#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by ninja6485 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:29 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Hi, everyone. I know you'll want to punch me in the face for this, but I gotta say:

There are indeed indicators for quality music. Like everything else in the world, people have tried to find objective measurements for subjective things. Just because they are not 100% accurate at all times due to the way that the human experience is largely a bell-curve, does not mean they do not exist, or that they're not at all accurate.

Many people here look at electronic music as a personal expression, a pastime, an activity, a hobby, etc. But I guarantee to you: If you go to college for music, you will experience a VERY DISTINCT OBJECTIVE MEANS OF QUALITY ASSESSMENT that will undoubtedly really piss you off. But in the academic and historical worlds, and even art world, objective measurement of music exists.

It's easy to sit on the internet and say "all of us think music quality is subjective and wholly opinion!" But you're not in the thick of things. Where quality music matters... in the various industry where money is indeed made from it... quality music matters.

Yes, everyone has a different experience of music, and different people like different things, and sometimes musicians who know nothing about music make music that is as popular as music made by incredibly talented and skilled experts. But to use those things as a justification for the concept that quality of music doesn't matter, or that everyone has a different means of assessing quality, is to ignore the fact that the average of people tend to like what they all agree is "good music." All of you here have bands that you, on average, uniformly agree "are good." It's not just by chance that your tastes align. THERE IS CRITERIA. And that criteria isn't just a consensus of opinion.

For all of you who are so outraged at the concept that commodore is asserting... I would like to encourage you to either go to college, or get a job in the scoring industry. There are some sobering truths headed your way if you do. :)
Hi Mark. :aggressive: Just kidding!

There are indicators of quality music. Quality matters. The criteria for assessing quality varies depending on the audience and the context of reception. There is a plethora of different audience groups and contexts of reception. This is distinctly different from saying that there is no way of assessing quality, or that quality doesn't matter. While there may be something like Wittgenstein's family resemblance going on with the underlying similarities in what constitutes a quality piece of music, some contexts of reception place very little to no importance on criteria that for others is fundamental. Some contexts are also more complicated than piece of music-> listener; involving 'where the music is played,' 'what accompanies the music,' and so on. In order to properly asses a piece, you have to take its intended audience and context of reception into consideration, or otherwise clarify what audience/ context is the horizon for your assessment.

Thus, a number of statements can be said of a given piece without contradiction (examples omitted), none of which entail a relative position, or the sort of quality-nihilism that has come up numerous times in this thread. I hope this clarifies the issue of arriving at musical standards once and for all.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:49 am

BTW, while we're busy here in the thunderdome, wo123 or something is spamming the s**t out of general synths. There's like 5 or 6 new spam threads... They're getting more common lately :?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 30, 2014 5:44 am

ninja6485 wrote:BTW, while we're busy here in the thunderdome, wo123 or something is spamming the s**t out of general synths. There's like 5 or 6 new spam threads... They're getting more common lately :?
Instead of spreading it into here why not just hit the report button? Anyway I deleted them all and IP banned the spammer.

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Fri May 30, 2014 7:04 am

commodorejohn wrote:I'm sorry that you just can't stand me disussing my opinion on the topic of a thread and debating it with people who disagree, but that's, y'know, kind of how forums work.
debate
dɪˈbeɪt/
verb
gerund or present participle: debating

argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.
"MPs debated the issue in the Commons"

proselytize
ˈprɒsɪlɪtʌɪz/
verb

convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another.
"the programme did have a tremendous evangelical effect, proselytizing many"

Hi commodorejohn, guess which definition fits what you're doing? I'll give you a hint: it's not the first one.

Worse than a f**k witness... Atleast you don't knock on my door.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Fri May 30, 2014 10:18 am

Nannerfan wrote:Who here on this forum likes this track?

Show hands.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 am

intrancewetrust wrote:
Nannerfan wrote:Who here on this forum likes this track?

Show hands.
AWESOME!! THE YOUNG ONES!! I used to watch them when I was in High School!
My favorite character was NEIL! HANDS DOWN :D

VEGETABLE RIGHTS AND PEACE!!!

Neil - "Lads! It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Think it's about time we got up. Lucky I didn't sleep through the alarm, or we would've missed half the day!"

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 am

This song is about taking selfies...kinda hard to write a masterpiece with material like that. Vanity and ego, hmmm, of course it's going to be terrible. But as Seventhstar stated, it really captures the mood of dim-witted girls looking for attention however they can get it. They depend on their looks and are obsessed with what others think. It's a song about shallow women, from the perspective of a shallow woman, and that's why it sucks. I don't care what's going on (or not going on) in any bimbo's head. These girls are nice to look at, yes, but that's all. And that's all they're really concerned with anyway so mission accomplished.

This music doesn't really bother me. It's dull, uneventful, repetitive, etc. but it isn't really "bad." What is bad is that so many people in the world are really that ego-centric and countless others are lame enough to rejoice in it. Some of you might have been around for the free-love revolution in the 60's, welcome to the self-love revolution of the 21st century.

I'm sure many of us here have taken one or two selfies in our lifetime for whatever reasons. I'm not saying that taking a selfie is always a pathetic act of an attention-w***e, but that does seem to be the overall theme in the #selfie video. The fact that all kinds of people are depicted taking selfies is a way for The Chainsmokers to cash in on this phenomenon. They're clearly mocking this particular form of ego-stroking though. "Go f**k your #selfie," as printed on their t-shirts is a pretty plain message IMHO.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Fri May 30, 2014 11:06 am

Swayze wrote:But as Seventhstar stated, it really captures the mood of dim-witted girls looking for attention however they can get it. "Go f**k your #selfie," as printed on their t-shirts is a pretty plain message IMHO.
My, someone is up very late, make that two someones lol.

What you stated is exactly why I find this video so entertaining! The mockery aspect of it is funny. And that delightful Selfie Girl, who is so into her little Selfie. If you check out her real Instagram and Twitter pages, it makes the video even more amusing! It is just too awesome, it is almost unbelievable! Young girls today are incredible!

Plumpudding

Post by Plumpudding » Fri May 30, 2014 11:30 am

Swayze wrote:I'm sure many of us here have taken one or two selfies in our lifetime for whatever reasons. I'm not saying that taking a selfie is always a pathetic act of an attention-w***e, but that does seem to be the overall theme in the #selfie video.
To be honest, the only reason an adult should ever have to take a selfie is if they need a picture on their CV, an application or something like that, and don't have anyone else to take it for them. Not that that in itself isn't a kind of attention-whoring, but it's necessary...

Anyway, I haven't heard the track, have no interest in it, but why not let people like whatever they like. As long as I'm not forced to indulge, I'm happy. Let's all be happy, people

Instantinopel

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri May 30, 2014 4:02 pm

I would never hire a person that submitted a selfie for any professional reason. Get someone on the street to take the photo...

That said, I have no problem with the song - the music is plain, but it's the lyrics you're supposed to be paying attention to. Kind of like most rap music...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:BTW, while we're busy here in the thunderdome, wo123 or something is spamming the s**t out of general synths. There's like 5 or 6 new spam threads... They're getting more common lately :?
Instead of spreading it into here why not just hit the report button? Anyway I deleted them all and IP banned the spammer.
:idea: I forgot we had that!

Plumpudding

Post by Plumpudding » Fri May 30, 2014 6:10 pm

synthroom wrote:I would never hire a person that submitted a selfie for any professional reason. Get someone on the street to take the photo...
'Selfie' as in a portait taken by yourself? How would you tell, if it looks good? It's not that hard, with a good camera and a tri-pod.

Instantinopel

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri May 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Plumpudding wrote: How would you tell, if it looks good? It's not that hard, with a good camera and a tri-pod.
The arm leading into the corner of the frame, the too close-up view, the nose distortion from the wide angle lens used in phone cameras... all giveaways that it's a selfie.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Plumpudding

Post by Plumpudding » Fri May 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Yes, I agree, and that's why I never said one should take a self-portrait with a camera-phone. Maybe I'm already getting old... I'm confused, does 'selfie' exclusively mean to take a self-portrait of youself using a camera-phone from a bad angle, pursing your lips? If so, why the h**l would that word be included in a dictionary?

What I meant to say was, the only reason any adult should have to take a bunch of pictures of oneself, would be for a CV, or something like that. Of course one should use a good mirror relfex camera, on a tri-pod with a timed trigger. Sorry for any confusion... :oops:

Instantinopel

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri May 30, 2014 7:08 pm

the only reason any adult should have to take a bunch of pictures of oneself

So we went from making judgements on what kind of music should make and like to when you can take pictures of yourself. Hahha I love VSE.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com