DSI PRO 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: DSI PRO 2

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:38 am

griffin avid wrote:Matter of fact, I can't think of a company that ships hardware without requesting charging information.
And I'd like to know what kind of item you got sent for review that you were (basically) allowed to keep and you had to suggest sending it back. And they had NO information on you -in case you never did send it back.

Dude, I don't know what you're talking about. I've never been requested charging information. Ever.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm

matia wrote:Thanks guys. Yes it's absolutely fine to send the video around :-)

As for the Prophet 12 vs Pro 2 thing, I wrote something about that in another forum:

the Pro 2 and the Prophet 12 are very very different concepts. The Pro 2 is sort of like a swiss army knife mono synth with tons of connectivity in the context of a bigger studio and it sounds rather different than the Prophet 12. The Prophet 12 is a string, pad, evolving sound, sound bed, ... etc. workhorse polysynth. Very different ideas. If going with the Pro 2, I'd get a little Synthesizer.com rig and a vintage poly and I'd be a happy man ;-) (don't forget a drum machine too!)
Great demo.. Any idea what the "complex" waveshapes are? Does the Pro 2 have the same wavetable "modulation" ability as the p12, or are they basically just static waves.

Also curious what your take on the filters is compared to the usual DSI CEM? Sending the different oscs into different filters is interesting too.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Does the Pro 2 have the same wavetable "modulation" ability as the p12, or are they basically just static waves.
From the specs site:

Oscillators

Four DSP-based oscillators plus one sine wave sub oscillator
Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
13 Superwaves
Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
Shape modulation/pulse width/superwave detune amount
Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
Hard sync, individual Glide, Oscillator Slop

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:18 pm

matia wrote:If going with the Pro 2, I'd get a little Synthesizer.com rig and a vintage poly and I'd be a happy man ;-) (don't forget a drum machine too!)
What if I already have a P12 (+Tempest)? Totally intrigued by the P2, and was set on a Sub37 upon release. Now I'm torn between which to get...

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:22 pm

bhrama wrote:What if I already have a P12 (+Tempest)? Totally intrigued by the P2, and was set on a Sub37 upon release. Now I'm torn between which to get...
It depends on what you want. Do you wanna add some Moog sound to your arsenal, or is it about functionality? The Sub 37 would add some obvious variety to your setup, although the new filters of the Pro 2 might add some new colors as well. In case you want the Sub 37 because of its particular sound you should get one. If you're looking for more functionality, flexibility, and a prospective modular integration, the Pro 2 wins.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Poptones wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:Does the Pro 2 have the same wavetable "modulation" ability as the p12, or are they basically just static waves.
From the specs site:

Oscillators

13 Superwaves
Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Poptones wrote:
From the specs site:

Oscillators

13 Superwaves
thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.
I think it does. It says "Shape modulation". But I may have misunderstood you.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Poptones wrote:I think it does. It says "Shape modulation". But I may have misunderstood you.
ok... I guess I would assume that just referred to the "standard" waveshapes as opposed to the complex waves. Also curious about the "superwaves".

I have to say they do a really bad just with the specifics on these things... you literally had to dig through the manual on the P12 just to see what the waveshapes were.

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Could the Pro 2 be the reason there are 3 Poly Evolver Keys and 1 rack on Ebay this week? These are US listings
Poly to Mono doesn't make much sense but maybe it's the DSI loyalty.

1 Auction at > $100, 6 days
1 Auction starting at $1400, 6 days
1 Buy it now at $2000, 5 days

Rack Auction is at $0.99, 6 days

Tempting as it is, sticking with the Pro 2
"Music is the drug"

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Poptones wrote:I think it does. It says "Shape modulation". But I may have misunderstood you.
ok... I guess I would assume that just referred to the "standard" waveshapes as opposed to the complex waves. Also curious about the "superwaves".

I have to say they do a really bad just with the specifics on these things... you literally had to dig through the manual on the P12 just to see what the waveshapes were.
Yeah, can be a bit confusing sometimes. As I understood it, though, the Pro 2 offers the same features as the P-12 with regard to the oscillators and the according modulation options. It 'just' adds the 13 Superwaves on top of that.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:52 am

regarding the oscillators they are the same as the prophet 12 in terms of modulation and post oscillator/pre filter waveshaping ... but there's more waveforms and because of the new voice architecture they sound a lot beefier than the 12 in terms of bottom end ...

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 am

I wasn't gonna buy no more gear this year BUT then I seen this PRO 2 so it looks like the credit card will be out again end of August. Been watching a couple of videos on YouTube and i'm sold on this one. Really does sound big. Just what I was looking for.

Rob

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
griffin avid wrote:Matter of fact, I can't think of a company that ships hardware without requesting charging information.
And I'd like to know what kind of item you got sent for review that you were (basically) allowed to keep and you had to suggest sending it back. And they had NO information on you -in case you never did send it back.

Dude, I don't know what you're talking about. I've never been requested charging information. Ever.

I haven't either, and I regularly review $8,000+ workstations.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:

I haven't either, and I regularly review $8,000+ workstations.

What kind of workstation was that for $8K? I used to work in a Post Production house, that had a big Audio Bay, located on Santa Monica Blvd., in Hollywood. That was a long time ago, back in the early 90s, when digital synths would've still been a big deal. I have no idea what the audio editing consoles cost that they used back then.

Today, video editing and color grading consoles, are $30K on the cheap end and easily go up to $100K to $180K.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 am

SeventhStar wrote:
Ashe37 wrote: I haven't either, and I regularly review $8,000+ workstations.
What kind of workstation was that for $8K? I used to work in a Post Production house, that had a big Audio Bay, located on Santa Monica Blvd., in Hollywood. That was a long time ago, back in the early 90s, when digital synths would've still been a big deal. I have no idea what the audio editing consoles cost that they used back then.

Today, video editing and color grading consoles, are $30K on the cheap end and easily go up to $100K to $180K.
Dell T5600. And a iBuypower P900 before that.