#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 29, 2014 1:11 am

waveform:blue wrote:
And guess what...everyone who contributed selfies got played. They may not be in on the joke, yet they are the butt of it.
The chief Selfie Girl, Lindsey, has tons of Selfies on her Twitter and Instagram pages. She was posting selfie's on them long before the song and video were ever made. She is a Selfie Girl in real life! So she lampooned herself, and apparently had fun doing it..

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 am

ninja6485 wrote:This kind of thinking is how you overcome prejudice and expand your interests.
Oh the irony.. Not being open to the fratboys and arrogant entitled of the world.. means being closed minded.

I take it you're not a big fan of Robert Crumb.

And I can't believe you called the track "punk" in any slight way.
Have you listened to their music? It's not a parody. It's not Weird Al.

I find you creepy.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 am

Nannerfan wrote:Oh the irony.. Not being open to the fratboys and arrogant entitled of the world.. means being closed minded.
Frattboys? ...Arrogant entitled? Are accusing me of calling someone closed minded? I even talked about overcoming my own prejudice toward the song - playing devil's advocate to expand my own interests... What thread are you reading? :dontknow:

Nannerfan wrote:I take it you're not a big fan of Robert Crumb.
Who?
Nannerfan wrote:And I can't believe you called the track "punk" in any slight way. Have you listened to their music? It's not a parody. It's not Weird Al.
Yup, I referred to the idea that someone could pick up their instruments and make a song, and not have to necessarily know what they're doing, or even take the song seriously as having a bit of a punk element to it.
Nannerfan wrote:I find you creepy.
Would it sway your opinion if I told you I posted that naked? ;) :la:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu May 29, 2014 3:00 am

I think you guys are seriously over looking the value of this song. It used properly it could be very useful indeed. Just make sure that anyone who gives this video a positive review on various websites gives away their geographical location in the process of voting and one of these will conveniently show up to his or her's home.

We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 am

ninja6485 wrote:
Nannerfan wrote:I take it you're not a big fan of Robert Crumb.
Who?
Robert Crumb was a comic book artist and a weirdo.. In particular, I remember seeing some of his "Self-Loathing" series of comics years ago, in which he had the exact opposite mindset of the Selfie Girl. If he took a selfie, and looked at it, he would've said, "Oh my God! Is that really me!? I should just kill myself already.."

SeventhStar

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 29, 2014 5:58 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:I think you guys are seriously over looking the value of this song. It used properly it could be very useful indeed. Just make sure that anyone who gives this video a positive review on various websites gives away their geographical location in the process of voting and one of these will conveniently show up to his or her's home.

I guess millions of those vans would be needed then..

Shouldn't they be "Black Raven" vans though?

Where musicians condemn other musicians to death for inappropriate songwriting, video making and use of a synthesizer.. Note, the Magirus truck image below was never proven to be an actual gas van, but it has always been notoriously depicted as such.

Portion of an article written by LIESE-MARIE HEYNS:

Selfie was chosen by Oxford Dictionary as their 2013 international Word of the Year above the words bitcoin, binge-watch and twerking. Language research conducted by their editors found the frequency of use of the word increased by 17000% from 2012.

The word first appeared in 2002 when it was used in an Australian forum. Judy Pearsall, editorial director for Oxford Dictionary, explained the evolution of the word on their blog: “Social media sites helped to popularise the term, with the tag ‘selfie’ appearing on the photo-sharing website Flickr as early as 2004, but usage wasn’t widespread until around 2012 when selfie was being used commonly in mainstream media sources.”

According to an infographic by TechInfographics.com, people are taking over one million selfies every day and, according to Samsung, selfies make up 30% of the pictures taken by people between the ages 18-24. On Instagram more than 100 million pictures are tagged with #selfie.

“The selfie revolution highlights the global demographic shift underway with 60% of the world’s population now under 35 years old. Young people are discovering their unique identities and expressing it through creative selfie pics on social networks like Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat, Tumblr and Pinterest,” says iHumanMedia.com director James Rickman.

Why is this thread on VSE:

The song made to capitalize on the Selfie trend was led by the sounds of a Virtual Analog Synth (which emulates the general sound construct of vintage analog synthesizers).. The Synthesizer having a significant part, in spreading global awareness of a 21st Century trend, in human behavior, made possible by computer, camera and cell phone technology.

Algorithm

Post by Algorithm » Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 am

I should have read further back to notice the approach... still though, why kid ourselves, regardless of understanding? Even if this dude did cash out... & why target commodorejohn?

I suppose I hate this song because it shows what kind of future it is... Plastic suggestible females... F***ing cell phone technology... emulated buttons... digital cameras... & who has a choice when the analogue towers got taken down? Wheres our f***ing jetsons cars?
Now I will go back to watching Threes Company reruns. Admiring how things from the past were of superior quality.
Is it trash or treasure?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Vintage selfies from the 90ies are so much warmer and more analog

Relatedly, this thread also reminds me a bit of this:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Algorithm wrote:I suppose I hate this song because it shows what kind of future it is... Plastic suggestible females... F***ing cell phone technology... emulated buttons... digital cameras... & who has a choice when the analogue towers got taken down? Wheres our f***ing jetsons cars?
It's okay, the system will collapse and burn eventually, and then everything will have to be reassessed in the fallout.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 pm

2500 years ago Socrates wrote:Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.
Are we doomed yet?

Algorithm

Post by Algorithm » Thu May 29, 2014 12:49 pm

... Is that a jetsons car selfie from the past?!

oh, that song inspired negativity, but these posts are bringing much joy.
thank you all. :clap:
Is it trash or treasure?

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Having trawled through 7 pages, I feel that I have to say that I totally get this song and what Chainsmokers were hoping to achieve... and damn, they did it good :o

There have, and always will be, inane maddening songs that certain people of a certain generation will immediately associate themselves with, the sad fact is that they don't understand the irony of it all. Chainsmokers knew exactly what they were doing when they produced this and who to aim it at.

I spent 6 years in the 90's writing and producing/remixing the most dreadful Euro Hi-NRG stuff for various labels. I did it because it was a no brainer (easy, very easy to do) and it put money in my pocket. Yes, I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself when I think about it now but at the time, the joy of knocking The Pet Shop Boys off the top of the DMC chart was an achievement (of sorts ;) )

All I can add is, If you think #selfie is c**p, remember this little ditty from '92:

I rest my case.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu May 29, 2014 5:37 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Do you shop in one? 'Cause ditto.
So, me = discriminating consumer just trying to enjoy myself while the blowhard behind the counter extols the virtues of minutia x over minutia y, therefore ruining the experience for everyone within ear shot? That was the analogy I was trying to make, so congrats in that regard...

You're obviously an intelligent guy, but for Christ's sake, lighten the f**k up. We're all tired of reading your embittered treatises (read that as impotent bitching and moaning) against all things contemporary and outside your very narrow circumscription of 'good'. That also doesn't apply to just this thread.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 pm

I'm sorry that you just can't stand me disussing my opinion on the topic of a thread and debating it with people who disagree, but that's, y'know, kind of how forums work.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Thu May 29, 2014 7:28 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I'm sorry that you just can't stand me disussing my opinion on the topic of a thread and debating it with people who disagree, but that's, y'know, kind of how forums work.
So forums work by one member participating in a thread extolling their opinion, over and over and over on a topic they don't like and have no interest in? It's not like it is analog versus digital or something where you actually may have a positive opinion on one side.

You don't like this song and some people obviously do. Accept it? Forget the craftsmanship (or lack of) of the song writing. It's not for you and when it comes down to it, it is your inability to understand that some people like it, regardless of song structure or melody. You don't like it, you argue about why it is terrible but that is only ever your opinion; you cant fix it. I suppose I am asking why you continue with your relentless attack on it. It is done; it is out there.