VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

PICK YOUR FAVORITE SONG

Poll ended at Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Aquadance
3%
Seoul Drain
No votes
Dirty Disco
13%
Granny gets lucky
No votes
Automobile
10%
Never let the boogie stop
17%
DXsco
23%
Cyberfish
3%
Ponytail
No votes
Disco Demolition
20%
Gummy
3%
Silver Facet
7%

Total votes: 30

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Re: VSE Disco competition VOTING THREAD

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:18 pm

_dan wrote:Is the deadline for the next one the end of June or July?

@ninja: I'm definitely interested in the group collaboration, I don't know what kind of time I will have for it, but if there may be room for one more I'd like to hear the details.
I'd say the next should probably start beginning of July so it can run the whole month. I'm also interested in the collabo-comp so if there is any interest maybe we can run them side by side or something?

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:00 am

I like the stories behind the songs. Here's mine.

Song: Silver Facet

Influence: Sometimes I'll pick a synth at random and look for videos on Youtube. I recently searched "Waldorf Wave" and ran across a song by Max Mazzotta. I can't remember what it's called, but in the middle of the song, another riff started playing in my head, so I immediately stopped the video and started working out the notes. Shortly after, the Disco competition was announced, and it seemed like a fitting genre to use with this idea.

Gear used: Roland V-Synth, Yamaha PSR-740, Korg Poly-800 (almost), Magix Samplitude MX, Beatbox2 with Linn LM-1 samples, Roland M-160 mixer, crappy Dell laptop

How gear was used: Beatbox2 is a drum sequencer that comes with Magix. It has its shortcomings, but you can load your own samples. I used LM-1 samples for this track. It was the only sequencing I did. The PSR-740 was used for the muted sawtooth chords and the "string machine" sound toward the end (I think the sound is simply labelled "analog strings"). Everything else was the V-Synth. I mention the Poly-800 because there's a middle section that uses it extensively. It'll go on the album, but I cut it out for the competition because it doesn't quite have a Disco vibe to it. All my hardware is routed into the M-160 mixer, which is routed into the laptop's standard mic/line input. Not the most elegant setup but it gets the job done.

Biggest challenge: Getting the different sections to flow well from one to the next.

Biggest reward: Realizing that my creativity is starting to come back after a years long dry spell

Biggest disappointment: Finding out that a drummer friend of mine just got a MIDI capable electric kit just days AFTER the song was submitted. Would've preferred live drums.
You can't synthesize love

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:45 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
_dan wrote:Is the deadline for the next one the end of June or July?

@ninja: I'm definitely interested in the group collaboration, I don't know what kind of time I will have for it, but if there may be room for one more I'd like to hear the details.
I'd say the next should probably start beginning of July so it can run the whole month. I'm also interested in the collabo-comp so if there is any interest maybe we can run them side by side or something?
Yes, I think the next one should run in July.

As for "making-of" DXsco:

It was actually made in 5 hours at monday evening after the deadline. I started by creating the 4-bar drum sequence using TR-606 samples. Then I looped it and started to play along to it to work out chord progressions and overall structure. When I got it, I recorded "pilot track" with DX7 synth-brass in the right hand, and bass on the left, using Tyros as controller for MinimogueVA. Next I've re-recorded bass alone and quantized it to get that pseudo-303 feeling. After that I started to record other parts, using DX7 and - for one track - Hexter VST (which is based on DX7mkI). Then I added acoustic brass section from Tyros, and solo. I wanted to use Minimogue or my DIY synth for solo, but their sounds were too heavy to fit in a mix. So I used "TrumpetSaw" preset from Tyros, which to me sounds very much like trumpet preset on my D85 electone. The first synth-brass track has actually made it to the final cut, it is layered in the background.

DX7 and Tyros were recorded directly as audio tracks. Whole thing was recorded in Tracktion, with jbFerox and Ozone on the output.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:38 pm

waveform:blue wrote: Nice choon. I don't know how you didn't get any votes for this.
Easy. It's :
- secondary,
- not really well-thought (both as itself and as a part of this specific contest),
- lacks vocals (or a lead melody) in the "verse" part,
- does not tell any consistent story (all made up of short "hooks" glued together),
- last but not least - so quadratisch it even reminds me of my hate towards Sepultura when I first heard them: "a darn nice sound, but why do they have to play every riff EXACTLY FOUR TIMES?! :x "
waveform:blue wrote:BTW...I dig the Death Star disco ball logo. Did you make that ?
Nay, that came from the internets. Just keeps it somewhat connected to the original song's mood.
Black Tomorrow wrote: I recently searched "Waldorf Wave" and ran across a song by Max Mazzotta.
His Waldorf Wave videos are seriously good, can't recommend enough.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Agreed. Since then I've gone back and checked them out in full.
You can't synthesize love

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Track: Dirty Disco

Gear used: Pro Tools 10, Minimonsta, Mono/Poly, Drumtraks, Pod HD Pro, Eleven Rack, Ibanez Bass, Fender Telecaster, HS50 monitors, DT770 headphones

How gear was used: The song started with a bass line that I recorded to my friends computer with the Ibanez and Pod, then dropped it into Pro Tools later. I used my own Drumtraks samples to make the beat. Then I added the main synth melody that repeats using the Minimonsta with a grand piano blended in to add some attack.

The guitar parts were played on my Telecaster. The rhythm was clean with a little added tremolo and reverb. The "funk skunk" part was dry. The lead was a custom sound on the Eleven rack, basically modeled after a Mesa Boogie with a tube screamer and a CE-1 chorus.

The filter sweeping drones were done last minute on the Mono/Poly. I used the X-mod section and the LFO to get the crazy FM vibrato sounds it's known for. No effects were added to the MP4 due to time constraints but I also liked how raw it sounded as a result.

Production: I did all the song building in Pro Tools 10. Added some eq and compression to the kick to tighten it up. Same thing on the snare, plus a little reverb. The bass got a light wah effect. The Minimonsta has it's own built in delay so I used that. Panned synths slightly to the left, guitars to the right. Panned the drums a little, threw a limiter on the master track and called it a day.

Influence: I don't really listen to disco, so I guess whatever was still lodged in my brain from my childhood (late 80's). A little late for the era, but close enough to still know who Donna Summer and the BeeGees were.

Biggest challenge: Getting off my lazy a*s to record electronic music again...I've been tracking guitar a lot lately to my friends Ableton setup.

Biggest reward: Putting my own equipment to good use.

Biggest disappointment: Not disappointed at all. I had a great time participating!