Limited Edition Aluminium Voyager - 100 Worldwide

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Limited Edition Aluminium Voyager - 100 Worldwide

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 24, 2014 3:03 am

bochelli wrote:Looks as mess a Memorymoog blows that one away, what next a seethrough one who cares.
Good to see you here in this thread, how are your imaginary Memorymoogs that you never switch on? :lol:
calaverasgrande wrote:I do have to add that "reissuing the same goddamn synth over and over" is exactly what a lot of us wish some of the other companies were doing. How many threads begging Roland to reissue the 303 or 909?
This is so spot on it's not even funny. :D

That's the two most common complaints on this forum

"Roland keep coming out with new things I don't want, I wish they would just reissue their old stuff"

"Moog keep reissuing their old stuff that I don't want, I wish they would come out with something new"

Perhaps it's just that people on VSE like complaining more than they like playing with synths?

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat May 24, 2014 4:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: That's the two most common complaints on this forum

"Roland keep coming out with new things I don't want, I wish they would just reissue their old stuff"

"Moog keep reissuing their old stuff that I don't want, I wish they would come out with something new"

Perhaps it's just that people on VSE like complaining more than they like playing with synths?
Isn't there a difference here though? Re-releasing yet another version of the Voyager is different than reissuing something there's a lot of demand for. Releasing a new version of a product that's already seen several different iterations and limited editions vs. reissuing something sought after that's not widely available (or at least perceived as such). Plus, there are plenty of people annoyed at Moog who would love a reissue/rehash of a Polymoog or Memorymoog. The only thing Moog has "reissued" is an update on the Mini, and I suppose that mammoth modular system.

I think people are complaining/yawning about the number of gratuitous limited editions of the Voyager that have been released. They wish Moog would move on to develop something new or revisit a different classic.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 24, 2014 5:02 am

Walter Ego wrote:They wish Moog would move on to develop something new or revisit a different classic.
If I'm not mistaken in the last couple of years Moog have come out with two new synths (Sub Phatty, Sub 37) and five new pedals. On top of the custom Voyagers they've also been doing. But yeah I get it, a different something new, like a drum machine. Cause Moog made some classic drum machines in the past and they should do it again.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat May 24, 2014 7:35 am

Spot on Stab :) As my 88 year old mother in law says "They'd rather have the grievance". Wise woman.

Anyone know who did the music for the video?!?

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 am

If anyone asked me how many versions there are of the Voyager I don't know off hand I think its a close to 10, I see nothing groundbreaking coming from this company other than 3 types of pitch mod wheels the Minimoog remained the same after over 10 years production run like most new synths in time forgotten because new ones fill the shelves.
yamoto773

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 am

its just marketing. Musicman does precisely the same thing with their instruments. They come out with a limited edition series every year, with a different finish and or material than stock.
In terms of actual sales I do not think it is carrying the company or even the quarter. But in their case, and probably a lot of other MI companies, it's just marketing. It generates hype.
Dorks like me will lust over it and settle for a version in a similar model.
It is really not too shocking after they did the all white series. And they have done black/white Foogers for some retailer, Crazy Daves maybe?
Just be thankful they don't do Dew Tour style marketing.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat May 24, 2014 9:20 am

meh.
Last edited by madtheory on Sat May 24, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 am

This new look reminds me of The Source, but no wood grain!? Meh. I keep waiting to see a style that speaks to me, but so far, the plain old original Voyager I once had was my favorite. It didn't even light up.

I wonder if there's some tool out there who has collected every variation of Voyager just for the h**l of it. One for every day of the week. 8-) Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing them all in one place making music together. The Moog Voyager Choir. Anybody wanna make that happen?

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Sun May 25, 2014 3:43 am

What's the knob on the right of the keybed for?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun May 25, 2014 6:35 am

I believe it's a dimmer for the panel backlight.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun May 25, 2014 7:51 am

Maybe people don't want a re-release of a 808, 909, 303, JP6 or JP8, because of what they are, but because their eBay prices sky-rocketed towards regions where practically no one would buy one.

Same could be said about all these new Moog models. Though these Moogs have been recreations of old Moogs, way older than Roland synths. From a time when synths weren't mainstream and synths were kept simple to make them understandable. I think it's fair to say that times have changed, and I expect Moog fans (with a new re-release) would be happier with a couple o' more synthesis functions.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sun May 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Just a quick note...the aluminum case is lighter than the wooden one.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 pm

And also requires a different type of polish.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon May 26, 2014 2:35 am

Cumulus wrote:Just a quick note...the aluminum case is lighter than the wooden one.
is it hollow?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 26, 2014 2:47 am

I want a limited edition Voyager where every knob is a 3D molded Marc Doty face.

It should also come with a tutorial DVD narrated by Marc Doty and a wizard cape. Make it happen, Moog. I know you're watching this forum.

And a super limited edition that includes a glass box with tufts of Rick Wakeman's hair, backlit by an LED, molded into the front panel.