DSI PRO 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
celebutante

Re: DSI PRO 2

Post by celebutante » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 am

griffin avid wrote:Unfortunately, you sign a form and give them a way to charge you in case you don't return it in the specified time.
Pus You are responsible for EVERYTHING.
So, I'm sure they would LOVE for you to lose it in the mail.
They would say no problem and charge your card in the next 20 mins.
Not to get into specifics (and I can't really speak for DSI, as I've never reviewed anything for them), but nothing could be further from the truth, at least if you're reviewing for a reputable publication. I've never given anyone a credit card, and no one's every tried to charge me for a review instrument that wasn't returned quickly.

In some cases I've had to call reps and practically force them to take stuff back. That said, this very likely more the case with big companies as opposed to smaller ones like DSI/Moog/et al.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

chipaudette

Post by chipaudette » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:19 pm

This just popped up on Matrixsynth:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/06/dsi- ... ts-by.html

To my ears, good sounds!

Chip

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Robert Rich is the man. Figures it would take his efforts for me to GAS on a DSI machine. I'm liking this synth!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:40 pm

That said, this very likely more the case with big companies...

Or expensive gear. Also, if you work for a 'reputable publication' it's probably not YOUR card they'd be charging, but instead the business account of your 'reputable publication'. So you might get nothing more than an email asking if your review is done and if you are ready to return the loaner.

Unless of course anyone is inclined to believe that companies send out review units and arent too concerned with what happens after that. If that media outlet has been around a while, they have the information on file long before anything goes out in the mail. And in the context I replied in- it is factual because DSI would NOT send out a piece to an individual for review, without that information, because they asked to do a write up.

Matter of fact, I can't think of a company that ships hardware without requesting charging information.
And I'd like to know what kind of item you got sent for review that you were (basically) allowed to keep and you had to suggest sending it back. And they had NO information on you -in case you never did send it back.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

_dan

Post by _dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:09 pm

that demo video is very convincing :cry:

_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 am

So would it be appropriate to post the website and discount code here if I found 15% off?

Has anybody else found better than 15%?
"Music is the drug"

anotherscott

Post by anotherscott » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:16 am

bhrama wrote:Curious about how much overlap the P2 and the P12 will share. What a fun little piece of kit this looks to be, but if the P12 is only $500 more, why not save and get the flagship? I realize this has several abilities/attributes the P12 doesn't, however how much are said attributes/abilities going to sway buyers from the P12.
Besides its own unique attributes, the Pro 2 is more appealing to me than the P12 because it would likely be a third keyboard in my gigging rig, and the smaller size and lower weight of the Pro 2 would work better for me. I'm not sure about this vs. the Sub 37, though, that's a tough one. I'm such a sucker for the Moog sound. But the Pro 2 has some nice features, and I prefer to have 44 keys, and it weighs less besides. And the 4-note vs. 2-note paraphonic ability might come in handy.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:56 am

I've been one of the sound designers working on the factory bank for the Pro 2. Here's what some of the things I came up with sound like. This synth is awesome!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:29 pm

matia wrote:I've been one of the sound designers working on the factory bank for the Pro 2. Here's what some of the things I came up with sound like. This synth is awesome!
From the demos I've heard so far this sounds rich, sweet and juicy.
Since you've worked with the Prophet 12, how would you compare them?

Thanks for posting this, great job! :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Matia,

Can I share this amongst the forums?

Thanks for posting. Always wanted a Prophet. Recently bought my 1st DSI "MOPHO4" and I'm in love. Pro Two will complete my needs! Beautiful
"Music is the drug"

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks guys. Yes it's absolutely fine to send the video around :-)

As for the Prophet 12 vs Pro 2 thing, I wrote something about that in another forum:

the Pro 2 and the Prophet 12 are very very different concepts. The Pro 2 is sort of like a swiss army knife mono synth with tons of connectivity in the context of a bigger studio and it sounds rather different than the Prophet 12. The Prophet 12 is a string, pad, evolving sound, sound bed, ... etc. workhorse polysynth. Very different ideas. If going with the Pro 2, I'd get a little Synthesizer.com rig and a vintage poly and I'd be a happy man ;-) (don't forget a drum machine too!)

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:48 pm

matia wrote:If going with the Pro 2, I'd get a little Synthesizer.com rig and a vintage poly and I'd be a happy man ;-) (don't forget a drum machine too!)
Funny, that's very close to my plan. The question for me is which to get first, Pro 2 or Modular. What I find really exciting about the Pro 2 is it's versatility. I've been pining for a Pro One, Prophet 5 and/or VS. Now there's one synth that can give me a taste of all 3. No repairs to worry about and at a fraction of the cost. I'm sold.

Thanks for the demo matia, this synth sounds great to my ears. Keep it up, I wanna hear more. :D

Blue Orion Synthwave

Post by Blue Orion Synthwave » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:23 pm

matia wrote:I've been one of the sound designers working on the factory bank for the Pro 2.
That metallic patch (starting at 5:18) is quite stunning.

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:11 am

Putting my order in this week. Can't wait. Passing up a deal on a Jupiter 6 to grab one of the first Pro 2.
"Music is the drug"

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 am

matia wrote:Thanks guys. Yes it's absolutely fine to send the video around :-)

As for the Prophet 12 vs Pro 2 thing, I wrote something about that in another forum:

the Pro 2 and the Prophet 12 are very very different concepts. The Pro 2 is sort of like a swiss army knife mono synth with tons of connectivity in the context of a bigger studio and it sounds rather different than the Prophet 12. The Prophet 12 is a string, pad, evolving sound, sound bed, ... etc. workhorse polysynth. Very different ideas. If going with the Pro 2, I'd get a little Synthesizer.com rig and a vintage poly and I'd be a happy man ;-) (don't forget a drum machine too!)
Let's see, I have a 22sp dot.com and a Prophet-5 (and an SEM). I'll be needing that Pro 2 and I should be set. :D
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com