#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Post Reply
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 am

Infinity Curve wrote:My god John, we get it!! You don't like this song!!
Well, yes. Obviously. And if you're tired of hearing about exactly why I think it's s**t, you could maybe stop trying to tell me that I only think it's s**t because it's "not for me," so I won't have to keep clarifying exactly how that isn't why I think it's s**t at all.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by tallowwaters » Wed May 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Am I the only in a smoking jacket, sitting cross legged in a leather chair with a pipe and glass of expensive wine listening to Selfie?

John, per chance, do you work in a comic book store? You have the persona down flat.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Do you shop in one? 'Cause ditto.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 28, 2014 8:41 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:My god John, we get it!! You don't like this song!!
Well, yes. Obviously. And if you're tired of hearing about exactly why I think it's s**t, you could maybe stop trying to tell me that I only think it's s**t because it's "not for me," so I won't have to keep clarifying exactly how that isn't why I think it's s**t at all.
Your complete inability to see things from any perspective but your own is staggering. You have a very distinct pattern of posting where your personal opinion is law, it's incredibly infuriating. You think it's s**t; well, it sold over 1,000,000 copies in like a month, so it obviously did something right. Can you even admit that much?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 pm

If I believed that revenue was any reliable indicator of quality, I'd have to believe that Transformers 2 had any kind of merit as a film. No thanks.

And I never said my opinion is law; I'm simply arguing from the way I see things without feeling the need to constantly wax mealy-mouthed about how everything is subjective and everybody's sacred cow is cool, and evidently some people just can't abide that.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Smoking_Gnu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Wed May 28, 2014 10:18 pm

commodorejohn wrote: I'm simply arguing from the way I see things without feeling the need to constantly wax mealy-mouthed about how everything is subjective and everybody's sacred cow is cool, and evidently some people just can't abide that.
Regardless of the topic at hand, CJ hits the nail on the head here. The amount of message boards I've visited where people seem to miss this point is mind-boggling.

User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es
Location: AZ

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 pm

"Some people are just jealous that we take good Selfies, while listening to the throaty leads of good VA Synthies."
Image

"Don't hate me, because I take beautiful Selfies.. Just relax, listen to the beat, dance, smile and take another Selfie! You're bound to get a good one, eventually!"
Image

"If you wanna make your own Selfie Synthie sounds, while you take your awesome Selfies, this Synthie should get you started. It even has virtual wooden side cheeks. When you go to order one, tell 'em the Selfie girl sent ya! And, hey, if you send them a really good Selfie, they might even give you a discount!"
Image

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Seems like it'd be hard to use with all those award stickers covering up the knobs.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers
Location: Exton/ westchester

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by ninja6485 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:06 pm

commodorejohn wrote:If I believed that revenue was any reliable indicator of quality, I'd have to believe that Transformers 2 had any kind of merit as a film. No thanks.

And I never said my opinion is law; I'm simply arguing from the way I see things without feeling the need to constantly wax mealy-mouthed about how everything is subjective and everybody's sacred cow is cool, and evidently some people just can't abide that.
No one is arguing this either. Infinity brought up some good points: playing devil's advocate after some lengthy selfie bashing, and you apparently felt the need to aggressively treat it like an attack on your opinion. That's why you've been reminded that it is just your opinion. We don't give a f**k about your take on selfie.

Besides: if you insist that the song is c**p, and we can argue how the song might not be c**p, even if it's to a 3rd party; that's not arguing for relativity. We're saying you're wrong. We're just trying to respect your opinion while doing it. :idea:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es
Location: AZ

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Wed May 28, 2014 11:09 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Seems like it'd be hard to use with all those award stickers covering up the knobs.
Do you really think those are going to be on the interface when you run the synth on your computer.. :roll:
There is even a demo track of "tubular bells", from "The Exorcist", on their website. Kinda cool. It can do more than just Selfie sounds.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Wed May 28, 2014 11:40 pm

ninja6485 wrote:No one is arguing this either.
Nearly every response to my opinions in this thread has been some form of "well, you just say it's c**p because you're not a fan of EDM/you're not drunk in a club/critical thinking about this kind of music is fundamentally unreasonable/it's not for you!" as if that's some kind of finishing move that somehow invalidates my opinion and validates theirs so-there-times-infinity-plus-one. When I've said multiple times that I don't have anything against dance music, I just think this is a piece of s**t regardless of genre. If you want to counter-argue that no, it actually does have merit in the most basic aspects of competent songwriting, and here's why I'm wrong, well, I'll still think you're wrong, but I'll at least respect you for making an argument instead of just going "nuh uhhh!"
We don't give a f**k about your take on selfie.
Then I'm not sure why you guys keep getting so worked up about it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
Algorithm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Algorithm » Wed May 28, 2014 11:46 pm

Are people really defending this, but saying they dislike it? The proof is in the puddin'... I am with commodore john, this is trash. The only thing the success of this song shows is that selling out and riding/biting trends like a cultural flea pays off... & Who pays? I suppose it is just as bad as most radio entailed stuff since the radio buyout... This is not something I would consider as musical progress. Seems more like devolution. If music is going the MEME direction, that is sad, memes are jokes... I guess its going the MEME way because it takes no talent to make a MEME. Anybody can make a MEME. Art is subjective, and tons of people love what I would consider poor comedy, paintings, films, etc. I dont get how people would defend something they claim to dislike though...
Is it trash or treasure?

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers
Location: Exton/ westchester

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by ninja6485 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:41 am

Damn, got-to snipe. Ok:
Algorithm wrote:Are people really defending this, but saying they dislike it?
+
Algorithm wrote:I dont get how people would defend something they claim to dislike though...
Answers include:
- Playing devil's advocate
-a shift from asking "who the h**l would actually enjoy this s**t?" as a statement of how bad it is to a mode of genuine inquiry.

This kind of thinking is how you overcome prejudice and expand your interests.
Algorithm wrote: This is not something I would consider as musical progress. Seems more like devolution. If music is going the MEME direction, that is sad, memes are jokes... I guess its going the MEME way because it takes no talent to make a MEME. Anybody can make a MEME.
Agreed, and the move away from serious attempts at meaningful artistic contributions toward increasingly unprofessional & ironic contributions has certainly been discussed in other circles as a sort of devolution. At the same time, there's a bit of a punk element to it.
commodorejohn wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:No one is arguing this either.
Nearly every response to my opinions in this thread has been some form of "well, you just say it's c**p because you're not a fan of EDM/you're not drunk in a club/critical thinking about this kind of music is fundamentally unreasonable/it's not for you!" as if that's some kind of finishing move that somehow invalidates my opinion and validates theirs so-there-times-infinity-plus-one. When I've said multiple times that I don't have anything against dance music, I just think this is a piece of s**t regardless of genre. If you want to counter-argue that no, it actually does have merit in the most basic aspects of competent songwriting, and here's why I'm wrong, well, I'll still think you're wrong, but I'll at least respect you for making an argument instead of just going "nuh uhhh!"
We don't give a f**k about your take on selfie.
Then I'm not sure why you guys keep getting so worked up about it.
I'm not sure about your other posts, but I haven't noticed anyone shooting you down for not liking club music in the past. Then again, I'm not really paying attention those things. Keep in mind if you enter into a debate dialogue, any argument against your position is going to attack the position in some way, right? So it's not that your opinion is under attack as being invalid, you're just hearing the case for the other side since you've posited your opinion as a statement in the debate. I'm not sure the "it's not for you" argument got through btw. The argument has nothing to do with your specific opinion. The song's not meant for me either: I was saying the song is meant for little kids! :lol: Well, tweens to college bar-hoppers.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
waveform:blue
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by waveform:blue » Thu May 29, 2014 1:00 am

Aaron2 wrote:
intrancewetrust wrote:that has got to be the most horrible song in existence...
True, but it captures the zeitgeist of the 2010s better than...well, just about anything. :lol:
A² nails it on page 2.

C'mon doods...this vid is a parody. It doesnt celebrate the selfie-nation, it's lampooning it. It's horrible and annoying because it's supposed to be.

And guess what...everyone who contributed selfies to it got played. They may not be in on the joke, yet they are the butt of it.

#selfie is kinda' like "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...just 20 years later.
Last edited by waveform:blue on Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es
Location: AZ

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 29, 2014 1:02 am

ninja6485 wrote:I was saying the song is meant for little kids! :lol: Well, tweens to college bar-hoppers.
I kinda like the Selfie song, and I'm not a kid or even in my 20s.. I find it amusing. And it is fun to dance to it. But, I think I mostly like the Selfie Girl (NY Model, Lindsey Diane), more than the song. If she wasn't in the video, it wouldn't be as interesting to me. The Selfie Girl and her Selfie Girl talk is what made this video so popular. No way it would've had over a hundred million views without her and the dialog.

Post Reply