When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 08, 2014 3:39 pm

silikon wrote:I honestly can't think of a polysynth of current that is going to run under the $3,000 mark, unless you're willing to sacrifice polyphony.
Well, I'm curious about the cost breakdown of a modern analog. If the majority of the price of, say, a Minibrute is in the analog innards, then yeah, I doubt we'd see anything more than a 4-voice for less than $3k; but if a significant amount of that is in the case/keybed/panel, then you could probably scale the number of voices up pretty affordably. I wonder...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm

You can't just add up the voices and add a (bigger) case, keybed and panel. Midi, resp. digital implementation is key here as well! A lot of the cost is also in the code. The Brutes don't have any midi implementation apart from clock sync and note on / off. That's why they are so cheap. You have to write a code as well as add a shitload of AD/DA to do the whole midi implementation, for memory, and also for poly (you could do the latter with a ton of VCAs instead, but that would be even more expensive). That's why these non-midi controlled (apart from the most basic functions) analog monos are cheap as chips. That's why the P5 was so groundbreaking - it was not the first polysynth, just the first with (proper) memory.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 08, 2014 5:08 pm

There is that, but the Brute already has MIDI in for the important stuff, and digital electronics are a million times cheaper than they were back in the day. Even if you needed dedicated DACs for the CV on each voice (instead of using one DAC plus a multi-channel sample & hold or something,) a cheapass Atmel microcontroller would have you covered several times over. Patch memory would be a further increase, but only if they decided to add it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 08, 2014 5:34 pm

I think the real stumbling block is that DSI has access to Curtis chips and noone else does. Analog polys starting with the Prophet 5 were mostly based on Curtis and SSM chips, now no longer available.

Developing new analog voice chips is a large investment, ask Alesis! The A6 used custom chips, I'm curious about what Elektron is using. The SE Omega/Code is discrete analog and not surprisingly $$$$$$$$$$$$.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Algorithm

Post by Algorithm » Thu May 08, 2014 6:24 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I think the real stumbling block is that DSI has access to Curtis chips and noone else does. Analog polys starting with the Prophet 5 were mostly based on Curtis and SSM chips, now no longer available.

I wonder if any company could gain access if they show enough "interest"? Maybe Dave is an elitist and would not share, but If someone had the money...
Is it trash or treasure?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm

I'd be surprised if Curtis wouldn't supply a sufficiently industrial-sized order, but of course there would have to be a client wanting to make one first.

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Thu May 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Hey Kenneth... What I'm about to suggest is completely impractical but I think it's doable provided you could live without some features and have the space to do it in.

Have you considered a FutureRetro Mondovox and your choice of up to 16 brutes? I know at least 8 microbrutes and a mondovox is $2700 or so but you could maybe start with 3 or 4 and over time, build up to the 8 or so voices that you need. Think of all of the patching madness!

Ok, so down sides - Gonna need space to have 8 micro/minibrures and a mondovox. No noise source on the microbrutes and no response to velocity. MIDI cables everywhere. Possibly more unforeseen problems.

Anyone please correct me if I'm off on this as I'm considering doing this with 4 microbrutes.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

Algorithm

Post by Algorithm » Thu May 08, 2014 7:07 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I'd be surprised if Curtis wouldn't supply a sufficiently industrial-sized order, but of course there would have to be a client wanting to make one first.
Right, well from the looks of it, every company worked together on midi. & Dave worked at yamaha also iirc? I would imagine if someone wanted to, they could easily work something out. Just seems like nobody is willing to go for it.

Speaking of every company working together on midi, imagine if a synth was made like that. All the greatest working collectively to create what was unheard of. Its fun to think about. :lol:
Is it trash or treasure?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Just screw that and buy a used Andromeda A6. Gives you 16 voices of analog fun. I have one.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Tom O is working on a new OB-X. It will crush everything :twisted: And you will have to save your lunchmoney for a thousand years. (If it happens)

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Well, as far as inexpensive analogue poly synths that you don't have to worry about there's the Roland JX family and the Juno 6/60 and Alpha series. Ehh, most others like the Oberheim Matrix series are fairly reliable but problems can occur from time to time. It's just the nature of the beast, if you're not content with what's out today and don't want to deal with temperamental vintage gear that really doesn't leave much to choose from. Look at the Studio Electronics Omega like someone else mentioned.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 09, 2014 1:43 am

Cybercardinal wrote:Tom O is working on a new OB-X. It will crush everything :twisted: And you will have to save your lunchmoney for a thousand years. (If it happens)
No, he's not. The SO4V has been indefinitely shelved, so don't expect any OB "polys" beyond the new 2V any time soon (unfortunately :cry: ).
Do you even post on vse bro?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 am

commodorejohn wrote:I'd be surprised if Curtis wouldn't supply a sufficiently industrial-sized order, but of course there would have to be a client wanting to make one first.
The main issue really I guess is that he's dead. Hard to do any negotiating when you're dead.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri May 09, 2014 2:02 am

You can wait around frustrated for the expensive thing you want.

Or, you can multitrack.

Or, polychain.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 09, 2014 2:06 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Cybercardinal wrote:Tom O is working on a new OB-X. It will crush everything :twisted: And you will have to save your lunchmoney for a thousand years. (If it happens)
No, he's not. The SO4V has been indefinitely shelved, so don't expect any OB "polys" beyond the new 2V any time soon (unfortunately :cry: ).
Unless you're handy with DIY… http://www.cs80.com/crowbx/