Synth Horror Stories

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Synth Horror Stories

Post by knolan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:11 pm

two other synth 'performance' disasters:

- years ago I was the 'synth guy' for a fairly large variety show. During a rendition of the big fat brassy solo from Europe's "The final countdown" I hit the worst bum-note possible. Destroyed ALL credibility in the rest of my contribution on the night!

- even before, as a teenager playing Juno106 for a Folk Group christmas concert, during a soulful performance of rod Stewart's "I am sailing" I was providing white-noise background 'sea' effect when I brushed off the VCA fader which was at maximum. The result was close to a "white noise explosion" sound, and upon it fading away someone from the audience shouted up "hey mister, I think your ship is sinking"...where upon the entire audience burst into laughter.

I don't play live much these days :-)

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 am

Do soft synths count?

My father gave me this awesome tiny Vaio computer back in about 2006. I was walking across the room carrying it with the screen open, when one of my cats decided that to modulate itself with my moving legs would be a fun thing to do. Of course I tripped over and fell, the computer screen hitting a glass of water. Simultaneously the screen cracked, and had a drink.

Unfortunately that Vaio was never functional again.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:01 am

In mid-2008 I got a ratty Juno 106 for free from my high school. One voice was dead, so I removed the voice board and then sold it to Space6oy.

We moved to California a few months later and I left the rest of the synth behind. My mom accidentally threw it away a year later when she came back to get the rest of our belongings. Not a heart stopping loss, but still unfortunate since it would have made a very good parts unit.
soundcloud.com/vectron

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 am

Not so long ago the power lead for my SK50d died and it was one with two pins. So I hacked a space for a standard three pin socket by the side of the old one. I turned it on to see if it worked forgetting to unplug the old one and got a big shock, a bang and a smell. It tripped the whole house. I unplugged them both and had a look inside, everything seemed ok so tried it again and it worked fine.
A while later I had moved the thing to a different position so I have to reach over without looking to turn it on. The first time I did it I stuck my finger straight into the old socket and got a tasty buzz. I really should disconnect it to be honest ha. It just covered over with electrical tape at the moment.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Infrasound wrote:Do soft synths count? [...]
I don´t think so. Computers and software can easily be replaced these days. Try this with a hardware synth, preferably a classic one.

A broken computer is annoying nonetheless.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:40 pm

knolan wrote:Not exactly on theme but you remind me of this:

When I was in college I entered a "Battle of the Bands" gig and proceeded to play my own electronic compositions on a Casio 1000P, a Korg MonoPoly and a Juno106.

For my efforts the audience rained (heavily) tomato ketchup at me while the organisers of the gig had a bucket of water and feathers ready from above. Thankfully the water missed my synths, but my MonoPoly still proudly harbours tomato ketchup down the side of a few of the keys. Have to say, the ketchup and feathers gave the Casio a bit more character too !!
That's awful! I can't imagine how upset you must have been. :(
Comparison is the thief of joy.

paturn
Gear: Quasi Midi Sirius , Waldork Pulse 2 , Korg es-1 , MPC500 , lots of random circuit bent and other wise modded gear .
Band: Morlox, Syphilis Sauna

Post by paturn » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm

I think the worse thing thats ever happened to any gear of mine was this one time I was playing an industrial set at this dive bar and the bar tender thru a bottle of beer at me , it smashed against my yamaha cs-5 and I was really freaked out and pissed but i got home opened it up and let it dry and it worked fine .. yeesh .

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 pm

paturn wrote:I think the worse thing thats ever happened to any gear of mine was this one time I was playing an industrial set at this dive bar and the bar tender thru a bottle of beer at me , it smashed against my yamaha cs-5 and I was really freaked out and pissed but i got home opened it up and let it dry and it worked fine .. yeesh .
Try this with a Blofeld.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Not a synth, but I left my Farfisa organ at a friends house for a few weeks and then picked it up and went to a gig. The organ didn't work. I opened it up and a family of mice had moved in and eaten through a number of wire harnesses. I had it back working the next night.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 pm

A few years back some friends and I rented this house. We were pretty heavy into drinking at that time. A few weeks prior to this incident, my friend had hooked up with some girl who I hated... a chick who also just so happened to be "sexually liberal." Anyhow, he hooked up with her a few times and I kept talking trash about her all of the time since I thought she was a lousy human being. Anyway, one night I had a lady friend over and we had just finishing up having a little fun. I had nothing on but some boxers, and my friend got home from the bars around 3:30 a.m.. He runs upstars and literally bashed my bedroom door in (it was cheap) and then stomps in my room, screaming and looking completely out of his mind. Red-faced, complete blackout mode. He grabs an Ensoniq Mirage and I'm just sitting there in bed kinda dumbfounded... the girl I was with had jumped up and ran into my closet. He comes over to me and starts to bludgeon me in the head with the keyboard, and then starts to pummel me with his fists. Eventually someone came in and pulled him off of me. I got a lot of gooseggs on my head and my Mirage got a bit battered, but it still worked. :)

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:41 pm

yeah i cant imagine a mirage coming out worse in a competition with your head
yeeesh i blew a couple fuses in my mono/poly a couple days ago adjusting it using gigantic probes
i think i felt a year or two drop off right there

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 am

What was wrong with the guy? :shock:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:17 am

Hybrid88 wrote:What was wrong with the guy? :shock:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 am

I'd like to hear the other guy's side of the story. The 'I kept talking trash' part and his problem with someone being 'sexually liberal' sounds like this dude is somewhat of a 'lousy human being' as well.
Bludgeoning with a Mirage was unnecessary though. He should have just told you to mind your own f**k business.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:58 pm

I hope you got some great sounding 8-bit samples.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.