Sysex with Novation K & V Station

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CuBulo
Gear: toyota
Band: priima

Sysex with Novation K & V Station

Post by CuBulo » Fri May 16, 2014 1:06 am

For hours I have been trying and trying to get SysEx Librarian to import individual custom presets from my Novation K-Station to use on the V-Station vst. Im running an M-Audio midisport uno. SysEx Librarian will import whole preset banks, but it refuses to recognize single preset dumps.

I'm also having a second problem. I did manage to get SysEx Librarian to recognize a few single preset dumps (still wont do the ones I want), but V-Station is still giving me an invalid file message.

I need help!
wiggle diggle do

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Sysex with Novation K & V Station

Post by Zamise » Sat May 17, 2014 5:54 am

I don't have any of the gear you are talking about so I may not be the best person to give advise on this, but perhaps you could get something like Bome's Send SX and capture the midi codes and enter settings in your other software manually?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon May 19, 2014 9:16 am

Here's what you need to do:
In SysEx Librarian click the "Record One" button. It'll sit there waiting. On the K Station press MENU- UTILITIES- and select "DUMP Current Sound" and press the WRITE button. The SysEx Librarian will have saved a new untitled 270 byte file to the list.

I don't have V Station so I can't check if it will import my files there. If it doesn't see that file, try changing the file extension to .syx or .SYX (sometimes capitalisation matters).

What happens when the K Station is using an oscillator waveform that the V Station doesn't have?

ChuckFalcon
Gear: Roland Promars MRS-2
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000
Band: Chuck Falcon

Post by ChuckFalcon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:43 am

I have a Novation A Station and I am using Sysex Librarian as well with similar results. I want to load up some Jupiter or Juno patches but I can't seem to get the A Station to receive ANYTHING? Its protection is off but still nothing. Is there a special mode that it needs to be in? So far it has be a GIGANTIC headache and have considered getting rid of it!

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:20 pm

I have a x station, wich can use all the same sysex files from the k station, ks4,ks5 (most of them not the multi timberal) and the v station and I believe a station also.

the x station has basically 200 sounds it holds and I could only get it to load 100 at a time through midi ox but I could preview 1 sound but not save 1 at a time, so what I did is went through all the sysex files I got for all the different novation synths and everyone I liked I put into a folder until I had 100 that I liked and then I bulk dumped 100 at a time, and now I have a x station filled with the best fx sounds and leads and bass sounds. it took all night but It was worth it in the end.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Decided to buy V Station on sale from Plugin Boutique because I need a portable K Station (I use this synth a lot). But it won't load sysex from K Station in standard MIDI file format. Aargh!

Anyone got this working?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 am

You trying to load single programmes?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:02 pm

I've tried single programs and banks (of 100). In SMF format. They all give "Invalid Format" in the plugin.

fairlight

Post by fairlight » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:05 pm

I am running a demo of V-Station considering a purchase, also trying to load a simple exported KS-Rack bank via a sys-ex/midi file. I'm getting the same error-100 file invalid message. The file was recorded in Cubase with sys-ex filtering un-checked. In the list editor, all the data is listed, so I know the file is good. Help with this would be great, as it's a pretty no-brainer procedure. Seems to be in the V-Station somehow. I also notice that the V-Station requires a .mid labelled file, but Cubase only exports a .midi file. These should be the same, but maybe I'm missing something. Changing to .mid does't work either. Thanks...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 pm

I've emailed Nivation support, if everyone else could do the same maybe we can get done action on this.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Spoke with Novation. K Station and V Station are compatible. But KS series have more parameters so are not directly compatible.

I guess we could work out the differences, find the hexadecimal code for them and map them to the nearest parameter in the V. Maybe even write a script to do it automatically.

I'm in two minds now because the V responds to cc's from the KS, so you could dial in patches manually. Not as slick as the direct patch exchange I imagined.

fairlight

Post by fairlight » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:28 pm

Are ANY KS-Rack patches able to be sys-ex'd over in the traditional way? For me, there are a few "go-to" patches that I use on a regular basis. I've tried a couple of them, without success. If I can't get any of my KS-Rack patches to import into the V-Station plug, that would be a deal breaker for me to purchase.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Nope, not compatible. I spoke to a coder friend, it might be possible to make an online converter, stay tuned.