#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Alex E » Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm

SeventhStar wrote:Believe it or not, I just heard this song, for like, the first time this weekend.

Which manufacturer do you think made the synth used for the lead, in #Selfie, by those totally awesome dudes, the Chainsmokers?
I can guarantee you it's a plugin; possibly Sylenth1.

I don't mind the song; in fact I kinda like it. But it's been called "paint by numbers EDM" which is a sentiment I'd have to agree with. :P
soundcloud.com/vectron

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 pm

I have not heard the song. I was about to play the video, but after reading some of the comments posted above, I decided it is probably for the best that I go without hearing it.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue May 20, 2014 4:36 pm

salwa wrote:You mean this kind of music is now aired on a radio? God, I'm so disconnected from reality...

Seconding this. What the h**l, this s**t is worse than happy hardcore. I'd almost rather listen to Scooter than this garbage, but then again I would prefer a root canal without novocaine to either.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:15 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
salwa wrote:You mean this kind of music is now aired on a radio? God, I'm so disconnected from reality...
Seconding this. What the h**l, this s**t is worse than happy hardcore. I'd almost rather listen to Scooter than this garbage, but then again I would prefer a root canal without novocaine to either.
I still have a certain fondness for Scooter. Sure it wasn't deep thinking IDM, but it was catchy all the same. This however has all the hallmarks of a terrible taste sacrificing grab for attention. I hate all this trendy "pop-tronica" s**t nowadays :|

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue May 20, 2014 5:33 pm

I don't think age has anything to do with the our general disdain for this sort of thing.By the time I hit 15 I realized most of the music in constant rotation on the radio was garbage. Recently I was actually kind of shocked when I found out most of my older coworkers still listen to top 40 radio. Most people just don't explore music to the same extent as our small community. I realize I'm kind of being an asshole here, so I'd like to apologize to the OP. Being an elitist prick has no age restrictions.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 pm

To the OP, type in "selfie synth" on youtube.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Tue May 20, 2014 10:28 pm

The idea of there being a new generation's "Jump sound" (where people want to emulate it and play it and compare everything to it) is mildly intriguing, I certainly hope it's not the song linked to in this thread. :ugeek:

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:40 am

intrancewetrust wrote:that has got to be the most horrible song in existence...
True, but it captures the zeitgeist of the 2010s better than...well, just about anything. :lol:

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 am

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 21, 2014 1:12 am

Suggested alternate title: "Sound & Fury Signifying Nothing, or: Way the h**l Too Close to Four Whole Minutes with the Worst People in the World."

Ye gods. It's like the only thing these people know about song structure is "sometimes you can make things build up in intensity and then release it," and they just decided to do that over and over and over. If it weren't for the fact that it was actually released instead of buried shamefully in a shoebox at the back of someone's closet, I'd say it was some kind of deliberate, demented experiment in stripping an already-minimalist genre down to literal pure formula.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:38 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:Recently I was actually kind of shocked when I found out most of my older coworkers still listen to top 40 radio.
When you say "older," what age range are you referring to?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed May 21, 2014 2:12 am

No, Stab Frenzy is right - I'm pretty sure that's Honky Tonk on the polymoog.

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Wed May 21, 2014 2:22 am

im glad i read this thread before listening because it didn't seem as bad as i'd expected. it was more boring than anything.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Wed May 21, 2014 2:46 am

Swayze wrote:To the OP, type in "selfie synth" on youtube.
The Lennar Digital Sylenth1 VA VSTi Synth! Yes, this very well could be "THE #SELFIE SYNTH"!! Or the #Selfie Sylenth1.. You guys on here are awesome!

http://www.lennardigital.com/modules/sylenth1/

The #Selfie-like sound (Gritty Melbourne Throaty Lead) demonstrated by a fellow weirdo (Note the very pleasing to the eye, still "thumbnail" image for the video below):

I think maybe my VA Dark Star could possibly mimic the #Selfie Sound.. Don't know if the CEM3394 "Synth-on-a-chip" in the Multi-Trak could do it.. It may not be technically advanced enough, let alone cool enough.

I am really like'in that #Selfie Girl, with that pale pink lipstick, and minimal eye make-up! She brings out the honey glow in my cheeks! Such a natural and beautiful selfie look. I much prefer that to the look she sported near the end, after adding the heavy eye make-up and red lipstick. Her pal here, looks kinda like a floozy in comparison.

Lennar is where it's at!! Like, why do these guys keep messing around with those dumb Rolands, Korgs, and Arturia? Get real, and get yourself a Sylenth1! And just take a another Selfie already!! God!!

Oh, Yeah! This guy knows how to do it! You don't get to hang out with that kind of quality tang when you play a Multi-Trak or Juno 106.. :cry: