Devo Hardcore Live

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Devo Hardcore Live

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:10 am

Just saw the remaining boys from Akron last night.
(RIP Bob2)
Mark brought the analog relics out on tour. Though to be honest, I could only make out the Mini on the right. The other synth may have been an Oberheim two voice or an Octave Cat?
Not sure. At one point in the show I think he said 'both' were minis, one was from 72 the other 73.
Which confused me because he was playing a 3rd synth that appeared to be poly, but only the keyboard was visible. If both the synths on top were mini's they looked very different form each other from my seat.
Perhaps one was the famous 6 osc custom.
Anyone else catch them on the tour? Or get less cruddy photos than mine?
I'll attempt to sharpen them a bit and upload in a few.

Great show. Too bad they didnt play "Golden Energy".
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Re: Devo Hardcore Live

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:17 am

sorry this is the best I can do.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

plexicube

Post by plexicube » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I was there too and wondering what synths were being played offstage by whoever was filling in for Bob 2. It was pretty funny watching the crowd thin out confusedly during the 1974 era tunes. Golden energy would have been great, but I was so happy to hear Soo Bawlz live.
Musicist and programmator.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:50 pm

plexicube wrote:I was there too and wondering what synths were being played offstage by whoever was filling in for Bob 2. It was pretty funny watching the crowd thin out confusedly during the 1974 era tunes. Golden energy would have been great, but I was so happy to hear Soo Bawlz live.
Indeed it was great to hear some of the older tunes live. Especially the road house boogie styling of a few!
Loved the banter they had about the Analog synths reliability towards the end there. Jerry seemed to be being quite snarky.

Ps. yes I bought one of each shirt.

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Mark had 4 synths visible on his table at the Oakland/San Francisco/Bay Area show.

He had a Moog Voyager right next to a MiniMoog. These were set up and tilted in such a way that you could not see clearly what else was behind them. He actually didn't play either of the Moogs very much, relative to the hidden (but supposedly vintage and analog) keyboards.

He also had an iPad or some kind of touchscreen tablet.

They definitely had some keyboards sort of hidden offstage (one looked like a MicroKorg), and I believe they were played by a human and sequenced (for at least one song, the drummer had an earpiece in). This supplementation was minimal, though - most of what they played was clearly the 4 of them.

It was a great show, and I was really surprised at how much of the singing Gerry did!
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah I was up on the balcony so I could not see too well with my 45 year old eyes.
I wonder if either of the other synths were the EML synths?