New to Eurorack, what are 'must haves'

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: New to Eurorack, what are 'must haves'

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Bitexion wrote:I'm kind of hooked on aesthetics, so I prefer to keep my modular single-manufacturer.
now you are just showing off!
That is is AS stuff right? I see you have a gate delay, do you find that useful? It is something that has occurred to me I might pick up. Though I have read elsewhere that there are considerations with AS powering in other manufacturers racks.

c**p, looks like I need to reset my muffwiggler password.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah it is all AS. I like using the gate delay with the sequencer, which is why I put it next to it. I patch it so that I get a delayed gate signal to trigger an envelope, that again modulates vco's or filter according to the sequence. It's pretty cool. Don't know so many uses for it really.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:there are considerations with AS powering in other manufacturers racks.
AS stuff has a different connector, so you'd either have to get a power solution that included both doepfer and AS connections, or get adaptors. I've got tiptop power which supplies both doepfer and AS style connectors.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 08, 2014 7:06 pm

The AS comb filter (bottom right) is also a fabulous noise maker. I'd never imagined it would be so "wild". It is esentially a bucket-brigade delay unit, and when I crank up some resonance it completely mangles the input signal. Goes out of control very quickly :)

Without much resonance it sounds more like a flanger when I modulate the cutoff.

The digital MIDI/CV module is also super useful. It can translate CV's from lots of standards into 1V/Oct, in addition to providing midi in/thru directly.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu May 08, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 pm

silikon wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:there are considerations with AS powering in other manufacturers racks.
AS stuff has a different connector, so you'd either have to get a power solution that included both doepfer and AS connections, or get adaptors. I've got tiptop power which supplies both doepfer and AS style connectors.
is that the uZeus? that is what I just bought.
I was going to hack together my own interpretation of a eurorack PS and rack, but uZeus was pretty cheap compared to others and I have about half a dozen projects (mostly mic pres) sitting on my bench already.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 pm

I don't remember if the micro Zeus has anything but doepfer style -- the Zeus has additional connections for AS gear, but I don't believe the micro Zeus does. Even so, there are cables to be had that will do the legwork for you that are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/buynow.htm
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 09, 2014 2:17 am

Yeah Micro Zeus is Euro connectors only. AS isn't really Euro in my opinion, different power connectors, different screw hole pattern, you can shoe-horn them into a Euro system but it's an effort.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 09, 2014 5:16 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah Micro Zeus is Euro connectors only. AS isn't really Euro in my opinion, different power connectors, different screw hole pattern, you can shoe-horn them into a Euro system but it's an effort.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 am

If it's just about the gate delay, the one Doepfer makes (A162) is perfectly fine, also handy to convert anything into triggers / gates.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 am

pflosi wrote:If it's just about the gate delay, the one Doepfer makes (A162) is perfectly fine, also handy to convert anything into triggers / gates.
With the added bonus of you get two of them for half the price of the A Sys. :idea:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri May 09, 2014 11:50 am

Right. And the shortest gate time setting is short enough to get nice pings, which most triggers e.g. from drummachines are not.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 09, 2014 2:54 pm

got the tiptop unit and the WMD offset unit yesterday. Pretty easy to set up. I can see how this will become a nice little addiction. Even with only the one module I had several things plugged in and going on with the offset, invert and sum of both signals. My SH09 never sounded quite like that before.
Frankly I don't get how people can be okay with the Tiptop zrails in desktop fashion. This is a mess, it needs to be racked!

I am going to need a lot more long patch cables. :roll:
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Buy some 6u rails and some nuts and bolts and throw it in this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/44361109/

I have two and they work great and you can store other stuff under and on top.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 09, 2014 5:36 pm

sammy123 wrote:Buy some 6u rails and some nuts and bolts and throw it in this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/44361109/

I have two and they work great and you can store other stuff under and on top.
Oh h**l naw!
I'm more looking at 3 or 4 of these
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... t_Top.html
I've already got some other stuff that needs to be racked, and I do still play out, so I like my gear in waterproof, falling-over-proof cases.

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:38 pm

This is another option to cram more in: http://modularoverkill.blogspot.com/201 ... -case.html

Those gator cases look way too heavy duty and pretty for me.