VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HH

Re: VSE Disco Competition - ends June 1st/14

Post by HH » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 am

oh well, mines quite too but have no time to remaster (

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Well we are up to 13 entries and they are all really solid. It's going to be tough to pick just one.

Any last minute stragglers? PM for login info or post in the thread, otherwise I am going to put the poll thread up sunday evening, unless I get drunk and forget, lol.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Mine is not the loudest either. Hopefully It's well balanced though! It's also not a daw project, It's the stereo outs from my emu e6400ultra! :D. Some of my favorite entries are among the quieter ones actually. The aqua song is something I could listen to regularly, who did that one?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:14 pm

I normally output a track at normal -12dbfs. Then take that mixdown (a BWF usually) and master it in a second step to get it up to a nice average level, and flatten out any EQ humps.
Well I am in the middle of a huge 3 month IT project right now, so I hadn't the extra time to do all that.
So I just put a UAD 1176 on the stereo mixdown and followed it with Logic's standard EQ. Not happy with the result at all. :cry:
It also probably did not help that I mixed down directly to an MP3.
Total mid-city.

I'd love to know what some of the other folks did for mastering or mixdown buss. some of these are pretty good for having a nice high level without sounding crushed and narrow. I am really digging the warm sound on a few of these (are some of yall mixing on a desk?)
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:02 pm

I wanted to make something, but really had no time to do it. Looking forward to next time though.

But I'll still vote. When does the voting begin?
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 am

Poll thread will be up by the end of the weekend

HH

Post by HH » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 am

ninja6485 wrote:Mine is not the loudest either. Hopefully It's well balanced though! It's also not a daw project, It's the stereo outs from my emu e6400ultra! :D. Some of my favorite entries are among the quieter ones actually. The aqua song is something I could listen to regularly, who did that one?
hey ninja, thats me. thank you !
jumped the last in the vse wagon lol

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:49 am

Lots of great tunes to get through. Good work peeps.

_dan

Post by _dan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:54 am

I think my track might be one of the louder ones. I aim at loudness out of convenience (not being able hear a track overtop of roadnoise in the car would be inconvenient). To get my track to a decent level I pay a lot of attention to getting the mix correct during the writing stage. Mixing takes place entirely within whatever device i'm using (currently a motifxf or micron, and some budget nearfield monitors). Once the mix is solid and the track is written I record the entire thing as a stereo pair direct from workstation/synth to mixer to computer soundcard. Noisefloor on the DAW/soundcard is less than -80, audio peak usually comes in at around -12 to -8. If there aren't any obvious transient issues, I'll normalize the audio recording and run it through ozone. In ozone, I try to use as little as possible. My goal is to have the track sound as close to the like raw output of the synth as possible, the only difference being the volume level. :D
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:04 am

_dan wrote:To get my track to a decent level I pay a lot of attention to getting the mix correct during the writing stage
Yea, I feel like you can really only get as lound as the particular mix will allow.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:38 am

I don't know what's harder. Composing a song for the contest or picking a favourite. Everyone did a great job. And this is coming from someone who rarely listens to disco.
You can't synthesize love

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:54 am

Black Tomorrow wrote:I don't know what's harder. Composing a song for the contest or picking a favourite. Everyone did a great job. And this is coming from someone who rarely listens to disco.
If only the impression would be that enthusiastic from 1% of the population... we could set up an account, say, on bandcamp, put the VSE comps there as albums at some fair prices, and maybe even pay a part of VSE hosting bills. :mrgreen:

Would probably need a non-exclusive license from the contributors, but that is solvable.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:29 am

I'd definitely buy a copy. Heck, I'd buy CDs of all the VSE contests if they were available.
You can't synthesize love

spektRe

Post by spektRe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:23 pm

what's the sc link?

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:34 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:I'd love to know what some of the other folks did for mastering or mixdown buss. some of these are pretty good for having a nice high level without sounding crushed and narrow. I am really digging the warm sound on a few of these (are some of yall mixing on a desk?)
I recorded and mixed everything in Pro Tools. Besides the typical panning, eq and compression on various tracks, I used a limiter on the master track. After initially mixing all the levels, my song was at -6dB, the limiter bumped that up to -1dB.

I also mix on a combination of monitors and headphones. Sub bass frequencies that I can't hear on my HS50's suddenly appear on my DT770's, and surprisingly even the new apple earbuds. I put a 5 dB medium cut on the kick at 56 Hz because the Drumtraks is a tubby muthaf#$%er. But I had to hear that on apple earbuds of all places...whatever gets the job done. I usually like to give my music a listen in my living room or the truck but there wasn't enough time to be that thorough.