When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 08, 2014 4:54 am

First, let me begin by saying to Automatic Gainsay: I know, monophonic synthesizers are better. I get it. Cool.

Also, I know the Volca Keys is polyphonic. I also happen to hate the sound of it.

Thirdly, yes, the Pulse 2 does have a paraphonic setting. It's awkward.

Now then, I am currently in the market for a polyphonic synth, and have been through my share of vintage ones to know I am not interested in servicing once every few months. I want something modern. The Dave Smith stuff is interesting. I hate the user interface on the Prophet 08, so that's out. The Prophet 12 is another story. I love it to pieces, but it is quite expensive. A bit more so than I am willing (or able) to part with at the moment.

I have been wondering for quite some time when we would see another company announce something analog and polyphonic (preferably with 8 voices). I thought about what company I'd like to see release something like that, and I decided Arturia would be most likely to produce my dream poly.

Everything about the Brutes is perfect in my eyes, and I would part with several organs to see that surface in the form of an 8 voice poly. Even with just 1 osc per voice, the Brute architecture is so flexible that you wouldn't even need a second. Forget Moog, I want a PolyBrute!

What do y'all think is going to happen? Only a matter of time, right?
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 am

You mean like the Analog Four? Or like the SOFV? Or the Ambika? Or something different?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 08, 2014 5:19 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:You mean like the Analog Four? Or like the SOFV? Or the Ambika? Or something different?
8 voice. I thought I mentioned that at least once. :roll:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 08, 2014 5:29 am

Oh so you want the SE Omega or CODE then?

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 08, 2014 5:40 am

Polyphony is Dave Smith's forte. Dave Smith is awesome, he makes quality gear.

I wouldn't count on Arturia making any new killer polyphonic synth that makes you forget about Prophet land any time soon.

You have obviously got the hots for the Prophet 12. Just get one and start loving it to pieces. It might even love you back..

If I could spend money, that I didn't have to spend, on a vintage Sequential (which could decide to stop working at any time), when my situation is akin to Germany's in April of 1945, I'm certain you, as a possibly semi-stable individual, could swing the Prophet 12..

A synth purchase is like a soul soothing event. That is why you and the other "cases" like us are on this forum..

Before Arturia or anyone else make a new Poly synth, I bet Dave will be releasing a Prophet 24 with double decker keyboards. Maybe even soon enough that I could buy one and be buried with it! :D

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 08, 2014 6:04 am

Let's not forget that the Prophet 12 isn't an analogue synth either, it's a hybrid with VA oscs and an analogue filter. Personally as the owner of three DSI synths in the past I think the DSI filter implementation doesn't really offer anything over a good VA, if I was thinking of a P12 I'd probably step up to a Solaris instead. Not much analogue magic in a DSI synth, it's the digital side of them that's interesting.

Algorithm

Post by Algorithm » Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 am

SeventhStar wrote: Before Arturia or anyone else make a new Poly synth, I bet Dave will be releasing a Prophet 24 with double decker keyboards.
He already made the prophet 10. A gigantic creation. :D

If I were to bet on who would do it in this day and age?
I would have to say Yamaha surprisingly. Does Katsunori Ujiie still work for them? Just look at the old stuff he promotes on musictrackjp. He acknowledges analog greatness at least, I would not be surprised if he could get the ball rolling. Maybe it wouldnt pay off? Im not sure about the size of this niche, but from the looks of ebay, stuff is selling constantly. Seems more and more might even be getting retro synths as decoration for bonus hip points. I dont see any old analog piece getting cheaper... Its only up from here. more and more young kids will find out about analog and buy the ol' things so they can sort of time travel and experience something from before their time, that was ahead of their time.

If yamaha did make an analog I dont see why it wouldnt sell. There was just a thread recently about a cs80 remake. That might be too far out, but I could picture them doing something worthwhile.
Is it trash or treasure?

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 08, 2014 6:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Let's not forget that the Prophet 12 isn't an analogue synth either, it's a hybrid with VA oscs and an analogue filter. Personally as the owner of three DSI synths in the past I think the DSI filter implementation doesn't really offer anything over a good VA, if I was thinking of a P12 I'd probably step up to a Solaris instead. Not much analogue magic in a DSI synth, it's the digital side of them that's interesting.
Yeah I forgot about the digital oscillators.. Dave seems to have always been a pioneer. He is not one for revisiting old synth technology for the most part. He prefers to move in new directions, hence his foray into the digital domain which he started over 3 decades ago. I think he is all about great tone with rock stable tuning, reliability and new sonic directions. He would probably be bored with just re-creating the P5 and P10. Been there, done that kind of thing.. Even though he could probably sell a lot of those kind of recreations.

He is no vintage synth explorer, he's already done plenty of that kind of exploring in the past.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:37 am

Algorithm wrote:If I were to bet on who would do it in this day and age?
I would have to say Yamaha surprisingly.
So you think the company that hasn't even made a VA in what, ten years, is going to make an analogue synth? :?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am

Kenneth wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:You mean like the Analog Four? Or like the SOFV? Or the Ambika? Or something different?

Analog Four Keys + Analog Four.

Voila!

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
Kenneth wrote:

Voila!
That would cost me more than a prophet. Why are the moderators on this site the worst members when it comes to reading posts past the first sentence?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Oh so you want the SE Omega or CODE then?
Also, would cost more than a prophet.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Kenneth wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:
Kenneth wrote: 8 voice. I thought I mentioned that at least once. :roll:

Voila!
That would cost me more than a prophet. Why are the moderators on this site the worst members when it comes to reading posts past the first sentence?
you want a NEW, cheap, analog poly? {ugly sarcastic remark deleted]

Non-DSI?

Not gonna happen anytime soon. Sorry. Those with the dev money have no interest in making a new cheap analog polysynth, those who might want to develop one don't have the money or the manufacturing base.

And two Analog Four desktops costs less than a Prophet 12 keyboard. :D

If you're expecting cheaper than that... then sit and wait for it to happen. IF costs a certain amount of money to develop and market these things, so 'cheap' is a less viable option. We are trying to present you with 'close enough' options that exist today, nto trying to cheat you out of your dream synth. a few years ago, we would have been telling you no one was going to make an analog poly, period, and listing what vintage units would fit your budget.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Oh, I guess you want the reissue Jupiter 8 that Roland are coming out with for $500 at NAMM 2015 then. Sorry, we mods really should be better at reading your thoughts, unfortunately all we have to go on is the words you wrote, such as:
What do y'all think is going to happen?
and
And then answer your questions.

Usually when someone says
I am currently in the market for a polyphonic synth
it means they want something that they can buy now, you know, like something that's currently on the market. Which is why you got all the suggestions of synths that are currently on the market and are analogue polys.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu May 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Kenneth wrote:First, let me begin by saying to Automatic Gainsay: I know, monophonic synthesizers are better. I get it. Cool.

Also, I know the Volca Keys is polyphonic. I also happen to hate the sound of it.

Thirdly, yes, the Pulse 2 does have a paraphonic setting. It's awkward.

Now then, I am currently in the market for a polyphonic synth, and have been through my share of vintage ones to know I am not interested in servicing once every few months. I want something modern. The Dave Smith stuff is interesting. I hate the user interface on the Prophet 08, so that's out. The Prophet 12 is another story. I love it to pieces, but it is quite expensive. A bit more so than I am willing (or able) to part with at the moment.

I have been wondering for quite some time when we would see another company announce something analog and polyphonic (preferably with 8 voices). I thought about what company I'd like to see release something like that, and I decided Arturia would be most likely to produce my dream poly.

Everything about the Brutes is perfect in my eyes, and I would part with several organs to see that surface in the form of an 8 voice poly. Even with just 1 osc per voice, the Brute architecture is so flexible that you wouldn't even need a second. Forget Moog, I want a PolyBrute!

What do y'all think is going to happen? Only a matter of time, right?

I'm actually of the mindset that the architecture of the original minibrute was ripe for extension into poly-ville. I can't be bothered right now to do some searching, but something keeps telling me that there was a discussion about the minibrute early on that led me to believe that Arturia was eventually going down the poly path. Obviously, that could be faulty memory or wishful thinking, or really both.

I'm fed to death of reissues; Especially reissues that are shrunken heads of their former selves. If we're going to pine for something fresh and new, don't make the fresh and new a re-hash of 70's/80's gear.

The current iterations of Analogue polysynths are expensive because it's not a trivial task to accomplish and still keep your business liquid. It's quite a risk putting forth all that development time to construct something of that magnitude and still stay profitable (or not hemorrhaging funds).

I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to have an actual manufacturer on here do a Q&A and have someone ask specific to this question -- as it seems we have this discussion on a pretty frequent basis.

I honestly can't think of a polysynth of current that is going to run under the $3,000 mark, unless you're willing to sacrifice polyphony. The Poly Evolver is an amazing machine for the price it fetches. If one was patient, perhaps you could find one and a Poly Evolver Rack for less and have your 8 voices of love.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome