When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Re: When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 pm

madmarkmagee wrote:
Rezisehtnys wrote:Well, the first synthesizer had stacked keyboards. So...

Are there actually any legit recordings or footage of the Telharmonium?
I don't think that there is sadly, unless somewhere there's a gramophone recording that's yet to be discovered.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri May 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Rezisehtnys wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:besides the Theremin was the first real synth.
Telharmonium was 1897, Theremin was 1928. ;)
#include sarcasm.h
#include dry_humour.h

Bullshit. Life began at the Minimoog. </end_thread>
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

plus321

Post by plus321 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:45 pm

alan partridge wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:an analog poly? not from Novation. Korg , maybe... 'in the next few years'... but that's a long time in the synth world. A simpler but bigger synth from Elektron? would go contrary to their knob-tweaky- 'parameter lock' UI thing.
I would put my money on either Korg or Novation, or both, within the next two years.

Over on gearslutz :

breakmixer :
"I got sent a questionaire about the Bass Station II and asking if a Polyphonic version would be desired, would I pay more, would it need a keyboard etc etc."

Casimir's Blake :
"I predict that there will be a great deal more discussion of Novation on this board, in the near future. Intriguing questionnaire...."

Polyphonic Bass Station 2 would be amazing. I really like the synth as is. It sounds good and is one of my favorite current analog monos.

I don't care about DCO vs VCO. I would just like a modern analog-ish poly synth that is affordable. I tried to get another juno 106 recently and the price has more than doubled since I bought my last one. I think there are more than enough choices for mono synths at this point. Hoping Korg or Novation do one soon.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 17, 2014 3:28 am

plus321 wrote:I don't care about DCO vs VCO. I would just like a modern analog-ish poly synth that is affordable.
Buy an Ultranova then. ;)

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat May 17, 2014 11:50 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
plus321 wrote:I don't care about DCO vs VCO. I would just like a modern analog-ish poly synth that is affordable.
+1
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
or an Alesis ion.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Yup..The Ion/Micron does the analog emulation thing down to perfection.

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Sat May 17, 2014 9:01 pm

The Waldorf Q family does a good job as well. The AN1x is another good one. For some reason the Ion didn't really jive with me, it was my first synth. One of these days I'll have to revisit it.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun May 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I have to disagree about the Alesis Micron, it sounded bright and rather brittle to my ear.
A nice synth to create it's own unique sound, but I wouldn't buy it thinking it could emulate classic analog synths.

I did have a Yamaha AN1X for awhile, and I think it emulated classic analog sounds much better.
There was a guy on ebay not too many months ago in Korea I believe who'd come across some NIB AN1X's, and the price was quite reasonable IMO. Almost jumped on getting one, but have enough synths for now.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun May 25, 2014 9:50 pm

I've noticed of late on a number of high profile music events covered on TV that the Roland Jupiter 80 seems very much to be a 'staple' polysynth, in the traditional sense, for high profile bands. Quite ubiquitous.

I own a JP80 and despite the criticism it has received (arguably because of the name and all that implies); it sounds and plays very well. SN Acoustic tones are amazing; and the SN Synth Tone is very nice - as a polysynth in the traditional sense (except for _very_ bad aliasing on it's PWM which I've flagged with Roland but not certain they are going to fix it).

But - it really does seem to be 'the polysynth of choice' for most high profile bands; suggesting there's a role for the 'polysynth' as we traditionally understand it from the 80's; and that the likes of Access, Clavia and Dave Smith don't seem to be attracting attention for live scenarios.

Not saying the JP80 is better, or special, but you see them all the time in keyboard rigs these days; and seems to suggest there's a market for 'polysynths' for live playing.

Kevin.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:22 pm

knolan wrote:I've noticed of late on a number of high profile music events covered on TV that the Roland Jupiter 80 seems very much to be a 'staple' polysynth, in the traditional sense, for high profile bands. Quite ubiquitous.

I own a JP80 and despite the criticism it has received (arguably because of the name and all that implies); it sounds and plays very well. SN Acoustic tones are amazing; and the SN Synth Tone is very nice - as a polysynth in the traditional sense (except for _very_ bad aliasing on it's PWM which I've flagged with Roland but not certain they are going to fix it).

But - it really does seem to be 'the polysynth of choice' for most high profile bands; suggesting there's a role for the 'polysynth' as we traditionally understand it from the 80's; and that the likes of Access, Clavia and Dave Smith don't seem to be attracting attention for live scenarios.

Not saying the JP80 is better, or special, but you see them all the time in keyboard rigs these days; and seems to suggest there's a market for 'polysynths' for live playing.

Kevin.
I have to agree that the 'synth' (VA) engine in the JP 80, JP 50, and the new FA series is seriously overlooked. Its pretty decent at doing 'traditional polysynth' (i.e. Jupiter and Juno) sounds, and can handle a lot of the 'trancey' JP8k type sounds as well.Of course, the programming interface isn't that great, but anyway.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon May 26, 2014 12:14 am

FWIW

MFB - Manfred Fricke Berlin on FB:
Dom 5 is under contruction, but slowly!

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon May 26, 2014 8:12 am

knolan wrote:I've noticed of late on a number of high profile music events covered on TV that the Roland Jupiter 80 seems very much to be a 'staple' polysynth, in the traditional sense, for high profile bands. Quite ubiquitous.

Kevin.
I think clavia is a pretty common brand you see at gigs.

This reads like a ad from Roland, but I guess the Jupiter's would be a backing keyboardists dream. Nice key bed, It does tons of v good piano, orchestral strings and synth, splits etc. You just plug it in and turn it on and away you go. If the act was just doing the keyboard parts for some rock group etc, and If you didn't want to drag around tons of equipment it would be the way to go.

Obviously it would be different if you were an "electronic artist", or utilised more synth in your songs.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 am

madmarkmagee -

Pop on over to rolandclan.com and look for one or two of my posts. About 18 months ago I posted what was considered a balanced - but seriously negative - critique of the JP80. It's the most responded to and read post on that forum, by a country mile. So I'd appreciate you doing a little homework before you post sloppy comments about my post here being a 'roland ad' which I resent by the way - my post above is balanced.

It is clear on that forum that I find the JP80 infuriating - its user interface and Tone-Liveset-Registration structure are a nightmare to handle; conversely it's SN Acoustic Tones are nothing short of stunning. Simiarly, the Synth Tone sounds fantastic - the filters are VERY good - while the PWM Alisaig problem is a disaster - it's so audible from about C5 upwards that it renders using it impossible - and since almost every Registration uses so many Tones (you can layer up to 27 Tones in one Registration) that almost all the factory Registrations are useless for professional recording and live applications.

None the less, its traditional 80's polysynth sound is what it seems to be used for; and suggests that there is room for a 'polysynth' market in the JP8, P5 vein, which the JP80 seems to fill (though not analogue of course). But it does sound more 'polysynth analogue' than the competition, IMO. Playing though its presets is like playing through the presets of a JP8, J106 or JX8P.

I agree with the post above about Clavia - but - mostly for the Electro and Stage, not for the Nord Lead or Wave, in my opinion. Last year I was in Paris and on a particular saturday during the summer bands play on almost every street - and I mean a huge number of bands all across the city. Have never seen anything like before or since. What shocked me was the ubiquity of Clavia Stage and Electro keyboards for electric piano. Saw literally dozens and dozens of them. But didn't see any nord leads or waves.

Kevin.

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Mon May 26, 2014 10:38 am

madmarkmagee wrote:

Kevin.
I think clavia is a pretty common brand you see at gigs.

This reads like a ad from Roland, (AS IN THIS PART >>>>>>) but I guess the Jupiter's would be a backing keyboardists dream. Nice key bed, It does tons of v good piano, orchestral strings and synth, splits etc. You just plug it in and turn it on and away you go. If the act was just doing the keyboard parts for some rock group etc, and If you didn't want to drag around tons of equipment it would be the way to go.

Obviously it would be different if you were an "electronic artist", or utilised more synth in your songs.
whoa, calm your tits! he is clearly talking about his own post :)