DSI PRO 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: DSI PRO 2

Post by Cybercardinal » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:35 pm

We thank Tom for that one! Image

I Image hybrids

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:40 pm

zoomtheline wrote:For f**k sake! Why can't it just sound like a Mopho then I know I won't want it.
If it sounds like a Prophet 12 you'll want it. At it's worst, with a little digital aliasing through subtle reverb after a touch of delay it adds some great character to a track.

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Cybercardinal wrote:We thank Tom for that one!
Yeah, I caught that, too. I took that to mean the multi-mode 2-pole filter was at least partially designed by Tom Oberheim!
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

chipaudette

Post by chipaudette » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm loving that it's not just 3-octaves, but that it's got those few extra keys (44-note!). The Mono/Poly is the same, and I think that those extra keys is an important difference.

On my 3-octave keyboards, I find that I'm changing the octave setting all the time. It really breaks my flow. On the Mono/Poly, it's much more rare. It totally works better for me.

Kudos to DSI for giving that little extra!

Chip

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 pm

if youre not changing octave settings with portamento on the mono/poly, then i just dont know
this thing does look like itd be a great pairing with the monopoly, sequencing the filter and oscs separately
and 4 cv outs woulf be a lotta fun with moogerfoogers too, who needs a modular to patch things together? ;)

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Sheherezadeh wrote:
chimney chop wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:my question... do you get this, a sub 37, or both, just spaced way apart in time

the audio demo sounded so awesome. it has things none of my other synths have.
or an MFB Dominion
...Or a Korg Odyssey. :dontknow: We all need to start digging in our couch cushions...
The Korg Odyssey is a no brainer for sure, just at what point to get it. I can't decide now if the Sub 37 would have enough of a "new" sound compared to the Little Phatty, even with the Paraphonic mode. I don't want overlap. But if I did get it, I'd want the tribute edition, as those seem to hold their value the best, and look the best too.

And the Little Phatty's selling price is so low now, it's almost like it's not worth selling. What do you guys think? Does the Sub 37 really trump the Phatty?

Sorry for the off-topicness, but I guess the same question applies for the DSI stuff too-- how much different is the P2 than the Evolver? Is it worth getting an evolver or P2 if you have a mopho/tetra?

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm

chipaudette wrote:I'm loving that it's not just 3-octaves, but that it's got those few extra keys (44-note!). The Mono/Poly is the same, and I think that those extra keys is an important difference.

On my 3-octave keyboards, I find that I'm changing the octave setting all the time. It really breaks my flow. On the Mono/Poly, it's much more rare. It totally works better for me.

Kudos to DSI for giving that little extra!

Chip

Firstly - this is stunning. an amazing instrument which, with the Sub37, defines a true evolution in the subtractive synth.

Secondly - you make an excellent point. I own a MonoPoly and the fact that it has 4 independently controllable oscillators, and a paraphonic mode, give it bags of character and awesome possibilities. For one thing, the arpeggiator cycling round the individual oscillators all configured differently allows the MonoPoly to produce endless rhythmic patterns.

With this instrument's similar possibilities, including the plethora of amazing new features - multiple controlled filters, modulation matrix, amazing sequencer; this instrument will offer staggering creative possibilities.

amazing!

chipaudette

Re: DSI speculation

Post by chipaudette » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 pm

chipaudette wrote: I assumed he meant that each voice had its own gate (ie, each voice could be either on or off) but that the overall signal path still had just one VCA at the end. If true, this would exactly mimic the behavior of the Mono/Poly, when the M/P is used in its "Poly" mode.
I went back and watched the video. Turns out that the Pro2 is more capable than I thought with regards to its Paraphony. Unlike the Mono/Poly it really does sound like each voice has its own amplitude envelope...if you listen when he's stabbing the chords, they don't just gate off when his fingers lift off the keys...they decay. So, to my ears, the do indeed have some envelope capability. Dave didn't lie. Cool.

Now, to be clear, this doesn't absolutely require an analog VCA per oscillator...these are digital oscillators, so you can adjust the volume profile (ie, their amplitude envelope) digitally. This is perfectly sensible and a great improvement over a paraphony implemented simply with gate on/off at each oscillator.

Go DSI!

Chip

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 am

Don't think I'd sell my MEK for one of these, but something's gonna hafta go in order for me to add one in. And that video demo sold me- for the sequencer alone. Tempest, MEK, and Pro 2 should make for an awesome little trio of DSI synths. What a powerhouse.
Bassist, synth junkie

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:13 am

I guessed correctly about the awesome sequencer! Dave even called something about the synth, "awesome" in his video. Don't remember now, what it was.. Actually, a lot of stuff is awesome about it. :D

I like how animated Dave gets with his hands, during his videos! I knew this synth would be pretty cool!

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:53 am

I believe things happen for a reason and the timing was just spot on.

I just won a Pro One 2 weeks ago on ebay and was super excited. The seller messaged me 4 days after payment to inform me that the Synth I had won was in dire need of maintenance and refunded me.

Happy Happy Joy Joy. This falls right in line with what I was willing to spend and hopefully crushes my urge to splurge on a Pro One, SH 09 or SH 101.

Always wanted a SCI/DSI when I couldn't afford one. Bought the mopho 4 last month and it has been my favorite Synth to learn or relearn. Big fan of Dave Smiths Instruments and this is going to get some hype no matter what the erektron crowd says. This is on my list next.

So anybody know the fastest way to own one of these?
"Music is the drug"

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Re: DSI speculation

Post by sol-bass-rec » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:58 am

I went back and watched the video. Turns out that the Pro2 is more capable than I thought with regards to its Paraphony. Unlike the Mono/Poly it really does sound like each voice has its own amplitude envelope...if you listen when he's stabbing the chords, they don't just gate off when his fingers lift off the keys...they decay. So, to my ears, the do indeed have some envelope capability. Dave didn't lie. Cool.
Go DSI!

Chip
Chip I was going to say the same thing about those cords.

A new engine totally different than the Prophets too. Going to be a lot of fun stabbin away at this.
"Music is the drug"

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:07 am

zoomtheline wrote:For f**k sake! Why can't it just sound like a Mopho then I know I won't want it.
Of course it's not going to but it sounds lovely from that vid and I don't want any more synths
LOL so so so true.

how many folks are doing a synthetic liquidation right now?

We are heading into an expensively fun analog digital phase with gear.

Well if anybody lives in FL, GA, KY, NC, SC... has construction foreman experience and needs a job to fund this PM me.

I can pay you so you can buy one of these so I can play one of these. Don't tell the boss though ;')
"Music is the drug"

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Here's hoping Nick Batt get's one to play with for all of us.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Waiting for Katsunori Ujie's (musictrackjp) review of it too :)