Yamaha CP-60/70/80 series (and a bit more)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iphoenix

Re: Yamaha CP-60/70/80 series (and a bit more)

Post by iphoenix » Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 am

I had CP25 for a few years from new in the early 1980s. A beautiful instrument to play.
The manual stated that the tone generators were based on a square wave analogue design.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 am

iphoenix wrote:I had CP25 for a few years from new in the early 1980s. A beautiful instrument to play.
The manual stated that the tone generators were based on a square wave analogue design.
Which, I´m sure, later evolved into the PASS technology, used with their Electone organs (like the E70 and bigger).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri May 16, 2014 11:13 am

Not exactly, as PASS was earlier than CP electronic pianos :-) E70/50 are from 1977. That CP-25 may be some spin-off from 2nd generation PASS used in organs like D85, where it was more integrated - single chip had tone generators and envelopes inside. That YM722 wave generator chip looks like a little brother to YM080200/YM080300 chips used in D85/E45 Electones, which have multiple sine, square and sawtooth outputs.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm

I had a CP30 decades back. Yes it had weighted & velocity sensitive keys, but any decent digital piano these days has a better action. It was a bit loose & bouncy. Had a unique character but no relation at all to the awesome CP70/80. To me it always sounded somewhere between an EP & a clavinet. If you're curious, the best example of the CP30's sound I know of is Ultravox's Astradyne instrumental.
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 pm

I had a CP-35 for awhile, the action was nice but it was singularly uninspiring to play. it was sturdy though, and had a nice flat top for stacking other keys on top. I also had a Yamaha SK-30, but not at the same time, otherwise I might have kept them both.

can you imagine an all-Yamaha rig from that era?

CP-35
SK-50d
CS-70M
CP-70
CS-80

:shock:

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat May 17, 2014 3:50 am

I can imagine how long you'd retain the typical roadie if you had a rig like that.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Mattew96
Gear: Ace Tone GT-7
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Voyager Select
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I don't understand why people are so sensitive to heavy instruments. I don't mind hauling around something heavy and bulky and setting it up. I mean, many of the douches I played with made me carry their amps and cymbal stands and c**p in and then tried to ditch me for my own instruments. If I always had to do it alone, yeah that'd be fairly intolerable and basically impossible for some instruments but I'd still do as much as I can because damn they're something else. Find someone reliable, build some muscle, get buff, enjoy the beasts that these instruments are, and then you can beat the s**t out of anyone who dares make fun of keyboardists (or at least convince your bandmates to help you)! It's win win! The keyboard instrument manufacturers were doing us a favour back then. ;)
Grapple with reality.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 am

Mattew96 wrote:I don't understand why people are so sensitive to heavy instruments. [...]
How old are you? What floor is your studio on? Have you ever had any hand or arm injuries?
adamstan wrote:Not exactly, as PASS was earlier than CP electronic pianos :-) E70/50 are from 1977. [...]
Ah, thanks for the info -- I´ve always had the E-series filed under "early 1980s". So it might seem possible (and plausible) they actually used PASS for the CP-25/35.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

Mattew96
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:50 pm

I am 18, my studio is on my main floor, but much of it has travelled to many different areas around the GTA, as well as a Moog prodigy + old wooden ATA case I calibrated and had to lug up and down large hills through forests on foot (long story... It was pretty awful). I have serious pain issues with my right hand and arm due to some undiagnosed issue as of yet, but sometimes I can't even hold a glass. This has been devloping over the last year or so. My post was somewhat tongue in cheek too. Anyways, this is off the thread topic.
I find it funny that there seems to be due praise going to the low CP series on this thread. I have always been wary of them due to their exceedingly low going price and disdain of their sellers. Next time I see one I'll consider it more carefully. I lost the CP 80, it had dropped to $600 and I just missed out by minutes. C'est la vie. That being said, the JV-1080 does a pretty good job of it, along with my QS 8, so I have some options at least :)
Grapple with reality.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Mattew96 wrote:I don't understand why people are so sensitive to heavy instruments.
have you gigged with an RMI 368X Electrapiano & Harpsichord?

I have.

:blink:

Mattew96
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Lol, okay, I get it. I'll shut my mouth until I get some ++real experience :D
Grapple with reality.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Mattew96 wrote:Lol, okay, I get it. I'll shut my mouth until I get some ++real experience :D
That´s okay. You´re a young lad :drinks: .

See you in 24 years.

Stephen

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm

I certainly wouldn't gig with my sk50d. It was h**l getting it up steep stairs with stair gates and round tight bends on my own to get it to my studio room.

Skytouch

Post by Skytouch » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 am

The CP30 was an incredibly well engineered, rugged beast. Its lid was its stand - not legs like a Rhodes but a true pedestal design with no wobble and strong enough to support someone sitting on it. Every physical component was integral to the instrument in either packed or performance mode, meaning it was virtually impossible to lose a part.

Exterior construction was vinyl covered plywood. Internally the CP30 used a simulated wood material that was rugged and visually attractive.

Weight was similar to a suitcase Rhodes - a bit lighter but still a two-person moving job at the gig. Setup could easily be handled by one person and was elegantly simple. The ME who designed that package was a genius imho.

As others have posted, this was not a mechanical instrument like CP70/80 or Rhodes, but basically a multitimbral subtractive analog synth meant to simulate a range of piano sounds, rather like an improved RMI 300B.

Velocity sensitivity was good. The sound engine was mediocre but playable. The range of sounds available via rocker switches (in combination) felt like one core analog sound with LPF more or less open, simulating everything from a buzzy harpsichord to a clav to a muted organ-like tone. CON: It sounded nowhere as nice as a Rhodes. PRO: It was much easier to keep tuned and maintained, and more travel-friendly. The CP30 piano keybed was excellent; solid and Rhodes-like with a bit less bounce.

Unprocessed, the sound could be a bit thin and lame. But what saved it was identical L/R controls with ability to adjust separately. L and R outputs could be manually detuned to create a lovely stereo flange or chorus effect. That plus a decent stereo tremolo circuit gave the keyboard some life and motion. Adding an external pedal (e.g. a Mu-Tron Bi-Phase or analog delay) made it even better.

I don't miss mine beyond the nostalgia of having one, but must say it was perfect back in the days of gigging and moving between apartments. It always landed in the living room as a "parlor piano" connected to the home stereo, which was great for whenever musical friends came by to visit.

Sky
(Opinions are my own, etc.)

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:25 am

CP-11 is a far superior instrument to all of those previously listed. 8-)
Comparison is the thief of joy.