#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 21, 2014 3:26 am

...are you putting us on?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 am
Location: USA

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by rschnier » Wed May 21, 2014 3:34 am

I think I'm going to be ill now.
-- R.

User avatar
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:07 am

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed May 21, 2014 7:05 am

Aaron2 wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:Recently I was actually kind of shocked when I found out most of my older coworkers still listen to top 40 radio.
When you say "older," what age range are you referring to?
They're in their forties. Also when I say top 40, I don't mean the stations that play hits from various decades, but the stations which play gangam style and ke$sha.

Also is this s**t from Australia? If so you guys can do better, you gave us foetus, severed heads, and spk after all.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

User avatar
Swayze
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:49 am
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08
Location: Carson City, NV

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Swayze » Wed May 21, 2014 11:20 am

commodorejohn wrote:...are you putting us on?
I would say so. This thread is like the film Inception, but instead of dreams within dreams, it's trolls within trolls.

As far as the #Selfie phenomenon goes, it's simple...poor musicianship and smokin hot babes as shallow as the kiddy pool going for douchebag guys with macbook pros rockin Massive and the "deep throat" waveform.

Oh and seventhstar...I'll take the one on the right if you need a wingman. :drinks:

User avatar
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:08 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by griffin avid » Wed May 21, 2014 12:06 pm

You don't get to hang out with that kind of quality tang when you play a Multi-Trak or Juno 106..

That's the best comment so far. It's as if, every synth you buy subtracts 1 girl from you possibilities list.

And I think this song might be pure genius.
To me, it captures the EXACT spirit of this generation's (more trivial) youth and the music fits her mind state.
What other genre or music style could capture that thought patten so perfectly?

The (cat-loving, knob twisting, electronic sequencer-fetish) music that most here appreciate and gush over would not work in this context.

Maybe, I could see one of those piano and guitar heavy pop songs that ALMOST sounds like EDM (yep, I used that acronym) could fit. In New York, every other station seems to have those type of songs on. It's like poppy American Idol or the voice contestants-type records.....
erm...progressive pop
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:09 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:Also is this s**t from Australia? If so you guys can do better, you gave us foetus, severed heads, and spk after all.
I'm Australian and I've never head of this, but then again I don't listen to commercial radio or go to bad clubs. So much great stuff happening in Australia right now, this isn't even on the radar.

User avatar
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 am

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed May 21, 2014 12:14 pm

It's totally a Stylophone fed through chorus. Awesome stylus chops there, chaps.

User avatar
seamonkey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm
Real name: Rick
Location: Sunny Florida

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by seamonkey » Wed May 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:Also is this s**t from Australia? If so you guys can do better, you gave us foetus, severed heads, and spk after all.
I'm Australian and I've never head of this, but then again I don't listen to commercial radio or go to bad clubs. So much great stuff happening in Australia right now, this isn't even on the radar.
I'm more of a Icehouse fan, but that dates me, really really dates me. lol

Any suggestions as to some of that great stuff we might like Stab?
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

intrancewetrust
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 am
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed May 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Mr Bill is awesome. and does not seem like a douche either...


commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 21, 2014 1:01 pm

griffin avid wrote:And I think this song might be pure genius.
To me, it captures the EXACT spirit of this generation's (more trivial) youth and the music fits her mind state.
What other genre or music style could capture that thought patten so perfectly?
The only reason to capture the spirit of the 2010s is to kill it - and these yuks conspicuously failed to do that.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 21, 2014 1:53 pm

I take this kind of music with a grain of salt. It's not meant for leisurely listening at home by the fire with a glass of cognac dissecting the finer points of the arrangement. It's the kind of s**t you listen to really loud while getting wasted at a club and dancing. Sure it's simple and repetitive, sure the chics talking in it are annoying, but the bass drops on a big system and girlies start losing their minds and grinding about, it's hard not to get into that.

As far as the build-up to drops ratio goes, it's really no different to the hardcore and drum n bass I grew up with, just a different groove. Dance music has been like that for along time, it's not new.

Full disclosure - I wouldn't mind this track without the stupid talking - the bass hook is catchy. I don't generally go to clubs that play this kind of music, but I've even heard drum n bass DJ's drop this and the crowd goes mental.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 21, 2014 2:10 pm

"Sure it's s**t, but you don't care that it's s**t when you're drunk off your a*s!" is not exactly a strong argument. And it's not like dance music is just inherently shitty - I don't even care for it that much and I can still point to much, much better stuff than this. Whereas this thing...there's no pacing, there's no progression, there's no melody. It's like a musical homunculus: it has the form of a song, but it doesn't have the essence of one. Or, as Gertrude Stein said of Oakland, "there is no there there."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 pm

commodorejohn wrote:"Sure it's s**t, but you don't care that it's s**t when you're drunk off your a*s!" is not exactly a strong argument. And it's not like dance music is just inherently shitty - I don't even care for it that much and I can still point to much, much better stuff than this. Whereas this thing...there's no pacing, there's no progression, there's no melody. It's like a musical homunculus: it has the form of a song, but it doesn't have the essence of one. Or, as Gertrude Stein said of Oakland, "there is no there there."
That's not what I said at all. I understand you have trouble acknowledging the fact that other people have a different perspective or opinion than you, but suffice it to say this music is not made for you. You don't strike me as the clubbing-dance music kind of guy, so I can understand why you wouldn't like this kind of thing. This is not for guys wanking to Jordan Rudess videos, this is for 20 somethings drinking redbull and vodka's, dropping MDMA and dancing all night at a club. Again, per my previous post, this is not 'thinking man music', it is 'dance music'. Song structure? Have you ever been to a club? You have the buildup, then the beat/bass kicks in full gear, rhythmic variations, back to buildup, mix into the next track; same could be said for drum n bass, dubstep, trance - dance music in general tends to follow this, because they are DJ'ing and mixing into each track; too much variation and it becomes trickier to transition and keep the dance floor grooving. People go out to hear this kind of music to dance, so if it has a catchy beat and a simple but effective hook, people will be into it. Most people don't go out clubbing to listen to song structure and production techniques.

Your stance would be like me saying 'ugh, this death metal song sucks, it doesn't sound like the things I like, so it must be garbage'. Accept that not all people look for the same qualities in music that you or I might. This music has it's place, and considering how insanely huge this kind of stuff is right now, I would say we are in the minority.

User avatar
seamonkey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm
Real name: Rick
Location: Sunny Florida

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by seamonkey » Wed May 21, 2014 3:30 pm

After years of being on forums, I've come to realize, people will argue about arguing until the cows come home.
Most stuff is personal opinion, personal likes or dislikes.
Yes, if someone provides inaccurate information and it can be proven, then a discussion to set the facts straight is in order.

But, sigh.......
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:That's not what I said at all. I understand you have trouble acknowledging the fact that other people have a different perspective or opinion than you, but suffice it to say this music is not made for you. You don't strike me as the clubbing-dance music kind of guy, so I can understand why you wouldn't like this kind of thing. This is not for guys wanking to Jordan Rudess videos, this is for 20 somethings drinking redbull and vodka's, dropping MDMA and dancing all night at a club. Again, per my previous post, this is not 'thinking man music', it is 'dance music'. Song structure? Have you ever been to a club? You have the buildup, then the beat/bass kicks in full gear, rhythmic variations, back to buildup, mix into the next track; same could be said for drum n bass, dubstep, trance - dance music in general tends to follow this, because they are DJ'ing and mixing into each track; too much variation and it becomes trickier to transition and keep the dance floor grooving. People go out to hear this kind of music to dance, so if it has a catchy beat and a simple but effective hook, people will be into it. Most people don't go out clubbing to listen to song structure and production techniques.

Your stance would be like me saying 'ugh, this death metal song sucks, it doesn't sound like the things I like, so it must be garbage'. Accept that not all people look for the same qualities in music that you or I might. This music has it's place, and considering how insanely huge this kind of stuff is right now, I would say we are in the minority.
You didn't read what I said at all, did you? I very specifically said that there's nothing inherently c**p about dance music. There's plenty of good stuff in dance music, even if it's not my cup of tea. I'm not expecting it to be Yes or ELP - but it doesn't have to be my kind of music to be good. This just isn't good, by the most basic, universal standards for good songwriting. And yes, dance is generally a more minimalist, less elaborately-structured genre - but there's a big difference between a line with gentler, smoother variations and a complete flatline.

And again, what kind of argument is "this is music for people who are too chemically-altered to have any standards!"? That's a h**l of a lot closer to calling dance music stupid and worthless than anything I said. It's like saying that Michael Bay movies aren't c**p because they're not made for anybody who cares about good filmmaking - you're trying to make an argument on the premise that having an argument at all is invalid. That's ridiculous on the face of it. Any kind of art is "thinking man's art" - the fact that a lot of people can't be assed to think does not change that.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Post Reply