VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

PICK YOUR FAVORITE SONG

Poll ended at Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Aquadance
3%
Seoul Drain
No votes
Dirty Disco
13%
Granny gets lucky
No votes
Automobile
10%
Never let the boogie stop
17%
DXsco
23%
Cyberfish
3%
Ponytail
No votes
Disco Demolition
20%
Gummy
3%
Silver Facet
7%

Total votes: 30

HH

Re: VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Post by HH » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Aquadance guy :)
jabber and others - thanks!
yeah, didnt have much time to master it :(

my vote for cyberfish, love the overall theme! and all the other ones are really great! hard to pick just one

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
Uggh It's nice outside had the best drums and mixing IMO, and maybe just needed something more hooky.
Sadly the hook was in the half of the song that I cut last minute when I was mixing the track. The track was actually almost 5mins long with no repeated parts, but the whole second half changed key and completely lost the disco feel of the first half so I cut it, and by that point I didn't have time to come up with anything to replace it with. Sucks too, it sounded really good, just didn't fit the theme. Wish I had realized sooner, once I was mixing it down and working the transitions it just didn't flow right. Will probably just turn the part I cut into it's own song.

I'm really interested to hear what was used on Silver Facet. Also, did you play everything live? It definitely doesn't sound sequenced, aside from the drums.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm

ejlif wrote:I voted for Disco Demolition. Not winning any arrangement contests with this one but the sounds and mix are good a lot of good subtle stuff going on in there. Surprised that is was so short but who knows maybe it's just short enough that you don't get sick of it. I'd be curious if those sounds all came from synths or if anything was sampled and looped?
Thanks man. It's a sample based tune (guitar part is a rearranged loop from a record iirc). The groove in the b section is a loop as well. I filtered the low end of the sample for the bassline, and the drums were programmed w maschine. There are a few synth sounds in there but that's pretty much it it's a simple track.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I voted for Disco Demolition, did a good job sounding like it was from the 70's...

Also liked Gummy bear, Ponytail, Silver Facet and Cyberfish...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:32 pm

waveform:blue wrote:My take...
SEOUL DRAIN - AQUA's deeply disturbed cousin. More trance here, yet no Disco at all. Really good use of audio clips.
Weird, I don't even know what trance is?
This is just an unfinished song, also unedited.
Normally I start at about 10-15 minutes of nonsense, then I edit it down to 6 or 7 minutes to straighten out the structure and do some more tracking. Finally I throw in some vocals.
That is why my track sounds kind of hollow. I was leaving space for guitar and another synth line to carry more of a melody.
As far as the samples, I was watching some youtube stuff about moon hoaxes and illuminati (ancient aliens ftw!). It just started playing by accident and it worked. So I went back and recorded it
thanks to http://www.listentoyoutube.com/
then edited out the more obnoxious bits. (for some reason most of the second narrator's voice had a funky DC offset and a trebly spikiness)
This is also a lot different from my usual stuff. I don't normally use 4/4 beats or even beats that are regular enough to dance to. I hate dance music. So I thought this was kind of a challenge
as far as not disco, what about the claps? It's got hand claps on the 2 and 4 and off beat hats?
And I totally copped the Car Wash clap rhythm in a few places.
I guess I really am not disco...
Back to pegging my jeans.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
SEOUL DRAIN - AQUA's deeply disturbed cousin. More trance here, yet no Disco at all. Really good use of audio clips.
It doesn't sound like he does either :lol:

If anything it sounds like techno, to me anyways. I liked the vocal samples and stuff.

My gf really liked the Automobile song. It sounds like a mash up of the singer from the B-52's meets Danzig meets the Cars. Really neat style, and the mix sounds pro.

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:
It doesn't sound like he does either :lol:

If anything it sounds like techno, to me anyways. I liked the vocal samples and stuff.

My gf really liked the Automobile song. It sounds like a mash up of the singer from the B-52's meets Danzig meets the Cars. Really neat style, and the mix sounds pro.
Heh...whaddoiknow...

Is this better ???

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Haha, what?

This is trance

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Haha, what?

This is trance

okay that is totally not anythign I would identify with.
"Uplifting" is the exact opposite of what I am trying to achieve in my music.
Especially that fizzy sound that kind of music always seems to have.
Ick.
Makes me want to lick a cheese grater.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Wut, you ain't down wif da supersaw leads bruv? Shits soooo cash m8!! :lol:

The sad part is I actually listened to about 20 minutes of that mix after posting it :mrgreen:

Dance party in my office :dancer:

Haven't really listened to any trance since the mid 90's, it still sounds the same.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Wut, you ain't down wif da supersaw leads bruv? Shits soooo cash m8!! :lol:

The sad part is I actually listened to about 20 minutes of that mix after posting it :mrgreen:

Dance party in my office :dancer:

Haven't really listened to any trance since the mid 90's, it still sounds the same.
I've totally heard that stuff before, I had a neighbor who was some hot stuff producer or DJ. He had a ton of analog gear he sold when VA came out. Wish I had grabbed his drum machines.
He also had lots of parties in his space with literally piles of drugs and packs of insanely good looking young women.

I just never knew what that nitrous-helium sounding stuff was called.

PS I think he liked having a few punker-metaler types at his parties for an edgy vibe.
We just liked the 'refreshments'.

waveform:blue

Post by waveform:blue » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 am

Infinity Curve wrote:Haha, what?

This is trance

[really long video]
OK then...I don't know trance :oops:

I don't know Disco either; just listen to my sub :blink:

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 am

Infinity Curve wrote:I'm really interested to hear what was used on Silver Facet. Also, did you play everything live? It definitely doesn't sound sequenced, aside from the drums.
The drums are sequenced. Linn Samples. Most of the rest of the song used a V-Synth and a Yamaha PSR-740. I used the arpeggiator a little bit, but most of it was played live.
You can't synthesize love

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 am

For me, "DXsco" was just an incredible track, so it got my vote. The guy who played on that track, adamstan, is a real musician, not just a button-pushing, sequencer programmer like me! :lol: The solos were terrific! They showed great musicality.

I thought "Silver Facet" had the most disco-like vibe. Really true to the genre, and a close second to "DXsco."

Finally, there was "Automobile," which was a total John Fox ripoff -- and I LOVED it! It just wasn't "disco" enough for this comp, so I didn't vote for it.

Truly, all the tracks were great. Good job, everyone!

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Not many votes so far. Is it because the link to the soundcloud is a bit hidden?