Ebay scam risk? EDIT: EBAY higgity HACKED!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Algorithm

Re: Ebay scam risk?

Post by Algorithm » Sun May 18, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks for the advice. I tried but customer support seems to be automated... nothing matched my situation either... Id rather lose whatever that fee is than call ebay...
Is it trash or treasure?

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Sun May 18, 2014 1:49 am

Holy lag Batman!!! The fee is 10% of the final selling value on auctions, can't remember with BIN.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:58 am

I'll second the motion to call eBay. I've had to do that a couple of times and they've actually been very helpful.

Good luck and get on it!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 pm

I've sold stuff to zero feedback buyers plenty of times. The big red flag is when they are asking questions and making assertions that only a seasoned ebayer should be familiar with. Then I know that they must have multiple accounts or must have lost an account to violations before.

OTOH I've basically quit Ebay and paypal because I got sick of their 'treat everyone like a criminal' mentality.
I won't go into details, but Paypal ticked me off enough to never want to give them another red cent.
And when you combine Ebay and Paypal, it can be quite painful to jump through all the hoops to get a bad buyer/seller claim through.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Just curious: if the guy paid you through PayPal, why do you care what his feedback score is, or whether Google Maps shows a boarded-up house? If you get paid through PayPal, you'll get paid. Period.

I've never had a situation where I got paid through PayPal, shipped the item, and then had PayPal say later, "oh, sorry, you don't get your money." Has this ever happened to anyone else?

On a related note, whenever I sell anything on eBay and get paid through PayPal, my funds are always immediately available. No exceptions. Of course, I've had an account for 14 years, which may explain it.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Aaron2 wrote:Just curious: if the guy paid you through PayPal, why do you care what his feedback score is, or whether Google Maps shows a boarded-up house? If you get paid through PayPal, you'll get paid. Period.

I've never had a situation where I got paid through PayPal, shipped the item, and then had PayPal say later, "oh, sorry, you don't get your money." Has this ever happened to anyone else?

On a related note, whenever I sell anything on eBay and get paid through PayPal, my funds are always immediately available. No exceptions. Of course, I've had an account for 14 years, which may explain it.
yes this has happened to me.
Maybe they have changed rules in the last few years, but I have had buyers dispute a transaction, and then Paypal either pulled the finds back out of my account, or froze my paypal, while it was resolved.
I hope they fixed that because it was basically their word against mine regarding what was in the box when it shipped.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Algorithm

Post by Algorithm » Tue May 20, 2014 1:23 am

Aaron2 wrote:Just curious: if the guy paid you through PayPal, why do you care what his feedback score is, or whether Google Maps shows a boarded-up house? If you get paid through PayPal, you'll get paid. Period.

Ebay is pay pal... Until the buyer confirms item is received, ebay holds that money. Since he is a rookie, he could live in a neighboring place, intercept package delivery, and then open a case with paypal to try to get both money and item. Being a rookie would allow him to have no worry about ditching the blank account afterwards.
Maybe it would have worked out smoothly? I would rather not take the chance though... Ive read too many other naive recollections of some guy losing money and the synth in the end... Without the package/synth how can insurance be claimed?

Although... If you do "signature required" on shipment to 0 feedbacker, could that be abused somehow?
neighbor intercepts delivery like they are out of town maybe?

It seems I got charged by PPal to refund the money... What kind of...
Is it trash or treasure?

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 am

i think they can effectively just claim the item was not as described, pull out whatever chips or boards or whatever they want then send it back to you for a tidy refund. h**l, whats to stop them just sending you back a cheap midi controller and keeping your synth and their money? its like schrodingers synth: how can you prove whats inside the sealed box your posting?

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Tue May 20, 2014 5:46 am

When I list on ebay I require,

Buyer is a US Bidder (I don't want any transactions from outside the USA. Inside USA, both I and buyer are protected by some US laws..)
Pays with US Bank funds ONLY (paypal charges more for Foreign Bank Funds and I setup my PP account to block those transactions)
Only ship to lower 48 states. No Hawaii or Alaska (I might make an exception for more Post $$$)

ONLY SHIPS TO CONFIRMED ADDRESS. This is the safest way to do a transaction since the buyer has proved it is in fact their address.

No PO Boxes!
0-2 Feedback and or New Accounts buyers must contact me prior to bidding. I reserve the right to cancel ANY bids. (Neg. feedback?? Buyers cannot get neg. feedback, ONLY SELLERS!)

Ebay is NOT for sellers. It is for BUYERS!
If there were no buyers, there would not be $$$ for ebay.
Ebay will side for the buyer more than the seller.. they want the buyer to come back and spend more $$$ later. If they lose a seller, its not as bad as losing a repeat buyer.

Right now a seller can get the PayPal money to their account, but if the buyer makes any sort of claim that the item is Not As Described and can be convincing enough to ebay support, ebay will Refund the $$$ back to the buyer, taking the money out of the sellers PayPal account and/or paying them with ebays funds and charging back to the seller if the $$$ was already removed from the PayPal account.

But get this.. THE SELLER NOW MUST PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING OUT OF THEIR POCKET if they want the item back!
There are many items I see on ebay where the seller said he sold the item before, but the buyer claimed there was something wrong with it. Ebay refunded ALL their money back and the SELLER HAD TO PAY THE RETURN POSTAGE! Only to get the item back in full working condition.
So he lost $$$ on the deal. The return postage.

Another scam is for a buyer to have an item just like what you are selling, but HIS ITEM IS BROKEN. So they swap parts to make their item work, make a claim on your "broken" item, get ALL their money back, YOU PAY RETURN SHIPPING and they send back your item's case with their broken guts inside it. This is why I also sometimes state my items are Strategically Marked on all internal parts to identify it is the item I sold. Easy to do with an etching tool or some hard to match nail polish paint on it somewhere.. anything to identify it as the item I sold.

Also keep in mind that ebay will charge final fees of 10% not only on your item's cost, but ALSO THE SHIPPING CHARGES!
So they double dip and you end up paying more for shipping due to them taking 10% of it in fees.
In most cases, you really end up paying around 15% in fees to ebay and 3%=30c for PayPal fees.. that's ~18% in fees!

It's getting worse and worse on ebay for Sellers. Buyers have it made now with the no fuss refund ebay offers to claimants.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Tue May 20, 2014 7:35 am

Yep I only sell small, cheap, easy to ship and low risk of damage items on Ebay now. The chances of getting scammed are very low, especially if you research the buyer before shipping, but they still exist at a high enough rate that I would never sell a high ticket item through them. When researching a buyer check their actual name that shows up on the paypal address and not their ebay ID. Scammers will often change their IDs once they are found out or create new ones, do a few proper transactions then go for the big score.

It's tempting though. There are certain high ticket items i sometimes think of selling and seeing the successful completed transactions do tempt me as if you want the best price you have to go to ebay. Nobody on your local craigslist or a synth forum is going to give you the going rate for something unless it's ridiculously rare.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

william

Post by william » Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 am

Bitexion wrote:So I guess all the good synth deals on eBay is off-limits to someone like me, who never sold or bought anything off ebay, then.

ANOTHER TRICK ...that some bastards use on Ebay:
Say you're selling a synth for $1000 on EBay
Another dude is selling the same synth for $1500.
You are creating a shitty situation for him (he's not likely to get his asking price while yours is still listed).
This other seller (usually with very little feedback) BUYS YOUR identical item.
Now - his item is the only one (or one of few), and he is likely to get his asking price.

Then Next step: he fails to pay you.

By the time you've been through the resolution process on Ebay, he's already sold his item for that higher price, so he's ahead, and you're item been 'eclipsed'.

I have bought & sold loads of stuff on Ebay now. Never had a problem that wasn't quite easily resolved.
I do understand how hard it can be to get started, (having no feedback).
There are loads of ways around this though. The simplest, is to purchase a bunch of inexpensive items. Even things worth a couple of dollars. That way, in short time and minimal expense, you'll create a feedback history.

Sometimes, I also sell items for virtually nothing, (eg. vintage camera lenses for $2 each) just to clear out the clutter and make things available @ obscenely low prices.
It's fun, helpful, increases your 'Karmic Coupons', and creates a feedback history as a seller.

I suspect the reason that people are so opposed to selling to someone with low feedback, is that it's too easy for someone to create a new profile on Ebay, after they've received a shipload of negative feedback from ripping people off. Also, there are a lot of inexperienced sellers who make mistakes that are frustrating to the rest of us.

Good luck out there (says the guy who just bought a Korg Prophecy in great shape, on Ebay for $172, and a 'Beat Thang' for about $400 last week!!!!!!)
Last edited by william on Wed May 21, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Wed May 21, 2014 3:04 am

Another buyer scam to watch for when you're selling..

It's called "Bid Shielding"

It goes like this.

Scamming buyer runs two accounts.
Your item is bid on 1st by the Winning account.
Then the Shielding account bids against the Winning account.. bids a very high price..
The Winning account bids against the Shielding accounts single high bid several times, driving the prices so high that no one else bothers to bid against the Shielding account...

Then, just as the auction ends, the Shielding account CANCELS ALL IT's BIDS. This is usually just the one ridiculously high bid.
Thus ALL the bids except the Winning account's 1st low bid are cancelled out and that account wins the auction for a stupid crazy low price.

william

Post by william » Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 am

...THE SELLER NOW MUST PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING OUT OF THEIR POCKET if they want the item back!

Can you clarify for me?
I just bought something, band new, full packaging - but found it defective (probably from the manufacturer).
It was offered with free shipping. How is it that I can expect the SELLER to pay for me to return ship the item?
Thanks for your insight.

Will

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 am

have you contacted the seller?

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =314486876

EBay Asks Users To Change Password After Breach

by The Associated Press

May 21, 201410:33 AM ET

NEW YORK (AP) — E-commerce site eBay is asking users to change their password after a cyberattack compromised a database containing encrypted passwords.