VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

PICK YOUR FAVORITE SONG

Poll ended at Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Aquadance
3%
Seoul Drain
No votes
Dirty Disco
13%
Granny gets lucky
No votes
Automobile
10%
Never let the boogie stop
17%
DXsco
23%
Cyberfish
3%
Ponytail
No votes
Disco Demolition
20%
Gummy
3%
Silver Facet
7%

Total votes: 30

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:40 pm

So we had a total of 13 entries but the poll option only allows 12, so my submission is not included in the poll. If for some odd reason you want to vote for my track, Ugggh, it's too nice outside just post in the thread saying so.

Really great entries on this competition and it was great to have so many people involved. The poll will run for the next 7 days, and once we have a winner, they get to decide the format and guidelines for the next competition should they so choose.

For those haven't realized, each track name shown in the poll is actually a link to that song so just click the name and it will take you to the song. Same goes for the title of my track in this post
Last edited by Infinity Curve on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Re: VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Post by adamstan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:55 pm

I voted "Dirty Disco", but it was really difficult to pick ONE favourite. If I could pick more, I'd also vote "Gummy" and "Silver Facet".
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:25 pm

I also voted for Dirty Disco, love that guitar!

It was a tough choice though, my second choice would have been Silver Facet, amazing composition and progression, but the mix was a bit light and sounded kind of dry, although the quality of the arrangement more than made up for it; really nailed the vintage disco vibe.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:11 pm

My vote went for DXsco (lovely "MC-square to the limits" :mrgreen: ).
The runners-up would be Ugggh, it's too nice outside and Silver Facet.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:29 pm

My faves were Automobile and Dirty Disco.
Not terribly disco sounding, but then I have a hard time imagining Danny Terrio shaking it to any of these.
But they are all great!

Now I need to go wash my mind out for imagining Danny Terrio.
Or maybe just imagine Danny Trejo instead.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:42 pm

Great work everybody. Really enjoyed all the tracks.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:00 pm

I voted for Silver Facet. Don't know who wrote it, but I loved how it was arranged. It had a really natural progression and great melodies. Really dug the drum rolls and the breakdown at 2:25 sounded just like Fishbone! That took some guts and I thought it segued perfectly into the last groove. It all came together nicely in the end. The recording quality could have been better but you wrote a great song that had direction so you get my vote!

:thumbsup:

Edit: In case that came off wrong at the end, I just wanted to add that the other songs also had direction and I really enjoyed certain aspects of each. DXsco had this great M.J. vibe goin on and those square wave solos slayed it. Gummy had great sounding res bass sounds, Cyberfish had awesome arpeggios...that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Everybody did excellent work though. Like I said before, the variety is pretty astounding. It was hard to pick just one.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I wish I had more time to spend on mine. I never got to do guitar or any actual melody part really. I had also planned to do War style 'horns' with some harmonica.
I might still get around to it just for posterity sake. If corporate will stop making changes in the build out plans.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

_dan

Post by _dan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:25 pm

This was an impossible decision, and I did not hear a track that I didn't like. The tracks that were more aligned with my tastes: The guitar in Dirty Disco was great, the hook in siver facet was stuck in my head for days, never let the boogie stop was really fun (and my girl friends vote if she had an account on VSE). I'm not a pro with the genre, so I don't know which track was the most disco like. I voted for Disco Demolition, it was a solid groove, and the arrangement reminded me of Zappas Hot Rats album with elements of disco and hip hop (i don't know if hip hop is what the kids are calling it these days :P ).

_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 am

Silver Facet was my song. Thank you, Swayze for the vote, and thanks to everyone else who enjoyed it.

The mix has always been one of my weak points. Quite often I find that if I mess with the mix too much, I just make things worse, so unless I have something specific in mind, I tend to leave the mix dry with the intention that some day I'll know what I'm doing enough to go back into the project and fix it up. :mrgreen:

I had a hard time deciding, but in the end, I had to go with (Never Let the) Boogie Stop. That song has been stuck in my head for a couple of days now and it's a fun track. Runners up: Aquadance and Automobile. But I seriously liked ALL of them. Great job, everyone. Any thoughts on putting an album together of the competition? I'd but it.
You can't synthesize love

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 am

Aquadance all day for me. If that was just mixed a little better (ie. bring up the bass!) it would stand out a lot!

Great job to all, this was a great comp. I wish I had more time lately, but I hope to join in the next one.

Dirty Disco was a classic, and really well done.

Muniq Automobile was a great track too, and a cool post punk kinda take on it.

Uggh It's nice outside had the best drums and mixing IMO, and maybe just needed something more hooky.

Cyberfish was also really cool, and had the best atmosphere, but didn't strike me as disco. Great track regardless of genre classifications.

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 am

My take...

AQUADANCE - An upbeat tune that's a little trancy and quite dancy. Minimal techno that reminds me of Homework-era Draft Punk.

SEOUL DRAIN - AQUA's deeply disturbed cousin. More trance here, yet no Disco at all. Really good use of audio clips.

DIRTY DISCO - WOW...this one's a fun listen. Starts off slow then takes off. Just when you think it's gonna go off the rails, it slows down...then hits the throttle again. Awesome interplay among the bass, lead synth, and guitar.

GRANNY GETS LUCKY - 80s Disco with a dash of Rave with a Jungle rhythm. Really nice warbly vox starts about halfway through. Cool ending too.

AUTOMOBILE - Beat box drums drive this powerful New Wave tune. If DEVO and Kraftwerk had a love child, the result would sound like this - not a bad thing.

NEVER LET THE BOOGIE STOP - Vocals...yippeee! This one could play on the radio. Seriously...it's that good. Do I hear a Duran Duran influence ?

DXSCO - Niiice DX7 brass solo - serious chops there. Sounds like 90s cool jazz.

CYBERFISH - Mmmm...Chillout. Good choice of sounds. It feels like I've heard this somewhere before.

UGGGH, IT'S TOO NICE OUTSIDE - A little faster chillout. The subdued quirky needly lead really makes this song.

PONYTAIL - Lo-Fi techno performed on a single synth. Glitch sounds and a bouncy-bass make room for a Japanese lead halfway through. This one's the quietest of the bunch.

DISCO DEMOLITION - BEE GEES style guitar at the beginning had me waiting for a Barry Gibb falsetto. However, the song instead falls into a Melody AM vibe. I wish this choon went on longer.

GUMMY - Trip-Hop, anyone? Mesmerizing lead and rhythm go down easy. I love the interplay between the plucky-filtered and reso-synth leads.

SILVER FACET - Trip-Hop, Disco, and 90's Jazz have a menage-a-trois. It sounds a bit like early VHS vs. BETA. This song throws everything at you, and does it well. The grunty-grunt bass line and slightly-distorted lead are the balls. Every single facet just fits. SILVER FACET gets my vote 8-)

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:17 am

waveform:blue wrote:DXSCO - Niiice DX7 brass solo - serious chops there. Sounds like 90s cool jazz.
Thanks :-) Actually, the lead sound used for solo was one of the few things that weren't coming from DX ;-) It was played on Tyros :D, which also provided acoustic brass section. Bass was made on MinimogueVA and rest of poly sounds was DX7. So I thought that "DXsco" name still would apply ;-)
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:39 am

I voted for Disco Demolition. Not winning any arrangement contests with this one but the sounds and mix are good a lot of good subtle stuff going on in there. Surprised that is was so short but who knows maybe it's just short enough that you don't get sick of it. I'd be curious if those sounds all came from synths or if anything was sampled and looped?

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:56 am

despite the individual links in the poll, the main page should be in the first post ... https://soundcloud.com/vse-disco-comp

voted for disco demolition, though it it seems to lack some mid-range..regardless a really nice track, at times it actually reminded me of that first MGMT record.