What do you want from Moog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What do you want from Moog?

1) The exact tone from a previous product in a modern shell and competitive pricing for today.
10
14%
2) A BETTER version of a previous release with more modern options like USB/VST.
2
3%
3) A Moogy product with a different form - Thinner Rack Unit or 61 note keyboard
1
1%
4) A Poly synth- 4 and 8 voices and a limited edition 16 voices.
16
22%
5) RISK: A synth with a brand new tone that does NOT sound similar to anything they have made.
10
14%
6) RISK: A new product like a string synth or filter box.
5
7%
7) A workstation that's part synth, string synth, part theremin and has digital effects.
3
4%
8) Elements from their current (and some past) technology in modular format.
4
5%
9) Something affordable. Single voice, small and um...yeah...affordable.
4
5%
10) Follow KORG and clone a classic piece.
13
18%
11) A total stretch: A drum machine, a sampler- anything that Amos would be involved in.
6
8%
 
Total votes: 74

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Bitexion » Sun May 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:An extremely limited edition voyager covered with pictures of Marc Doty's face.
How about a ltd edition Voyager that has 3D molds of Marc Doty's face as EVERY knob?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1562
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by commodorejohn » Sun May 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Give me an actual Minimoog - no frills, no changes, I don't even care if it has MIDI or not - and give it to me at something other than boutique prices. That's really all I want.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
moremagic
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 am
Real name: A.M.
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99
Location: nc

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by moremagic » Sun May 25, 2014 9:48 pm

a stereo filter and or an hpf would be right up my alley
or a reissue of the bode freq shifter

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Real name: Douglas
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by phesago » Mon May 26, 2014 3:55 am

GuyaGuy wrote:All of the above so you guys stop complaining about it.

:mock:
No. God f**k dammit. Where the s**t is my analog harmonica from moog.

bluntedcircuit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:34 am
Real name: diaz
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton
Location: chicago
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by bluntedcircuit » Mon May 26, 2014 4:03 am

I'm not particularly a fan of moog - the price of their products is prohibitive and while their synths sound great there's plenty of other choices that suit my tastes and it's pretty hard to get around that. I like how the sub37 looks but while I can afford it, I'm not enticed. Maybe something hybrid like an animoog with an analog multi mode filter for around a grand.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Real name: Douglas
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by phesago » Mon May 26, 2014 4:17 am

bluntedcircuit wrote:I'm not particularly a fan of moog - the price of their products is prohibitive and while their synths sound great there's plenty of other choices that suit my tastes and it's pretty hard to get around that. I like how the sub37 looks but while I can afford it, I'm not enticed. Maybe something hybrid like an animoog with an analog multi mode filter for around a grand.
yeah price sucks if you buy new. Buying new is kind of lame anyway. "ageoldtopic"


Lrn2shop

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon May 26, 2014 5:45 am

moremagic wrote:a stereo filter and or an hpf would be right up my alley
or a reissue of the bode freq shifter
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 60#p726590

:whistle:

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon May 26, 2014 5:47 am

phesago wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:All of the above so you guys stop complaining about it.

:mock:
No. God f**k dammit. Where the s**t is my analog harmonica from moog.
I think they're working on the MIDI sync.

Aaron2
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 am
Real name: Aaron
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Aaron2 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:12 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:A Memory Moog-like analogue polysynth, with improved oscillators, better build quality, and stability.
Exactly this. I'd like to see Moog use its massive knowledge base to build a poly for the 21st century. Think Moog sound, but with the build quality and innovation of Elektron.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by monolith » Mon May 26, 2014 7:18 am

Bitexion wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:An extremely limited edition voyager covered with pictures of Marc Doty's face.
How about a ltd edition Voyager that has 3D molds of Marc Doty's face as EVERY knob?
Yo dawg I heard you like knobs, so.....

:lol:

Sensory
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:31 am

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Sensory » Mon May 26, 2014 11:46 am

I'd love to see Moog try an 8 voice using DCO's with independent drift/stability adjustments.
For the filter section a Memorymoog style set up with adsr allocation per voice, and a faithful analogue recreation of the four pole on the Mini.
I think a setup like this could keep the price reasonable and offer a platform for a ton of flexibility.

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon May 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:An extremely limited edition voyager covered with pictures of Marc Doty's face.
Blasphemy! :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon May 26, 2014 6:53 pm

I would like:

An Animoog keyboard. A physical device with a long iPad-like keyboard-shaped glass panel. I would snap that up in a second.

Or, a return to the sound and design that made the Moog name famous.
Products made for musicians that are well-built, meticulously designed, and possessed of unmatched aural beauty.
(which is to say, pretty much the opposite of MIDI/USB/digital-interface-between-the-knobs-and-circuits/IC-laden/low-build-quality/aimed-at-the-largest-market/increasingly-EDM-focused stuff that's increasingly happening now)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
Poptones
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6
Location: Dortmund, Germany

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Poptones » Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Or, a return to the sound and design that made the Moog name famous.
Products made for musicians that are well-built, meticulously designed, and possessed of unmatched aural beauty.
(which is to say, pretty much the opposite of MIDI/USB/digital-interface-between-the-knobs-and-circuits/IC-laden/low-build-quality/aimed-at-the-largest-market/increasingly-EDM-focused stuff that's increasingly happening now)
Why are you of the opinion that current Moog synths aren't well-built?

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: What do you want from Moog?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon May 26, 2014 10:31 pm

Poptones wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Or, a return to the sound and design that made the Moog name famous.
Products made for musicians that are well-built, meticulously designed, and possessed of unmatched aural beauty.
(which is to say, pretty much the opposite of MIDI/USB/digital-interface-between-the-knobs-and-circuits/IC-laden/low-build-quality/aimed-at-the-largest-market/increasingly-EDM-focused stuff that's increasingly happening now)
Why are you of the opinion that current Moog synths aren't well-built?
Unfortunately, it isn't my opinion.
How much MIDI/CV work have you done with your Minitaur?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Post Reply