#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by zoomtheline » Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I can't believe people are writing more than a few words about this. Accept the shitness and move on.

Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:That's not what I said at all. I understand you have trouble acknowledging the fact that other people have a different perspective or opinion than you, but suffice it to say this music is not made for you. You don't strike me as the clubbing-dance music kind of guy, so I can understand why you wouldn't like this kind of thing. This is not for guys wanking to Jordan Rudess videos, this is for 20 somethings drinking redbull and vodka's, dropping MDMA and dancing all night at a club. Again, per my previous post, this is not 'thinking man music', it is 'dance music'. Song structure? Have you ever been to a club? You have the buildup, then the beat/bass kicks in full gear, rhythmic variations, back to buildup, mix into the next track; same could be said for drum n bass, dubstep, trance - dance music in general tends to follow this, because they are DJ'ing and mixing into each track; too much variation and it becomes trickier to transition and keep the dance floor grooving. People go out to hear this kind of music to dance, so if it has a catchy beat and a simple but effective hook, people will be into it. Most people don't go out clubbing to listen to song structure and production techniques.

Your stance would be like me saying 'ugh, this death metal song sucks, it doesn't sound like the things I like, so it must be garbage'. Accept that not all people look for the same qualities in music that you or I might. This music has it's place, and considering how insanely huge this kind of stuff is right now, I would say we are in the minority.
You didn't read what I said at all, did you? I very specifically said that there's nothing inherently c**p about dance music. There's plenty of good stuff in dance music, even if it's not my cup of tea. I'm not expecting it to be Yes or ELP - but it doesn't have to be my kind of music to be good. This just isn't good, by the most basic, universal standards for good songwriting. And yes, dance is generally a more minimalist, less elaborately-structured genre - but there's a big difference between a line with gentler, smoother variations and a complete flatline.

And again, what kind of argument is "this is music for people who are too chemically-altered to have any standards!"? That's a h**l of a lot closer to calling dance music stupid and worthless than anything I said. It's like saying that Michael Bay movies aren't c**p because they're not made for anybody who cares about good filmmaking - you're trying to make an argument on the premise that having an argument at all is invalid. That's ridiculous on the face of it. Any kind of art is "thinking man's art" - the fact that a lot of people can't be assed to think does not change that.
This is what I get for playing devil's advocate. Again, you think it's bad, but huge amounts of people really dig this stuff, so it's obviously got something going for it or people wouldn't be buying/making it. My comments regarding alcohol and drugs was more to illustrate the types of people digging this kind of music and the environment it is generally enjoyed in, not necessarily making the inference that these are required listening tools. Sure it lacks song structure, but I think that is part of what makes this stuff so approachable for the less distinguishing music listener. It's simple enough and repetitive enough that you hear it once and have it stuck in your head all day. Kind of like a lot of pop music with really repetitive chorus' - they want it simple enough that everybody can sing along and you know the words immediately.

Oh well, I got way too involved in this argument, especially considering I don't like this kind of stuff generally.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Whether we're talking "people don't care about good songwriting because they're stoned out of their minds" or "people don't care about good songwriting because people in this society generally don't develop their critical faculties" is irrelevant - you're still trying to make the argument that people not having standards means that this isn't c**p.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 21, 2014 4:57 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Whether we're talking "people don't care about good songwriting because they're stoned out of their minds" or "people don't care about good songwriting because people in this society generally don't develop their critical faculties" is irrelevant - you're still trying to make the argument that people not having standards means that this isn't c**p.
Instead of paraphrasing what I say to make points that fit with what you are arguing, perhaps read what I am saying and understand it. I am not trying to make any points, I am simply noting that this kind of stuff has a place and it obviously has an audience, using examples. The only thing that is irrelevant here is the fact that somebody outside of that target audience and venue doesn't like it.

User avatar
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:08 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by griffin avid » Wed May 21, 2014 5:02 pm

....you're still trying to make the argument that people not having standards means ....

I think that having a standard for something so basic/primal/tribal is missing the point.
If you are not aware, there are many genres of music that are based on feeling- usually the word that goes here is 'groove' where as it's NOT intellectual music.

Someone called this music 'paint by numbers' which is actually not true. It's the opposite.
Painting by NUMBERS would be that scientific approach that puts academic rules ABOVE ....feeling.
If the song moves you- makes you feel something on a base (no pun intended) level then it's hard to argue that it is not working because it doesn't meet your criteria....

Which is also funny because no one is actually saying anything more than technical analysis.
Song structure....arrangement....all of that....

As opposed to no, I don't like the beat..no, this doesn't want to make me dance...or party...and if this came on WHILE I WAS PARTYING, it would ruin my mood.....and if you say it sounds sort like 10,000 other songs that fit in the same partying context/atmosphere then- you sir would be getting the point or our music-mix culture.

It's not about am album or a single, it's about a playlist.
A DJs or your own.


For better or worse, I will never forget this song. One viewing and I can certainly tell you what it was about and describe it. There are a million songs on soundcloud that have very high standards that...well, you know the rest...

Beyond all this, I don't why we are acting like someone pushed this song towards you as an incredible example of musicianship, creativity, originality and as a technical performance of a complex craft.

Some of you dudes are so damn square, it kills me.

Move along, there's nothing to hear here.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

intrancewetrust
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 am
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed May 21, 2014 5:33 pm

if this tune came on while i was dancing the night away in an MDMA fueled haze i would be pretty pissed off TBH

User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es
Location: AZ

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Wed May 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Swayze wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:...are you putting us on?
As far as the #Selfie phenomenon goes, it's simple...poor musicianship and smokin hot babes as shallow as the kiddy pool going for douchebag guys with macbook pros rockin Massive and the "deep throat" waveform.

Oh and seventhstar...I'll take the one on the right if you need a wingman. :drinks:
Swayze, let’s do it!! :drinks:

I’m up for some Selfie Girl action! We can dance and grind with these chicks, till they’re so worn out, they won’t even have the strength to hold their phone up to take another selfie!

User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es
Location: AZ

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Wed May 21, 2014 6:46 pm

griffin avid wrote: You don't get to hang out with that kind of quality tang when you play a Multi-Trak or Juno 106..

That's the best comment so far. It's as if, every synth you buy subtracts 1 girl from you possibilities list.

And I think this song might be pure genius.
To me, it captures the EXACT spirit of this generation's (more trivial) youth and the music fits her mind state.
What other genre or music style could capture that thought patten so perfectly?
This song is like the Flappy Bird of dance/club music. Simple, ridiculous and mindless. That is what attracts the most attention these days. If you want to get millions of views and/or downloads, this is the type of thing to produce. That is just the way the world is today.. Like it or not.

A marketing company did have a hand in getting #Selfie up in the charts, though. I believe Flappy Bird had some "help" as well, even though the creator denies it.

It looks like my original question has been answered. The Sylenth 1 (or something very similar to it) is probably the #Selfie Synth.

User avatar
Swayze
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:49 am
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08
Location: Carson City, NV

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Swayze » Wed May 21, 2014 8:03 pm

SeventhStar wrote:
Swayze wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:...are you putting us on?
As far as the #Selfie phenomenon goes, it's simple...poor musicianship and smokin hot babes as shallow as the kiddy pool going for douchebag guys with macbook pros rockin Massive and the "deep throat" waveform.

Oh and seventhstar...I'll take the one on the right if you need a wingman. :drinks:
Swayze, let’s do it!! :drinks:

I’m up for some Selfie Girl action! We can dance and grind with these chicks, till they’re so worn out, they won’t even have the strength to hold their phone up to take another selfie!
...or call for help.


:twisted:


:lol:


:?

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 pm

SeventhStar wrote:
griffin avid wrote: You don't get to hang out with that kind of quality tang when you play a Multi-Trak or Juno 106..

That's the best comment so far. It's as if, every synth you buy subtracts 1 girl from you possibilities list.

And I think this song might be pure genius.
To me, it captures the EXACT spirit of this generation's (more trivial) youth and the music fits her mind state.
What other genre or music style could capture that thought patten so perfectly?
This song is like the Flappy Bird of dance/club music. Simple, ridiculous and mindless. That is what attracts the most attention these days. If you want to get millions of views and/or downloads, this is the type of thing to produce. That is just the way the world is today.. Like it or not.

A marketing company did have a hand in getting #Selfie up in the charts, though. I believe Flappy Bird had some "help" as well, even though the creator denies it.

It looks like my original question has been answered. The Sylenth 1 (or something very similar to it) is probably the #Selfie Synth.
You spelt Polymoog wrong.

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 22, 2014 1:55 am

SeventhStar wrote: It looks like my original question has been answered. The Sylenth 1 (or something very similar to it) is probably the #Selfie Synth.
make sense.
I find this song very annoying.
And ever since I first heard the name Sylenth I have been annoyed by that name.
I suppose I suffer from synesthesia, certain words and sounds are almost painful to me.
Or maybe I should be on psych meds. :roll:
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

User avatar
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:07 am

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 am

This song is like the Flappy Bird of dance/club music. Simple, ridiculous and mindless. That is what attracts the most attention these days. If you want to get millions of views and/or downloads, this is the type of thing to produce. That is just the way the world is today.. Like it or not.

A marketing company did have a hand in getting #Selfie up in the charts, though. I believe Flappy Bird had some "help" as well, even though the creator denies it.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

User avatar
Infrasound
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Infrasound » Sat May 24, 2014 6:12 am

Reminds me of this track from a few years back


User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 am

Holy f**k, so much awesome in this thread.

I, for one, am glad commodorejohn has found the musical equivalent to his posts here.

Honestly, this song is far better than any ELO song in existence. Outtroll that, bitches.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Tue May 27, 2014 2:19 am

tallowwaters wrote:I, for one, am glad commodorejohn has found the musical equivalent to his posts here.
I love you too, man :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Post Reply