Dave Smith and Roger Linn on Hardware vs Software

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Re: Dave Smith and Roger Linn on Hardware vs Software

Post by SeventhStar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:23 am

Holy s**t! You guys need to relax and take a chill pill!

Some of these threads turn in to martial art tournaments quickly..

I think hardware versus software synths, just boil down to personal preference. I thought it was interesting to hear the opinions of a couple of the early pioneers in the industry. Sure they promote their own products. But that alone doesn't automatically make all their viewpoints complete hogwash.

I started out with software and have recently shifted to hardware. I have not totally abandoned software synths, though. I feel both hardware and software synths have their pluses and minuses. That is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:29 am

SeventhStar wrote:I feel both hardware and software synths have their pluses and minuses.
Definitely. Problem is that the hardware folks come up with complete hogwash minuses for software, bending reality.

If people want minuses for software, read on:
- you need (these days) a fairly decent PC (i5, i7, multi-multiple GB RAM, SSD drives..)
- you need a DAW
- you need to get comfortable with a mouse, or invest in a decent controller
- there is a minor risk of a crash during your work; so low it can be neglected though, but not zero
- you may not want to bring the whole PC to a live gig
- digital systems have aliasing, extremely small these days, insignificant I'd say, but not zero
- in a DAW the required screen space grows like weed, you're likely to invest in two 22/24/27 inch screens
- you may want an audio interface
- some manufacturers go bankrupt, if you need them to reinstall (license) your DAW or softsynth, you're done for
- often problems sit between the screen and chair, if that's you, you're not likely to appreciate software

Now, if people would come up with these, it'd be fair enough. Though I could counter some of them, these are at least realistic issues with software.

But come on, gobbledegook about musicality, soul, operating, sound etc. that's just pointless. It goes against everything I do here.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:Do you know how Stuka dive-bombers made that howling sound? That's right, Reason.

:lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Am I dreaming, or are people really accusing Dave Smith of not knowing about software?

Ha ha ha ha, wow. Okay.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:09 pm

^ If anyone bothered to watch the EMU history video posted a while ago, they'd know that Dave Smith was a digital circuit designer, and actually didn't know much at all about analog circuitry. He was building digital sequencers. He also created and pushed forward the entire idea of softsynth VSTs.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:50 am

What Jabberwalky said.

You have Dave Smith to thank if you're using a softsynth with MIDI. I'm sorry for the discomfort that should cause you after what you may have said. :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:What Jabberwalky said.

You have Dave Smith to thank if you're using a softsynth with MIDI. I'm sorry for the discomfort that should cause you after what you may have said. :D
You probably have him to thank for the software that's probably in your hardware.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:46 am

that sounds dirty.."Id put my hardware into your software anytime *wink*"

Hallu

Post by Hallu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Am I dreaming, or are people really accusing Dave Smith of not knowing about software?

Ha ha ha ha, wow. Okay.
In the arguments they presented, yes. They don't really present modern DAW/VST integration in a realistic light. As people have mentioned, it seemed like a hard sell for the gear he sells rather than anything else. This video does not represent Dave Smith as much as this video represents Dave Smith Instruments, so why invest much thought in it?

Now I have this mental picture of Dave Smith burning large piles of money he made off the Prophet 12 while making beats on an Amiga/OctaMED setup and laughing 8-)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:50 pm

The debate will and never SHOULD end because there are 10 (my arbitrary number for the day) reasons hardware users want/lean towards/love/swear by their HARDWARE. Those pluses are totally valid and cannot be argued against. There are also 10 for SOFTWARE.

The problem comes in when it's time to argue AGAINST the opposite system.
The same small problem or no problem at all or I have never experienced this is totally magnified and misrepresented as a CONSTANT OCCURRENCE or FEATURE of the chosen system.

When it's time to reach for game-ending bombs, it's time to go into the story box.
I had THIS MUCH TROUBLE and it cost me THIS MUCH FRUSTRATION and that's why I'm right in my beliefs and feelings that you must now accept as fact.

-----------------------------------------
At the end of it all, two software guys could have sat down in those chairs and had the same conversation about the same exact things as a positive nod to software. That said, I still find the debates enjoyable and a fun read. It's a topic that just never seems to get tired. As hardware and software and computers grow and evolve, it's gets more and more interesting as the core ideas are the same, but the pieces and specs update.

I was there for the MPC + a workstation ROMpler versus PC+ VSTs
now it's DAW + Synths versus DAW + VSTs
Live versus laptop
Instruments versus Tools
I love it
Last edited by griffin avid on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I'd love it more if it was "versus."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Awww that means you loves me Griffin Avid post. Thanks.
Corrected, kind sir.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com