#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Nannerfan » Tue May 27, 2014 2:20 am

Infinity Curve wrote: I am not trying to make any points,
then delete your account

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:05 am

Nannerfan wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote: I am not trying to make any points,
then delete your account
:roll:

Saying that you can understand why some people might like a thing is not the same as making a case for why someone should like that thing. It's not even necessarily defending a personal interest in it. All I read was an answer to the questions: why would anyone make this? and who would actually enjoy this? Not an argument for the songs legitimacy, or the musical value of the song, or any other bullshit. Just pointing out who the audience is, and what context the song might occur in.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon when a group of people start hating on something, especially something like the video in first post. It's much harder to take step outside of your personal impression, or the group's impression and entertain the idea that the video might actually make sense and be enjoyable in a context, or to an audience alien to those that serve as the foundation for your criticism. If you don't see the value in that, maybe you should delete your own account instead.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:Holy f**k, so much awesome in this thread.
Oh yeah! You and I both know it! 8-)

Nannerfan
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8

Post by Nannerfan » Tue May 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Some ironic use of the word bandwagon there.

Having to "explain" who the audience is for this video is insulting to anyone with a brain or over the age of 5.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Nannerfan wrote:Some ironic use of the word bandwagon there.

Having to "explain" who the audience is for this video is insulting to anyone with a brain or over the age of 5.
Refer to my previous post, to which you seem to have taken offense. I could care less about the video, I was referring more to the song in general.
Infinity Curve wrote:The only thing that is irrelevant here is the fact that somebody outside of that target audience and venue doesn't like it.
As ninja pointed out, I was simply playing devil's advocate to give some perspective as to why this song gained such popularity, despite being pretty silly and generic. It's not like I even like the song.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Nannerfan wrote:Some ironic use of the word bandwagon there.

Why? It obviously needed to be said, so what are you implying? We have a group of people trying to take a song seriously – a song that only makes sense in a DJ set, playing in a place where it's cool to have a little catchy blurb, and then a groove that sits in the background of whatever kiddy bar scene club s**t is going on – as though it's supposed to make sense to older (sometimes) music making synth enthusiasts in a context where it's playing independently in a casual home listening environment, and then holding that against the song. This song is like the music in sesame street, Tella tubbies, or Fraggle rock. It's not meant for you. Could you imagine if the same words were said about a Barney song, as though it were supposed to be as entertaining to you as Bach? You might have some idea who the intended audience is, but some of the dialogue in this thread doesn't take that seriously. If it did, it would do as someone suggested earlier on and just accept the shitty-ness and move on. It's a kid's song: a little novelty and then some background. Who's next on the chopping block, Raffi?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue May 27, 2014 6:37 pm

You know what, though? Lots of the music on Sesame Street is actually decent (or at least it was when I was a kid, no idea if they've kept things up in the new Elmo-centric regime.) Same goes for Fraggle Rock (still one of the best theme tunes of the '80s,) or any other Henson production. That's because they were made by people who actually gave a damn about doing quality work even for a relatively undiscriminating audience, instead of making slapdash bullshit because they know people don't care. That's craftsmanship, and that's what we're talking about, no matter how much you keep insisting that we're just haters hating on anything less elaborate than Gabriel-era Genesis.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue May 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Careful John, your nostalgia is showing.

This Selfie song makes me think of this:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:58 pm

commodorejohn wrote:You know what, though? Lots of the music on Sesame Street is actually decent (or at least it was when I was a kid, no idea if they've kept things up in the new Elmo-centric regime.) Same goes for Fraggle Rock (still one of the best theme tunes of the '80s,) or any other Henson production. That's because they were made by people who actually gave a damn about doing quality work even for a relatively undiscriminating audience, instead of making slapdash bullshit because they know people don't care. That's craftsmanship, and that's what we're talking about, no matter how much you keep insisting that we're just haters hating on anything less elaborate than Gabriel-era Genesis.
Some children's music transcends its audience, and some club music transcends its audience. Some doesn't. What's your point? You think because you like fragle rock that you're not being a d**k about the selfie song? It's not all supposed to transcend its audience, that appeal is accidental. (The example of children's music was just an analogy btw. :thumbright:) As far as craftsmanship is concerned, the selfie song was obviously crafted well enough to be successful in the appropriate context. The song does exactly what it was built to do, and apparently it does it successfully. Whether you acknowledge it or not, it takes a level of care and good craftsmanship to do that.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue May 27, 2014 10:22 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Some children's music transcends its audience, and some club music transcends its audience. Some doesn't. What's your point? You think because you like fragle rock that you're not being a d**k about the selfie song?
No, I think that your argument was fundamentally flawed because you picked something that was crafted with more care than was even necessary for its intended audience and tried to use it as a point in the favor of something that wasn't even good by the standards of its own genre and intended venue. That's nonsense.
It's not all supposed to transcend its audience, that appeal is accidental.
Yes, and my whole point is that the reason it achieves beyond its most basic aspirations is because it was made by people who knew what they were doing and gave a damn even when it wasn't theoretically necessary. As opposed to, you know, the people who made "Selfie."
As far as craftsmanship is concerned, the selfie song was obviously crafted well enough to be successful in the appropriate context. The song does exactly what it was built to do, and apparently it does it successfully. Whether you acknowledge it or not, it takes a level of care and good craftsmanship to do that.
I'm just simply not buying this notion that all a dance song is supposed to do is keep blitzed people busy grinding on each other. That's a low bar if ever there was one - and I have heard plenty of dance music that satisfactorily meets the criteria for being an actual song, so I feel perfectly comfortable holding this thing to at least that minimal standard...which it fails to meet.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 pm

Barney's hit song, "I love you..you love me..." was burned into every parent's brain and it definitely wasn't intended for their listening "pleasure." Is there someone out there that would actually consider that skilled song-writing lol?

In any case, the following Slipknot cover is an absolute gem and I felt compelled to share it with all of you. Enjoy!

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Com-john, I'm comparing you to an adult that's inappropriately criticizing children's music as though it were meant for your own enjoyment. The statement doesn't even need to be supported by an argument. Any example of children's music will do for the analogy, just pick one that's not “crafted with more care than was necessary” whatever that means, and pretend I used that one. As for whether it's good or not, I'm not in a position to properly evaluate it, good could mean any number of things, but seeing as how dj's seem to be picking it up, it must be doing something for some people, now mustn't it?

Prove that the people who made selfie didn't know what they were doing, and didn't care about the song.

Finally, no one is suggesting that all a dance song is supposed to do is keep blitzed people busy grinding on each other. This idea is your own fantasy. If it were true, no “dance” song would be any more popular or more successful than any other. All dance music isn't even the topic of discussion. The opposing view is that selfie (the song) is sought after by people who are looking for entirely different things in a song than you are, and that you are unfairly criticizing the song for not living up to being something it was never intended to be. You are welcomed to have whatever personal standards you like. You're in the green until you attempt to universalize them. I don't like the selfie song either, I can't even finish the video. But I can't watch the barney into either. Or sit through anything by Jean Michel Jarre for that matter. It's all bad music to me, but I understand that my standards are my own, and I give others the benefit of the doubt when I can't see the value in what they enjoy. Besides, I thought this thread was about identifying a synth...

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue May 27, 2014 11:55 pm

My god John, we get it!! You don't like this song!!

It's sold well over a million copies, made top ten on dance music charts around the world, and the guys who made it openly admit they made it more as a joke than anything. It's like a musical meme; the joke is the focus, and the generic modern edm backing music just makes It funnier. It got pushed by a marketing company who saw potential and the video took it viral.

It may not be a great example of original song writing, but apparently people like it. I've never sold 1,000,000 of one of my songs, doubt you have either. Maybe these guys know some craftsmanship we don't?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:16 am

I can see why someone would criticize the artists for not caring about the song if it were common knowledge that the song was done ironically as a joke. So that much is fair... But, then it becomes even more obvious that the things that would appear as poorly done elements in an serious song are doing some important work to further the point of the song. It may even detract from the intended goal of the song to attempt to make it not shitty! :lol:

Nannerfan
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8

Post by Nannerfan » Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 am

ninja6485 wrote:It's not meant for you.
I s**t, breathe and live house and techno.
Don't take the power of that music (or other subcultures) for granted..
They did a lot to battle racism and for gay rights..

Ironically, this track from the past makes Selfie sound like a kids song.

[youtube][/youtube]