What can a Roland JX-3P do without PG 200 programmer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: What can a Roland JX-3P do without PG 200 programmer

Post by madtheory » Tue May 20, 2014 6:57 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:It´s not the synth that is limited, it´s your own imagination.
Ah, wheeling out that old cliché. The guy's a noob, doesn't know how to use a decidedly unfriendly synth. Nothing to do with imagination.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 pm

madtheory wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:It´s not the synth that is limited, it´s your own imagination.
Ah, wheeling out that old cliché. The guy's a noob, doesn't know how to use a decidedly unfriendly synth. Nothing to do with imagination.
When I was a noob, I just tweaked and tweaked until I got what I wanted. You wouldn´t believe how much I came across that I hadn´t actually been looking for.

Thank God, I didn´t start with a DX-7.

Seriously, that instant gratification thing these days seems to spoil people´s anticipation of how quickly results are to be achieved. "Oh, I can´t get it in five minutes, it´s not worth the bother..." -- hey, keep on trying, use your imagination, learn how to use the tools you have got, learn to work around its limitations. If you really care, that is. And always remember Uncle Eno:

"Limitations force you to be creative."

Creativity is all about imagination.

Get it?

Stephen (I am the answer to all questions, I am 42... well, almost).
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Wed May 21, 2014 12:20 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Pass it on to someone who might be a bit more appreciative :).
lame

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
madtheory wrote:
When I was a noob, I just tweaked and tweaked until I got what I wanted. You wouldn´t believe how much I came across that I hadn´t actually been looking for.

Thank God, I didn´t start with a DX-7.

Seriously, that instant gratification thing these days seems to spoil people´s anticipation of how quickly results are to be achieved. "Oh, I can´t get it in five minutes, it´s not worth the bother..." -- hey, keep on trying, use your imagination, learn how to use the tools you have got, learn to work around its limitations. If you really care, that is. And always remember Uncle Eno:

"Limitations force you to be creative."

Creativity is all about imagination.

Get it?

Stephen (I am the answer to all questions, I am 42... well, almost).
really lame.

the guy asked for help/direction.

no need to be smug.

mute

Post by mute » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 am

I'm surprised to see someone said it's an unfriendly synth.. I found it incredibly easy when I first got it many many years ago. I only bought the pg200 years later for well, synth fetish reasons ;p Also, lol @ the DX7 comment...heh, my first "real" synth (not counting a year long borrowed MG-1 or rented stuff) was a DX9 and the internet was 0 help back then. I had to print stuff off microfilms from keyboard mag @ the library. lol. My head still hurts.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 am

Anything is easy after a DX9!

Musicwerks
Gear: MaxiKorg DV800, MiniKorg 700s, MiniKorg 700, Korg Prophecy, Korg M3

Post by Musicwerks » Thu May 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi all,

Yeap I am a noob to vintage synth, probably I should have phrased my question in a more positive way and be more appreciative of the synth.

I was able to tweek and get sounds out of my MiniKorg 700s fairly quickly, sounds that I really like (like the lead sounds Kitaro uses) compared to the Roland JX.

Of course, the technology between the 2 synths is a good 20yrs..so perhaps I don't know how to use a more modern synth. I read that the JX is a treasure trove of sounds later, I just didn't understand how to tap these powerful sounds...so I asked for help to get a sense of what went wrong...my initial guess was the PG200 that was missing equation...just like someone on this forum pointed to me that I need external reverbs and delay to get the Kitaro sounds.

Thanks. I am very humbled by the musicians here in the forum and I am always willing to learn and learn to be positive.

Yeah that's all.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu May 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Musicwerks wrote: [...] I read that the JX is a treasure trove of sounds later, I just didn't understand how to tap these powerful sounds...[...]
That´s fairly easy. You have the parameter list to the right of the unit where you would normally place the programmer. You can edit two separate areas of the unit, A and B (marked by two different colours). Each parameter has a dedicated number -- go into Edit A/B mode, hit the corresponding number in the Preset block, and when moving the Edit slider back and forth, you will see the value represented by a number in the Preset block. Sometimes there are only switching functions which can be a bit puzzling at first as you´d have to press one of the first two or three Preset buttons in order to switch between functions. If you like what you´ve come up with, hit Save Patch and then the memory location you want to use.

Recording sequences is quite as straightforward. Just hit record, play, and you will be able to record polyphonic sequences on the fly. Using the Rest and Tie buttons can be a bit tricky, though.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu May 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Sounds like you need a tutorial in how most subtractive style synths work. Your Korg is like a simpler version of your Roland. Take a look at this, it has good diagrams and pretty good explanations of how it all works together:
http://homepages.warwick.ac.uk/~esaag/analog.htm

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:41 pm

chimney chop wrote: really lame.

no need to be smug.
I don't see you contributing to the thread. I see you complaining about other people's contributions.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu May 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
chimney chop wrote: really lame.

no need to be smug.
I don't see you contributing to the thread. I see you complaining about other people's contributions.
At least he bothered to read my contribution.

Stephen

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 am

Musicwerks wrote:Yeap I am a noob to vintage synth, probably I should have phrased my question in a more positive way and be more appreciative of the synth.

I read that the JX is a treasure trove of sounds later, I just didn't understand how to tap these powerful sounds...so I asked for help to get a sense of what went wrong...my initial guess was the PG200 that was missing equation...

Thanks. I am very humbled by the musicians here in the forum and I am always willing to learn and learn to be positive.
You learn fast. People here at VSE know their stuff and can get pretty defensive over the synths they own and love. Humility, a willingness to learn and a positive attitude are traits that will help you thrive, both here and in the outside world. You're well on your way. Oh, and be grateful you get to learn on a JX3P! It's a really under-rated and great sounding polysynth. I learned a ton about subtractive synthesis on mine and now I'll never get rid of it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri May 23, 2014 8:23 am

Ya it's a really great synth, but you would need to read around about the basics so that the "Edit-Map" makes sense to you. As Roland synths go, it's not as immediate as a Juno 6/60/106, but sonically it's a better synth in many ways. It'll be a long time before you tire of it :)

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Obviously the PG-300 200 just makes editing the JX-3P easier and more "hands on" with regard to editing. That said, from what I've read it is a pretty simple synth.

Manuals exist and while this may sound boring, should be read!!! :lol: A simple read through the manual unlocks a world of sounds!!!

Make sure you know how the synth works and how to edit it without a pg 300 200, try and build some patches. That way you can make an informed decision about whether you think you should drop $++++ on a programmer.
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Fri May 23, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Actually, it´s a PG-200. The PG-300 is the programmer for the alpha Juno (MKS-50?).

Stephen