keys and learn scales and inversions...but I'm also still learning how to play the bass and treble clefs similtaneously.

HH

Post by HH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:23 pm

hey guys

are the submissions closed? where can one hear them?
ive made something for my mini album, could upload but its not finished ...

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:54 pm

If you can upload something now you can still get in. Once everybody has submitted their entries I will be posting a new thread with a voting poll to decide the winner.

Shoot me a PM if you want to put in your track and I will give you the login for the Soundcloud account
ninja6485 wrote: AH! now that's a break... My music teacher in elementary school had a similar break. Her pinky would come up in a sort of point when she was showing us the 'do-re-me-fa-so-la-ti-do' hand signals, and everyone would try to bend their pinky to emulate it! I still think it doesn't look right without that bend when I see it...
Haha, ya. Did that one like 18 years ago skating. Came off a rail wrong and basically folded my pinky back to the side of my hand sideways...and being the punk rocker I was, I set it myself. :?

Good times :lol:

_dan

Post by _dan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:28 pm

@swayze
funk skunk, ha ha, very cool. To use both clefs I had to go at a snails pace, pretty much repeating quarter or half segments of a bar as if they were the whole song. Once a segment felt natural I'd move on. But until I decided to learn guitar, I hadn't looked at notation for over five years. I'm using the Hal Leonard guitar method books. after I get it on guitar I play it on the piano, hopefully getting a better idea of how the two work together and building up my reading. It feels a little silly as the songs are really simple. Gotta start somewhere though lol
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:56 pm

finally uploaded mine last night, then quickly remastered it when I noticed all the other tunes are 10 times as loud, and the bass guitar on mine was super tiny.

HH

Post by HH » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:12 am

oh well, mines quite too but have no time to remaster (