What was the first song you learned on your first synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: What was the first song you learned on your first synth?

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:43 am

Aaron2 wrote:"Magic Fly" by Space, played on a Korg Poly-800. Not the whole thing, of course, but just the melody.

And this wasn't in 1986, either. It was 2013. :lol:
Dude. that album RULES.

My first synth was a Juno 6 and at first I thought it was broken, because it didn't make any sound. Then I started moving sliders :mrgreen:

Alas, it was all just originals for me....I may have figured out a melody or two from Koyaanisquatsi? Yup, that's how weird I am!

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:"Magic Fly" by Space, played on a Korg Poly-800. Not the whole thing, of course, but just the melody.

And this wasn't in 1986, either. It was 2013. :lol:
Dude. that album RULES.

My first synth was a Juno 6 and at first I thought it was broken, because it didn't make any sound. Then I started moving sliders :mrgreen:
Great story! It reminds me of the instruction manual for the Moog/Realistic MG-1 where it says something like, "A synthesizer is not a piano. Just because you press a key doesn't mean the instrument will make a sound." :lol:

dkhbrit

Post by dkhbrit » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 pm

I think it was Nightporter by Japan

Karenina
Gear: Roland EM-50

Post by Karenina » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:40 am

In my case, "Color my world" by Chicago.
Karenina Yáñez Vázquez

Mexico City, Mexico

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 am

Yamaha pss480 - Lovesong by The Cure.

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:08 am

The first synths I had access to were at my university music department. I don't know if it was the first thing, but I distictly remember patching up the moog modular, arp 2600, and EMS Synthi and doing a quick rendition of the Dr. Who theme. If I remember the moog did the bass dirge, the arp doing the theme and the Synthi doing wierd sound effects in the background (the capacitive keyboard on it never worked right, so that was about all it was good at.)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:26 am

abruzzi wrote:The first synths I had access to were at my university music department. I don't know if it was the first thing, but I distictly remember patching up the moog modular, arp 2600, and EMS Synthi and doing a quick rendition of the Dr. Who theme. If I remember the moog did the bass dirge, the arp doing the theme and the Synthi doing wierd sound effects in the background (the capacitive keyboard on it never worked right, so that was about all it was good at.)
So you've never had access to decent gear, huh? Pity, really. :lol:

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:43 am

Aaron2 wrote:
abruzzi wrote:The first synths I had access to were at my university music department. I don't know if it was the first thing, but I distictly remember patching up the moog modular, arp 2600, and EMS Synthi and doing a quick rendition of the Dr. Who theme. If I remember the moog did the bass dirge, the arp doing the theme and the Synthi doing wierd sound effects in the background (the capacitive keyboard on it never worked right, so that was about all it was good at.)
So you've never had access to decent gear, huh? Pity, really. :lol:

Sadly the Synthi was sold ~10 years ago to fund a complete overhaul of the moog, but the moog and the arp are stuffed in a closet now and haven't probably haven't been plugged in five years. I'm tempted to start a short career as a janitor...until I can get a master key.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:39 pm

The melody to Funky Town, naturally.