DSI PRO 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: DSI PRO 2

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:25 am

Aaron2 wrote:
griffin avid wrote:Did h**l just freeze over?
↑↑↑↑
No, this is just Marc post-Moog, where is able to evaluate synths without everything being a comparison...to a certain unnamed synth .....by an unnamed company...unless I named it already... :cry:
"Post-Moog"? What, did Doty get fired or something? :cry:
I never worked for Moog.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sensory

Post by Sensory » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:53 am

Wow, just wow ! That thing is a workhorse for sure !

Those filters are sounding real good for a modern mono. I'm hearing tones reminiscent of the prophet five in that demo.

Definitely will have to reconsider my Sub37 purchase now.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 am

Ehhh... a $2k monosynth? When i can get the Prophet 12 module for less?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:59 am

Let me be the first to say:
Those filter tones in that video sound almost exactly the same as any other DSI synth.

Sensory

Post by Sensory » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 am

Nah, I have a Mopho key and the lp filter doesn't sound like that at all.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:12 am

Ashe37 wrote:Ehhh... a $2k monosynth? When i can get the Prophet 12 module for less?
But this is new and isn't just "one voice of a prophet-12" as he said. Watch the video please.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:33 am

And I do admit that is a great video. Everything is so on point. Very well done.
And I wonder if that short teaser close-up that shows Dave Smith Modulars is a teaser or is he going to be breaking up his current...offerings into, you know....modular bits. Well, no, I guess after all the units release over time, he would sell an entire set up....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:35 am

genshi wrote:Looks and sounds great. I still have to hold out for my pre-ordered Moog Sub 37, but this Pro 2 will be next for me. And it seems it will go great with the forthcoming Dave Smith Modulars... :shock: You did all notice that in the video right?

I did notice the Curtis Filter Module but miss the Dave Smith logo on it. Great catch ! But when I saw the module in the video I was thinking : "Who would get a curtis filter module in a modular setup ? :? "

Nonetheless, I think DSI decided to tackle the Minimoog territory in terms of Oscillator filters and with more features. And it covers the Evolver base as well. He could have added the Evolver digital osc waveform in the Pro 2. I especially like the control voltage outs for the unit to become the motherbrain of a modular setup.

Well I guess some of us are already considering selling their mono evolver keyboard for this....
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

ZeeOne
Gear: Just guitars for now

Post by ZeeOne » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:09 am

If they'd just forego the semi-weighted keys and real wood ends, they could probably sell this for less, and as a result, sell more of them.

Just sayin'.

The race is on for a true analog that can play chords for under a grand...whomever is willing to do this will sell so many their losses will quickly be offset.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 am

ZeeOne wrote:If they'd just forego the semi-weighted keys and real wood ends, they could probably sell this for less, and as a result, sell more of them.

Just sayin'.

The race is on for a true analog that can play chords for under a grand...whomever is willing to do this will sell so many their losses will quickly be offset.
a cheap keyboard on a synth of this stature would be a real disservice.

would take away from the experience, for me at least.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:01 am

I think the Pro 2 just ate the Sub 37's lunch. And it'll probably be in consumers' hands before the Sub. Well played, Dave. Well played. :)

Jonahs

Re: DSI speculation

Post by Jonahs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 am

Jabberwalky wrote:I love the design, the concept, and the modular integration. I like digital oscillators paired with analog filters as well. For sale blofeld, ms20mini, dx21, broken eps16, well used micron :lol:
ms20mini and dx21 will be great with pro2 tho. :lol: gotta use those midi and cv outs and cv and audio ins. :D and fix the eps! :P :)

i'm excited.

thing is going to be rad for fm (among other things), i think. with the CV outs + ins you should be able to setup feedback patches and with the sequencer able to control the mod matrix for fm depth, really nice envelopes and slew/phase/modulatable lfos...and then you could send the cv out or audio out and back in to step the sequencer..! i think it's going to be one of the nicer, more hands on, intuitive synths to setup complex fm with...apples and oranges in terms of interface, but it's more interesting to me as a synth than the new music easel and i really like what dsi did with the p12 interface. i found it an innovative way of managing complexity. i don't remember ever feeling like i was hunting for the right menu when i tried it.

if you run the modulations at audio rates and back in you get another 2 voices and you can modulate the modulators at audio rates, so i'm going think of it as an up to 6 voice fm synth, with analog filtering. :roll: :? personally i'd think of the 3 tuned delays as voices too, but no need to get carried away. :P

and i think the filter routing is a mod destination? wonder if parallel and serial is modable too.

anyway, you're likely going to be able to make it sounds like way more than 1 voice unless all you want to do is old school patches and even then you'd probably just mute some of the oscillators rather than use them all up. i think most people will at least be able to get 2 pseudo voices going pre-sequencer modulation and another 2 going with clever sequencer modulation. start delaying stuff and using the inputs and i don't see why you couldn't make full tracks. a monosynth without the required multi tracking is a wonderful thing. :lol: a monosynth for the groove box generation. ;)

i guess my only complaint is that i'd prefer tempest style pads because, really it's basically what i'd want in a semifixed architecture drum synth :P ... no, the only real issue i have is that the patch points are on the back so i'd have to run it into a patch bay or multiples or something to make live patching easier.

anyway. i was saving for a new computer, but if it's bug free and feature complete i'll hope for some nice labor day sales. :)

chipaudette

Re: DSI speculation

Post by chipaudette » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm

masstronaut wrote:
madmarkmagee wrote:Hmmm, in the media release it says the paraphonic mode shares a single envelope, while Dave said each voice gets their own amplifier envelope? :? ...
They probably still share the single VCA.

He doesn't say they have their own *amplifier* envelopes, just their own envelopes. Not exactly clear what that means but of course you could route different envelopes to OSC levels etc.
I assumed he meant that each voice had its own gate (ie, each voice could be either on or off) but that the overall signal path still had just one VCA at the end. If true, this would exactly mimic the behavior of the Mono/Poly, when the M/P is used in its "Poly" mode.

Chip

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 pm

For f**k sake! Why can't it just sound like a Mopho then I know I won't want it.
Of course it's not going to but it sounds lovely from that vid and I don't want any more synths (I do, just don't have the room)

Edit: does it have the mod routing learn function thingy as well?

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:10 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Edit: does it have the mod routing learn function thingy as well?
Next to the LFO section: