#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Swayze
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:49 am
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08
Location: Carson City, NV

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Swayze » Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Nannerfan wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Mindless songs about mindless activities completely lacking any grandiose pretense are far better than pretentious wankers masquerading behind their banal wheedling and calling it real 'art'. Oh, please define your 'progressiveness', 'pacing', and 'catchiness' while I fall asleep listening to your aural pablum.
:roll:.
I take it this is directed towards commodorejohn?
commodorejohn wrote:"Sure it's s**t, but you don't care that it's s**t when you're drunk off your a*s!" is not exactly a strong argument. And it's not like dance music is just inherently shitty - I don't even care for it that much and I can still point to much, much better stuff than this. Whereas this thing...there's no pacing, there's no progression, there's no melody. It's like a musical homunculus: it has the form of a song, but it doesn't have the essence of one. Or, as Gertrude Stein said of Oakland, "there is no there there."
It appears it was directed at him and the above post from page 3...

"Sure it's s**t, but you don't care that it's s**t when you're drunk off your a*s."

Very true.

"It's like a musical homunculus: it has the form of a song, but it doesn't have the essence of one."

This is a perfect comparison IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with what commodorejohn is saying, maybe it was the way he said it that pissed some people off. But in the end I think he made some very valid points. So did others...so what's the big deal? Isn't that why we're here? To discuss, debate, argue...Isn't the first step in that process to share our opinion? So why get mad at someone for doing that?

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Nannerfan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Because it's easier to be dismissive.

Which today means open-minded I guess.

User avatar
Swayze
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:49 am
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08
Location: Carson City, NV

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Swayze » Sat May 31, 2014 8:58 pm

I understand the need to challenge the opinions of others, keep em honest, play devil's advocate, what have you. But it's important to do this in good spirit so things don't get so damn personal.

VSE can be like a shark tank sometimes...once blood is drawn, the feeding frenzy ensues. When it comes to commodorejohn and this thread, I guess it was just his turn or maybe he had it coming. Maybe it's a form of hazing, VSE style. IDK.

I'll say this about Cjohn. He can't be all that bad because he's taking this abuse like a true gentleman. Props for that.

User avatar
Algorithm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Algorithm » Sat May 31, 2014 10:05 pm

Commodorejohn is unwavering too. His posts are the oregano on the greasy vseforum pizza pie. I commend commodorejohn for his belief and sticking by that. I also commend ninja for taking his approach to be less judgmental. Both of those are great ways to look at it. That is what happens, tastes & life gets more refined with experience.
Is it trash or treasure?

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Nannerfan » Sat May 31, 2014 10:49 pm

I found ninja's comments closes-minded and objectively ignorant.

To assume that, if you don't like the track then dance music just isn't for you? I know that isn't what he meant (I hope not). But he was too concerned with "saying that right thing" ... Why not just be blunt and speak your mind. I feel like a lot of people on forums today sound like they should be running for congress.

HUBA
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 am

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by HUBA » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:11 am

Why don't all of you attacking Commodorejohn just admit that he had it right from the beginning of this thread and all you charlatans have been doing is misinterpreting him to make him repeat himself so you can accuse him for being self-important since you're unable to present any actual arguments? ;)

Why are the moderators repeatedly the ones being agressive and set on making things personal on this board? Someone should try loosen up a litle sometimes. Let's not loose track of the fact that we're discussing pop music here, not politics, piracy, OTB vs ITB or anything serious like that.

Cashing in on super shallow culture isn't good music in any possible case and even those paying for this garbage will probably admit that they don't find this track at all musically interesting and they really don't care about music in the first place anyway. It's more about fashion, irony, image, attitude or whatever non music related stuff.

There aren't enough drugs in this world to make this sound anything like half quality dancy electronic music would do on the worst piece of shitty home stereo, and the writers being ironic doesn't make it sound any better unfortunately. It's a chilling thought that this track will fit in nicely in an ocean of similarly horrible music being plaid at mainstream pop electronica clubs around the world every friday and saturday night and people should be allowed to point that out without being attacked for reminding other people how depressing the mainstream culture has become.

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:50 am

Nannerfan wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Mindless songs about mindless activities completely lacking any grandiose pretense are far better than pretentious wankers masquerading behind their banal wheedling and calling it real 'art'. Oh, please define your 'progressiveness', 'pacing', and 'catchiness' while I fall asleep listening to your aural pablum.
:roll:.
I take it this is directed towards commodorejohn?
Not necessarily, as I'm not ridiculing anybody's music, merely adding some perspective using a previous comment as fodder. You'll meet tons of elitists in art school, 97% of them cranking out their own brand of banal elitist s**t.

My problem with commodorejohn is that I believe he is a myopic loudmouth that chimes in far too often espousing opinion as fact or universal truth. For instance, there are plenty of threads about synths/music/whatever here that I don't care much for, so I typically don't just post in them. I can't even understand the motivation to post sour opinion in such threads, but then again, I don't feel the need to beat people over the skull with my misguided beliefs. People that do s**t like this are obnoxious and typically stifle conversation (or make the conversation about them should somebody question said opinion).

Of course, since we're making this a generational issue, I guess I could just dismiss him and his ilk as a bunch of self-important and ultimately mediocre children, much like he does with anything he doesn't happen to like.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:47 am

Mostly I just think it's kind of hilarious how you seem to think I'm some kind of hate gremlin derailing every single thread about something I don't like to be about how much I hate it, yet you yourself display something like five million times as much vitriol as I ever do when posting about how much you hate that I talk about my opinions on things in threads about those things.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
Algorithm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Algorithm » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:23 am

Earlier I was thinking about how personal experience has so much to do with opinion. I was especially focusing on distaste for something out of association... I have had relationships fail, where I would come to hate something for the sole reason of another person. Or bands I hated because certain people liked them, movies, tv, etc. If it was not for these people, I wonder if I would not have a reason. Maybe there would always be a reason...

Also, maybe commodorejohn was just genuinely concerned for the million that bought it. I have tried to reason with prostitutes, out of my concern. I have also seen 50 year old men realize the truth after 50 years of conditioning, just because someone brought their attention to a detail.
Is it trash or treasure?

User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es
Location: AZ

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:50 am

commodorejohn wrote:Mostly I just think it's kind of hilarious how you seem to think I'm some kind of hate gremlin derailing every single thread about something I don't like to be about how much I hate it, yet you yourself display something like five million times as much vitriol as I ever do when posting about how much you hate that I talk about my opinions on things in threads about those things.
I think what gets under Tallowwater's skin, is that you have a way of stating your opinion, at times, like it is rigid fact, and not just an opinion. Like instead of saying that something is utter s**t or garbage, in your opinion, you can make it sound like you've lowered the Judge's hammer, and anyone who may feel otherwise is an idiotic fool. And that kind of thing, if done repeatedly, can eventually culminate into a hostile response.

No one enjoys being told they are an idiot, or in complete lack of taste, for liking or being entertained by something, even if it is silly and ridiculous. It is not an attitude that harbors popularity among the participants in a thread (unless they happen to share your opinion, perhaps). People have a right to enjoy nonsensical things just as much as they do "fine craftsmanship". This is not the military, where the drill sergeant can dictate what the troops should be listening to.

Algorithm wrote: Also, maybe commodorejohn was just genuinely concerned for the million that bought it.
I kind of doubt that, but I could be wrong..

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers
Location: Exton/ westchester

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Nannerfan wrote:I found ninja's comments closes-minded and objectively ignorant.

To assume that, if you don't like the track then dance music just isn't for you? I know that isn't what he meant (I hope not). But he was too concerned with "saying that right thing" ... Why not just be blunt and speak your mind. I feel like a lot of people on forums today sound like they should be running for congss.
That's a new one.in what ways? And at least you acknowledged that your'e misquoting me...but why still do it? Ask for clarification if you're not clear. My definitive stance on that matter is in my post to AG.

This thread:
Op- How do you make a patch from this song?
A- this song sucks
B-yea, but some people enjoy it, maybe they see something in it that's worth listening to.
A- no, you're wrong, it sucks, admit that it sucks.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:29 pm

A: anything that's worth listening to in the track has been overused hundreds of times in other tracks. And all of those tracks are just ripping off Speedy J's "Pullover".

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:31 pm

So where's the thread where all the open minded people defend Knickleback?

User avatar
Sir Nose
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Real name: Bob
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400
Location: PA

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wankers!









...me too
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Algorithm wrote:Also, maybe commodorejohn was just genuinely concerned for the million that bought it.
Only in a very abstract "what is the world coming to!?" sense.
SeventhStar wrote:I think what gets under Tallowwater's skin, is that you have a way of stating your opinion, at times, like it is rigid fact, and not just an opinion. Like instead of saying that something is utter s**t or garbage, in your opinion, you can make it sound like you've lowered the Judge's hammer, and anyone who may feel otherwise is an idiotic fool.
I really, really don't. I argue from the position that my opinions are correct because if I didn't believe they were, they wouldn't be my opinions - but I've never made any kind of claim to be the ultimate, infallible arbiter of truth. That's just what other people choose to read into it when I say what I think without feeling the need to preface every single statement of my opinion with an explicit "it is my opinion that:" because that should really go without saying.
People have a right to enjoy nonsensical things just as much as they do "fine craftsmanship". This is not the military, where the drill sergeant can dictate what the troops should be listening to.
Again, I never, ever said that. I don't care whether or not people enjoy c**p; I'm just not willing to pretend that it isn't c**p in an attempt to avoid ever possibly maybe theoretically hurting somebody's feelings. I don't get all worked up when tallowwaters refers to the kind of music I like as pretentious, noodly wankery, so I don't see why other people can't suck it up and deal when confronted with a negative opinion about something they like.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Post Reply