DSI PRO 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Re: DSI PRO 2

Post by chimney chop » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Here's hoping Nick Batt get's one to play with for all of us.
+1

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:12 am

chimney chop wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:Here's hoping Nick Batt get's one to play with for all of us.
+1
+1. And hopefully, it won't be like the Elektron situation where they send their own demonstrators and don't let Nick touch the damned thing! :lol:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:53 am

Cancelled my Sub 37 now to wait and see how everything all pans out... I think the Pro-2 would add to anyone's sound who doesn't already have the P12. I don't think Moog has changed their voice architecture enough to warrant having double modern Moog. Maybe I'll try to get a P2 used eventually. And the korgyssey will definitely need to be bought.

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 am

This is now the official dsi forum. Think all the elektron purists and Tempest Haters killed that but this is going to make a lot of wives mad.
"Music is the drug"

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I don't know what you are trying to say about Elektron purists, there are none here but there are a few that thing the Elektron products are some of the most forward thinking and versatile instruments out there, and that's me included.

Don't knock until you have tried.

Anyway, I'm not cancelling the Sub37 for this but I will try it out when it's in the shops and see if the sound does anything for me.

Just to annoy you more, The analogfour does pretty much all of what the pro2 does, and have everything per voice ;)

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:12 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I don't know what you are trying to say about Elektron purists, there are none here but there are a few that thing the Elektron products are some of the most forward thinking and versatile instruments out there, and that's me included.

Don't knock until you have tried.

Anyway, I'm not cancelling the Sub37 for this but I will try it out when it's in the shops and see if the sound does anything for me.

Just to annoy you more, The analogfour does pretty much all of what the pro2 does, and have everything per voice ;)
This man speaks the truth!

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:35 pm

e the a4 has no cv ins though does it?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:18 pm

some sarcastic so n so wrote:The analogfour does PRETTY MUCH all of what the pro2 does ;)
There is no doubt that this pro 2 is a powerful beasty but it's not revolutionary. The mod matrix is revolutionary though, that is one of those "duh, why hasn't this been done earlier?" Type situations.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:17 am

What a beauty! I really wish I had 2k under the mattress right now. I was gonna start a custom dotcom system but this has me rethinking. I've really come to appreciate the added flexibilty of hybrids compared to the standard VCO/DCO design, plus I just love the way they sound...different.

Hallu

Post by Hallu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 am

Swayze wrote:What a beauty! I really wish I had 2k under the mattress right now. I was gonna start a custom dotcom system but this has me rethinking. I've really come to appreciate the added flexibilty of hybrids compared to the standard VCO/DCO design, plus I just love the way they sound...different.
No synth is standard

The Pro-2 sounds really great, I'll probably never buy it but I am interested to hear others use it.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 am

Hallu wrote:No synth is standard
True dat, but you gotta understand there are still a lotta people out there that will pass on this 'cause it's not fully "analog." They'll come to their senses sooner or later. The Pro2 seems like a pro1, analog4 and mono/poly on steroids, I'm impressed. I'm curious how many waveforms there are to choose from. Does it have more than the Prophet 12?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:54 am

sol-bass-rec wrote:This is now the official dsi forum. Think all the elektron purists and Tempest Haters killed that
What happen to the Dsi forum? I did ask in help...

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38 pm

zoomtheline wrote:
some sarcastic so n so wrote:The analogfour does PRETTY MUCH all of what the pro2 does ;)
There is no doubt that this pro 2 is a powerful beasty but it's not revolutionary. The mod matrix is revolutionary though, that is one of those "duh, why hasn't this been done earlier?" Type situations.

There are dozens of synthesizers and workstations with a Mod matrix. A few examples include the Yamaha AN1x and EX5 and Logic Pro ES2. And of course the Mod routing on the OASYS and Kronos are staggering too.

However - I'm not in any way arguing against the power of this new little beast. Like many here, I've resolved to buy one as soon as it can be acquired. Stunning new instrument.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Curious about how much overlap the P2 and the P12 will share. What a fun little piece of kit this looks to be, but if the P12 is only $500 more, why not save and get the flagship? I realize this has several abilities/attributes the P12 doesn't, however how much are said attributes/abilities going to sway buyers from the P12.

As always, in opinion based convos, we will have to see after people like us get our grubbing mitts on it and play around.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 am

knolan wrote: There are dozens of synthesizers and workstations with a Mod matrix. A few examples include the Yamaha AN1x and EX5 and Logic Pro ES2. And of course the Mod routing on the OASYS and Kronos are staggering too.
With a "learn" function?

I have not used any of those apart from ES2 but cannot bear softsynths so do not know it well.