Ebay scam risk? EDIT: EBAY higgity HACKED!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Algorithm

Re: Ebay scam risk?

Post by Algorithm » Thu May 22, 2014 1:09 am

What timing... They were attacked as far back as february? wow... I guess it takes time to figure out how to go public with news like that though, let alone notice it happened. Strange to consider the motivation behind it? for names, addresses and encrypted passwords? Me and a buddy hypothesized it was just a fun practice run for someone.
I did hear that some items were being relisted without the account owner consent. As well as strange attempted purchases.

Maybe some frustrated sellers fed up with it are responsible. Got tired of the buyer brown nosing between ebay.
Is it trash or treasure?

william

Post by william » Thu May 22, 2014 7:10 pm

intrancewetrust wrote:have you contacted the seller?

Yes, he's just asked me to return it.
I'm unsure if I can send it collect - I'll be checking that out.

w

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Ebay scam risk? EDIT: EBAY higgity HACKED!

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 22, 2014 7:49 pm

giggity
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Thu May 22, 2014 9:16 pm

william wrote:...THE SELLER NOW MUST PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING OUT OF THEIR POCKET if they want the item back!

Can you clarify for me?
I just bought something, band new, full packaging - but found it defective (probably from the manufacturer).
It was offered with free shipping. How is it that I can expect the SELLER to pay for me to return ship the item?
Thanks for your insight.

Will

ebay now has a "ebay Money Back Guarantee" program.

If the item is not as described in the listing, you make a claim against the seller if they wont refund your money AND pay for return shipping (if they want it back).
Usually ebay sides with the buyer and they can enforce a full refund to your PayPal acct. w/out the seller's authorization.

Unfortunately, I have had to do this a few times and only one item was actually returned since it was insured thru the PO by the seller. The other items were not very expensive and the seller chose not to have it returned..

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Fri May 23, 2014 4:36 am

william wrote:
intrancewetrust wrote:have you contacted the seller?

Yes, he's just asked me to return it.
I'm unsure if I can send it collect - I'll be checking that out.

w
Seems only reasonable that if he actually sent you something broken you shouldnt get slugged with another shipping fee.

I was always under the impression that the buyer had to pay return shipping and i have ended up with some junk as a result!

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:23 am

Algorithm wrote:Thanks everyone. Despite me telling him I would not do business without background or rep, he still bid on the item... :lol:
It is DEFINITELY an attempt at a scam. So now, I have to bother with this garbage. & I could care f**k less if I get a negative feedback from this.. Im not shipping anything to this character. Gotta deal with a dumbass at least once. It happens to all the greats feedback.

I would almost rather just smash this synth into pieces before selling it on ebay now though...
Its dangerous on ebay. Keep your head on a swivel.

& Yeah, for any newcomer to ebay, it seems your chances are slim unless you grind feedback off dinky trinkets.
Start off in belt buckles, then work your way up the ranks, through doilies, then through arcade pcbs, allowing you to finally take part in the synth market.
And what if people don't want to waste their money on useless junk just to live up to the expectations of an arrogant eBay user? That's the same story as refusing to hire someone who has no experience. There's nothing wrong with PayPal. If the money clears, it's money. Ship the synth. Bang. End of story. I've dealt with massive sellers and 0 sellers and buyers. Almost five hundred transactions and I've only gotten burned three times, and only one of those was regarding a synth purchase from overseas that was a deliberate deception. The other two were for anime memorabilia from Japan. You stand as much chance of being in a major automobile accident going to the music store. Usually the only notable rip-offs in synths are those sales of classic keyboards that usually sell for thousands starting off at $1, from a seller that usually only sells dolls or watches or knitted goods. Sure sign of a hijacked account. And how exactly is a VSE Classified transaction any more secure, without even something like eBay Buyer Protection to fall back on? Reputation? Standing in the VSE community? If someone is determined to steal your money or equipment, I doubt the opinions of the forum members here would be of much consequence. Sure, it would be a wonderful world if the local music shop carried all the classical instruments you'd ever want to buy at reasonable prices. That's a pipe dream. Reality is, if you want it now, you have to trust somebody.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I used to be on Ebay in a pretty big way. I had been selling stuff on there since the 90's.
I quit it n about 2009 when Ebay and paypal started freezing money on me over totally bullshit claims by sketchy buyers.
I dont know if fraud totally blew up or what, but as a seller it became impossible to turn a profit for me.
As a buyer I have had too many weird transactions.
It''s like buying stuff at a flea market, but your bank account is involved. Not cool if you ask me.
Oh and pay pal is c**p. I will never use them again. Way too many problems with those guys.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 pm

If you smell a rat, you can block individual bidders.

I've got a couple blocked on my account; one that took 6 weeks to pay with all kinds of excuses, and another that I simply find kind of a slimey type that I don't feel like selling to.

gs

Post by gs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Also, in the Seller Account Settings, you can have your eBay account automatically block users with zero or negative feedback.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M